Re: Social Justice Warriors Thread

Post by heydaralon » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:58 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:53 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:48 pm
Martin Hash wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:44 pm
I have hired my "fans" in the past, that's not something I wish to repeat. My rule is that people have to help me out of belief, not benefit. So far, nada, but I'm holding to the rule. Frankly, I don't care if I get famous or not, my life is good; I just wanted to do more, and that's going to take fame. (I learned that in this forum, then I went out and proved it, then I came back here and accepted it.)
I'm not talking about hiring a fan on here, I'm talking about going to a marketing firm or a famous publicist and retaining their services to get you more visibility in the public eye. Have you tried that? Talking to a professional about this? I don't know how any of that works, but you have run for office, attained a wide array of degrees, ran a company, and published a few books. You are a millionaire. If you went and talked to a publicist, they would probably take you on as a client. Maybe they would even have a strategy to increase your podcast views etc. If you went to a publicist office and told them your plan, how do you think that would go down? Would that work?
It's only a "win" in my book if it's organic though I'm certain that MANY famous people did just what you said.

I make goals for myself, something I can work on a little bit at a time. The goals are often artificial: how far can I go on a gallon of gas? How many trolls can I get nipping my heels? Can I write a whole book without every starting a sentence with "but"? My Fame Goal is to get famous. I'm not looking to make money but I am looking not to spend money; it's got to be organic; that's part of the goal.
Well, I don't know if this would be cheating or not, but maybe you should create a reddit thread or something and try to learn about the process of how publicist's generate fame for their clients. Then simply use the knowledge you learned in that thread and apply it to your goal without paying someone to do it. Aside from my professional publicist idea, I still think the youtube channel guest or Joe Rogan guest was my best idea, though an interview on a local WA radio show or a booth on the street aren't bad.
Shikata ga nai

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:58 pm

You could also start a stealth campaign of constructing Confederate statues around the South.

All these little proto-Taliban leftist out there tearing down statuary and strutting around like they’re big change makers ... BOOM! In one week, fifteen Confederate General statues appear in random town squares.
:lol:
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:59 pm

jediuser598 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:55 pm
Martin Hash wrote:
heydaralon wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:48 pm

I'm not talking about hiring a fan on here, I'm talking about going to a marketing firm or a famous publicist and retaining their services to get you more visibility in the public eye. Have you tried that? Talking to a professional about this? I don't know how any of that works, but you have run for office, attained a wide array of degrees, ran a company, and published a few books. You are a millionaire. If you went and talked to a publicist, they would probably take you on as a client. Maybe they would even have a strategy to increase your podcast views etc. If you went to a publicist office and told them your plan, how do you think that would go down? Would that work?
It's only a "win" in my book if it's organic though I'm certain that MANY famous people did just what you said.

I make goals for myself, something I can work on a little bit at a time. The goals are often artificial: how far can I go on a gallon of gas? How many trolls can I get nipping my heels? Can I write a whole book without every starting a sentence with "but"? My Fame goal is to get famous. I'm not looking to make money but I am looking not to spend money; it's got to be organic; that's part of the goal.
Do something people like.

Keep gathering fans by doing that thing they like until you reach famous.
I've mentioned previously that I'm trying to find ways to reach that 1 in a 100. Folks have suggested different ways. I've tried some and considering others.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:00 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:52 pm
I guess what I am trying to say here is this:

Fame in the context of ideas and philosophy is not necessarily a noble goal. Fame necessarily means appealing to the masses which necessitates sacrificing truth and originality for the sake of likes.

In the writing world, Stephen King is a famous writer who is arguably also a massive douchebag. But he is famous for writing to the common denominator. The tragedy here is that this motherfucker could write great works of literature if he wants to, but he doesn't. He chases fame (and money).

So you have to ask yourself a simple question: do you want fame, or do you want to put out original ideas that may or may not be popular (and thus you may or may not become famous)?
Stephen King sucks dude. He doesn't know how to end a book if his life depended on it. Nowadays, he doesn't know how to start or middle one either tbh. I think (SH)IT and the Stand were pretty awful books too. His only good stuff was that collection of short stories called Different Seasons. The best in that one was the story The Body. The movie Stand by Me was based off of it. Shitty movie great story.
Shikata ga nai

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:00 pm

I am just throwing this out there..

