Coronavirus thread

DBTrek

Re: Coronavirus thread

Post by DBTrek » Tue May 19, 2020 1:40 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:38 pm

you are 100% right. I think Cleese was involved with a bunch of those Monty python movies, which were funny as hell and Staples of my childhood. I like quite a bit of british humour (notice the spelling).

This thread turned gayour.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue May 19, 2020 1:43 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:40 pm
heydaralon wrote:

you are 100% right. I think Cleese was involved with a bunch of those Monty python movies, which were funny as hell and Staples of my childhood. I like quite a bit of british humour (notice the spelling).

You are not being fayour (notice the phoenetic spelling).
Shikata ga nai

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue May 19, 2020 1:48 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:16 pm
The soyest Euro-American on the boards throws in with the self-congratulatory back patter.
You could hear a pin drop.
The shock.

:lol:
Got your soy right here dipstick.
A76F5B15-A5D4-442B-AD73-A82B73FD0AF7.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue May 19, 2020 1:54 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:28 pm
.... and does John Cleese like the British?
Or, as a brilliant comedian, does he recognize what a waste of space they are a far as comedy is concerned?

Cuz I got some great John Cleese articles/videos where he spells out exactly what's up with the Brits.
:twisted:
John Cleese is a bitter, burnt out has-been whose latest contributions to humour are pretty cringeworthy. He hasn't lived in Britain for a long time so his knowledge of the current British comedy scene is probably as poor as your own.
Apart from A Fish Named Wanda in the '80s he's not really made anything good since Fawlty Towers in the early '70s.
Palin, Jones and Gilliam all had more successful careers and that might be a part of the reason for his bitterness. He never kept up, his humour became very dated and stopped being funny 30 years ago.
You could probably date the beginning of his decline as around the time he moved to America.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue May 19, 2020 1:56 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:48 pm
DBTrek wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:16 pm
The soyest Euro-American on the boards throws in with the self-congratulatory back patter.
You could hear a pin drop.
The shock.

:lol:
Got your soy right here dipstick.

A76F5B15-A5D4-442B-AD73-A82B73FD0AF7.jpeg
Most comedy is by definition not funny. And America has its fair share of sanctimonious nanny staters. Case in point, Lena Dunham, Amy Schumer, Stephen Colbert, Jon Stewart, Louis CK and Judd Apatow (and everyone involved in the Girl Ghostbusters movie) to name a few. In fact, most standup even professional standup is terrible.

patrice o'neal and Steve Harvey are the only two comics in America that I know of that can discuss race and society without coming off as preachy and political. Steve Harvey is even funny on Family Feud. He has always had good standup. O'neal's funniest stuff was not even his standup, but rather his contributions to Opie and Anthony, especially when it came to discussing movies.
Shikata ga nai

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue May 19, 2020 2:03 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:54 pm
DBTrek wrote:
Or, as a brilliant comedian, does he recognize what a waste of space they are a far as comedy is concerned?

Cuz I got some great John Cleese articles/videos where he spells out exactly what's up with the Brits.
John Cleese is a bitter, burnt out has-been whose latest contributions to humour are pretty cringeworthy. He hasn't lived in Britain for a long time so his knowledge of the current British comedy scene is probably as poor as your own.
Apart from A Fish Named Wanda in the '80s he's not really made anything good since Fawlty Towers in the early '70s.
Palin, Jones and Gilliam all had more successful careers and that might be a part of the reason for his bitterness. He never kept up, his humour became very dated and stopped being funny 30 years ago.
You could probably date the beginning of his decline as around the time he moved to America.

Cleese is right in all of his analysis though. He is a hero for calling out the British. A modern day Revere.
Shikata ga nai

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue May 19, 2020 2:06 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:34 am
Did everyone die yet ?
Of boredom, perhaps...
#NotOneRedCent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue May 19, 2020 2:07 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:43 pm
DBTrek wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:40 pm
heydaralon wrote:

You are not being fayour (notice the phoenetic spelling).
The films are definitely the best of the Python's work. A lot of the MPFC early material is a bit hit and miss. You only really remember the better material, a lot of it is not very good but the moments of genius carried the shows.
I challenge you to go back and watch a few shows in their entirety rather than compilations of the best stuff. I think you will agree that a surprising amount of it isn't funny. It was groundbreaking, that was its real contribution. The first time a TV comedy show was done as a series of unrelated sketches rather than having a beginning, middle and end. They had the bright idea to make TV in the style of the university reviews they had worked on at Oxford and Cambridge.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue May 19, 2020 2:13 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 2:03 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:54 pm
DBTrek wrote:

Cleese is right in all of his analysis though. He is a hero for calling out the British. A modern day Revere.
Mere confirmation bias. You agree with him, therefore, you think he is right.
He makes a few good points but a lot of what he says is driven by his bitterness. Most of the rest of the Pythons fell out with him but remained good friends with each other.
He was actually pretty bad-tempered and unpleasant to work with.
His list of failed marriages attests to this.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Tue May 19, 2020 2:17 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:34 am
Did everyone die yet ?
I just found out a former colleague of mine died from COVID-19 after 27 days in ICU. 53yo. Otherwise healthy. Very gifted software engineer. Part time photographer.

Here is his photo blog.
https://youpic.com/photographer/omarpintodiaz/

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck