Coronavirus thread

DBTrek

Re: Coronavirus thread

Post by DBTrek » Tue May 19, 2020 11:39 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:17 am
If you don't like Douglas Adams you've proved my point completely.
If you found the punchline "42" hilarious, you've proved mine.
That's right, kicked you right in the national treasure.
;)
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue May 19, 2020 12:08 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:34 am
Did everyone die yet ?
please don't make jokes about Death. America's most important city, New York, is still having problems. Stand behind the big apple you hillbilly, because it is the only city that matters. What is hard about that to understand? Also, in solidarity with NY, we are running a gun confiscation program. We are asking that within 30 days you give up all your guns and let the gov't tell you what kind of personal safety you are allowed. I know that you didn't major in queer and nonbinary gender studies, so you won't understand these sophisticated arguments, but please try. New York has culture that you and me don't have. We are not capable of understanding their advanced progressive gov't response. Just fully trust the gov't. They have never broken their word in the past.
Shikata ga nai

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue May 19, 2020 12:14 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:39 am
Montegriffo wrote:
;)
To be fair, I do think Adams is a pretty funny guy. I used to read the Hitchhiker's Guide to my Grandfather before he passed away. Also John Cleese is funny as shit. He made Brazil (1985) which is about the expansion of gov't. It is great and a reminder of what Monte would do if in charge. That movie is a favorite among the far right, because it captures the end point and absurdity of the nanny state. Sasha Baren Cohen is a shitlib, but Ali G, Borat, and Bruno are hilarious. The Brits are capable of comedy. After all, their society and gov't are a big joke.

John Oliver sucks though. He is a commie stooge who has never been funny.
Shikata ga nai

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue May 19, 2020 1:07 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:
;)
Yeah, that was pretty funny. All that time spent building the universe's most powerful computer twice to find the meaning of life the universe and everything only to end up with the answer 42.
Nearly as funny as the infinite improbability drive creating a whale whose last thought as he fell to his death was ''not again''.
Obviously, The Hitch Hiker's Guide needed more knob jokes but other than that it was a masterpiece. All 5 books in the increasingly inaccurately named trilogy are worth reading.
Douglas Adams was taken from us at far too young an age.
The Dirk Gently books are pretty good too if you haven't read them yet.
Terry Pratchett is another really witty British writer. Satirical allegory at its best.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Tue May 19, 2020 1:11 pm

Brits certainly think Brit are funny.
But the world loves American humor.
That's why we're the cultural superpower of Earth, and y'all wouldn't even rate a mention except we speak the same language.
;)

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue May 19, 2020 1:14 pm

The brits don't have a wealth of comedic genius, but there are a few shining stars. Their music pretty much rocked the world for decades, too.

Point goes to Monte.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Tue May 19, 2020 1:16 pm

The soyest Euro-American on the boards throws in with the self-congratulatory back patter.
You could hear a pin drop.
The shock.

:lol:

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue May 19, 2020 1:17 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:14 pm
DBTrek wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:
;)
To be fair, I do think Adams is a pretty funny guy. I used to read the Hitchhiker's Guide to my Grandfather before he passed away. Also John Cleese is funny as shit. He made Brazil (1985) which is about the expansion of gov't. It is great and a reminder of what Monte would do if in charge. That movie is a favorite among the far right, because it captures the end point and absurdity of the nanny state. Sasha Baren Cohen is a shitlib, but Ali G, Borat, and Bruno are hilarious. The Brits are capable of comedy. After all, their society and gov't are a big joke.

Brazil was directed and written by Terry Gilliam (the American born Python)
and had nothing to do with John Cleese.
JC did write and star in Fawlty Towers though. One of, if not the, best British sit' com' ever made.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Tue May 19, 2020 1:28 pm

.... and does John Cleese like the British?
Or, as a brilliant comedian, does he recognize what a waste of space they are a far as comedy is concerned?

Cuz I got some great John Cleese articles/videos where he spells out exactly what's up with the Brits.
:twisted:

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue May 19, 2020 1:38 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:17 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:14 pm
DBTrek wrote:

;)

Brazil was directed and written by Terry Gilliam (the American born Python)
and had nothing to do with John Cleese.
JC did write and star in Fawlty Towers though. One of, if not the, best British sit' com' ever made.
you are 100% right. I think Cleese was involved with a bunch of those Monty python movies, which were funny as hell and Staples of my childhood. I like quite a bit of british humour (notice the spelling. I did it four (Notice the spelling) you). I think Snuff Box was really funny tbh. A lot of American standup comics are not good when they wade into the waters of politics. Even Bill Burr falls into this trap.

For what its worth, dude, I also like Al Murray. Ricky Gervais is also extremely talented though I wasn't a fan of The British Office (or the American one. LCD show on both sides of the Atlantic)
Last edited by heydaralon on Tue May 19, 2020 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shikata ga nai