Just play off the losing the election thing. Say you want to figure out what Washingtonians really want. Take up city and volunteer jobs all over the district to find out what people are up to, how they live and work, and what their concerns are. Make that into a YouTube channel.

That's what I would do if I didn't hate seeing myself on camera and lost an election. Losing an election has got to be painful, but maybe you can talk about that and make your case to them while at the same time letting them make their case to you,

You could even do temp work for small businesses. Learn what the business owners have to deal with, their problems, etc., as well as their employees. Put that out there on YouTube.

Lay your district bare for all to see. Not propaganda. Not somebody's view on it. Just a journey into that district and peoples' lives, jobs, businesses, etc. Everything from dog catcher to homeless shelter to grocery stores.
Last edited by Speaker to Animals on Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jediuser598

Post by jediuser598 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:01 pm

Honestly I loathe coming here, but it is so easy and convenient and I get to throw down intellectually with someone just for the asking. If it weren't so convenient, I'd be long gone, getting my fix at drunk philosophy in Seattle every other Saturday.

*sigh*

The palatability of this place barely passes the minimum requirements. This place is the ramen noodles of intellectual conversation. I'm not going to die because at least I get something to eat, always feel like shit afterwards though. If you'd just delete me I'd stop being so lazy.
Thy praise or dispraise is to me alike:
One doth not stroke me, nor the other strike.
-Ben Johnson

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:02 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:58 pm
You could also start a stealth campaign of constructing Confederate statues around the South.

All these little proto-Taliban leftist out there tearing down statuary and strutting around like they’re big change makers ... BOOM! In one week, fifteen Confederate General statues appear in random town squares.
Real talk, this would garner some publicity. You would get interviews Martin. Say that its not about slavery, its about history or something. That would get you on the news fast. It would also get you a shitload of death threats from Jedi and his cronies.
Shikata ga nai

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:06 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:00 pm
I am just throwing this out there..

Just play off the losing the election thing. Say you want to figure out what Washingtonians really want. Take up city and volunteer jobs all over the district to find out what people are up to, how they live and work, and what their concerns are. Make that into a YouTube channel.

That's what I would do if I didn't hate seeing myself on camera and lost an election. Losing an election has got to be painful, but maybe you can talk about that and make your case to them while at the same time letting them make their case to you,
I've been volunteering my services for law, medicine, accounting & engineering for over a decade. What I got was dozens of phone calls a day asking for more volunteering. (Now I don't answer my phone.) I wasn't trying to get famous back then but it didn't contribute to any fame, except fame as someone to exploit.

p.s. Losing elections (or losing anything) doesn't affect me. I have failed at more things than anybody I know, have ever met, or ever heard of; I literally try and fail at 100s of things a year. This is a great strength because censor & embarassment is not effective against me. You don't get all my achievements with a thin skin.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

jediuser598

Post by jediuser598 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:07 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:59 pm
jediuser598 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:55 pm
Martin Hash wrote:

I make goals for myself, something I can work on a little bit at a time. The goals are often artificial: how far can I go on a gallon of gas? How many trolls can I get nipping my heels? Can I write a whole book without every starting a sentence with "but"? My Fame goal is to get famous. I'm not looking to make money but I am looking not to spend money; it's got to be organic; that's part of the goal.
Do something people like.

Keep gathering fans by doing that thing they like until you reach famous.
I've mentioned previously that I'm trying to find ways to reach that 1 in a 100. Folks have suggested different ways. I've tried some and considering others.
Make people's lives easier and they'll like you. If you stop making their lives easier, they stop liking you.

If I kick ass at work and the next guy that comes in and has an easy day because of it, he likes me. If my boss gets good numbers on his audit, and he meets projection, he's happy. Want an organic like? Go feed someone that's homeless. It's not complicated. It's practical. He was hungry, now he's not. Doesn't get more organic than that.
-Ben Johnson

jediuser598

Post by jediuser598 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:09 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:02 pm
DBTrek wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:58 pm

Real talk, this would garner some publicity. You would get interviews Martin. Say that its not about slavery, its about history or something. That would get you on the news fast. It would also get you a shitload of death threats from Jedi and his cronies.
How much you make a year?
-Ben Johnson