Social Justice Warriors Thread

heydaralon

Re: Social Justice Warriors Thread

Post by heydaralon » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:32 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:17 pm
Dude, the 1:100 number is just a fame-worthiness scale. Hastur and DB think there's a good chance I could be famous if people just learned about me. 99 people don't.

p.s. Fame for what I've already done, not some speculation of things I could do.
Okay. I was not trying to insult you, I was just evaluating your claim that only 1:100 people agree with you. I suppose there are many ways to get famous or to be worthy of fame. I was brainstorming on that. I have no idea if any of these thoughts I have put out are worthwhile or what.
Shikata ga nai

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:36 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:32 pm
Martin Hash wrote:
Dude, the 1:100 number is just a fame-worthiness scale. Hastur and DB think there's a good chance I could be famous if people just learned about me. 99 people don't.

p.s. Fame for what I've already done, not some speculation of things I could do.
Okay. I was not trying to insult you, I was just evaluating your claim that only 1:100 people agree with you. I suppose there are many ways to get famous or to be worthy of fame. I was brainstorming on that. I have no idea if any of these thoughts I have put out are worthwhile or what.
I took me a bit to decide if you were sincere, but I finally did, so whatever you say, no hard feelings.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:36 pm

The problem with fame is that it has more to do with everybody else than it has to do with the person who covets fame. A man might think he deserves to be famous, but if most people don't find something they can admire or be interested in, then he won't be famous. Also, there exists nothing special about fame itself. Miley Cyrus became famous for becoming a whore. Erik Satie died a pauper.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:41 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:36 pm
The problem with fame is that it has more to do with everybody else than it has to do with the person who covets fame. A man might think he deserves to be famous, but if most people don't find something they can admire or be interested in, then he won't be famous. Also, there exists nothing special about fame itself. Miley Cyrus became famous for becoming a whore. Erik Satie died a pauper.
I'm adding a whole "Fame" chapter to my "Philosophy of an Old-Cyber Cowboy" book, and I don't disagree with anything you said, but I'll repeat that the Unibomber's impressive work was an unknown until he became famous & any famous athelete's political opinion carries more weight than mine.

"People are admired for wealth, and credible from fame." - me

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:42 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
heydaralon wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:32 pm
Martin Hash wrote:

I took me a bit to decide if you were sincere, but I finally did, so whatever you say, no hard feelings.
I joke around a lot on here, but I have not been screwing with you when I have discussed your attempt to get fame. The posts I have made about that are not meant to be taken ironically. This is another idea that has not been thrown out as far as I can tell. Have you considered just straight up hiring a publicist? You wrote a book. Pay a professional agency to market it. Pay some 22 year old kid in your area to manage your social media. If this is a serious goal, you could run it the same way you would a campaign. Don't most authors have publicists? I don't think money is an issue in your case, and I have to believe that you have some connections with driven folks in your social and professional life. See if your publicist can get you an interview on some local radio talk show. Weigh in on the Amazon vs. Homeless thing or whatever. Start there.
Shikata ga nai

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:44 pm

I have hired my "fans" in the past, that's not something I wish to repeat. My rule is that people have to help me out of belief, not benefit. So far, nada, but I'm holding to the rule. Frankly, I don't care if I get famous or not, my life is good; I just wanted to do more, and that's going to take fame. (I learned that in this forum, then I went out and proved it, then I came back here and accepted it.)

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:45 pm

pineapplemike wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:28 pm
deleting posts will only grow the number of haters you have
Did Suburban Farmer delete his account? I see these posts of his that say <deleted>. Did he delete all of them? What is the WW2 reference I saw about?
Shikata ga nai

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:45 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:41 pm
Speaker to Animals wrote:
I'm adding a whole "Fame" chapter to my "Philosophy of an Old-Cyber Cowboy" book, and I don't disagree with anything you said, but I'll repeat that the Unibomber's impressive work was an unknown until he became famous & any famous athelete's political opinion carries more weight than mine.

"People are admired for wealth, and credible from fame." - me
The Unibomber example makes a solid point, but is that really necessary now? Today he could reach everybody across the Internet. Well, maybe not him specifically because he would hate the Internet, but in general the dynamic that kept his ideas unknown to the world do not today exist.

Now that I think about it, had he *not* done what he did, and he were around to write prolifically about his philosophy, that philosophy would be more widespread today than it is. Right now, it's difficult to get people to read it precisely because it was his idea.
Last edited by Speaker to Animals on Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:46 pm

I have a midterm election prank idea that would make you infamous.
Does that count as fame?
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:46 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:45 pm
pineapplemike wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:28 pm
deleting posts will only grow the number of haters you have
Did Suburban Farmer delete his account? I see these posts of his that say <deleted>. Did he delete all of them? What is the WW2 reference I saw about?
Those are just people posting <deleted> mocking the 1 time I posted <deleted> to let people know I was going to delete posts.