Leftist Greed

Smitty-48

Re: Leftist Greed

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:37 am

there is a militant enviromentalist cohort here mind you

this town is not Liberal, nor Conservative, this is a Green Party stronghold

the leader of the provincial Green Party is based here

he's actually an American, from Kansas

fucking Jayhawker, Yankee motherfucker, I regularly get into confrontations with him

Deo Vindice

Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:41 am

DBTrek wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:29 am
Montegriffo wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:27 am
Nope, it's the bell.

Never confuse being ill informed with being lied to. They are two different things.

Indeed.
"Big Ben is probably the world's most famous clock. "
https://www.parliament.uk/bigben/
It's the bell attached to the clock.
Often confused for the clock tower or the clock but it's neither it's the bell.
There are few landmarks more famous and more misidentified than Big Ben.

Despite often being used to describe the tower at the north end of the Houses of Parliament, Big Ben is in fact the nickname for the bell within that which in normal times would sound each hour
https://www.mylondon.news/news/zone-1-n ... n-16784636
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:46 am

it's funny, cause I've turned the Hells Angel's guys against the Green Party Jayhawk carpet bagger

so when he goes door to door, I always come out to confront him

but in the last election the Hell's Angels guys started joining in

I don't think he's coming back to campaign on our street next election

Nec Aspera Terrent

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:54 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:41 am

Despite often being used to describe the tower at the north end of the Houses of Parliament, Big Ben is in fact the nickname for the bell within that which in normal times would sound each hour
The UK Parliament official website states otherwise.
So as I said - how long have they been lying to us?

Oh wait - you were claiming I was just a misinformed foreigner right?
Misinformed by your government.
;)
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:56 am

one big difference living in a comparatively small city like this, is that you can at least get at the government

like I know the mayor personally, and when I see him at the grocery store, I take him to task

not that it changes anything, but that sort of American style "town hall" confrontation is not the norm in Canada
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:00 pm

mind you, much as I am a Scrooge McDuck who loathes to pay more taxes

compared to what my father was paying back in the 1980's, we are not paying high taxes at all

my father made $70,000 a year in the 1980's, and yet he was still cash & house poor

the reality is that the Neoliberals have been cutting taxes for decades and instead funding everything with debt

which is a tax on the children of course, but since we don't have any of those, not our problem
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:04 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:54 am
Montegriffo wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:41 am

The UK Parliament official website states otherwise.
So as I said - how long have they been lying to us?

Oh wait - you were claiming I was just a misinformed foreigner right?
Misinformed by your government.
;)
Nope, I said ill-informed and made no mention of your nationality.
Misinformed implies a deliberate misleading.

Besides, you expect the truth from the government who gave us the lie on the bus?

Big Ben has become the unofficial name for the clock tower and even people who know better now identify it as such but it's still wrong. It's the nickname for the Bell.
Probably named after Sir Benjamin Hall who oversaw the rebuilding of the Houses of Parliament.
Although there is no documentary evidence, the story goes that during a parliamentary debate over what to name the new bell Sir Hall, a large man, got up to give a long speech on the matter. After his various ideas about the bell were fielded another MP shouted out: "Why not call him Big Ben and have done with it?" The House erupted in laughter and the name stuck.

The Times reported at the time: "It is proposed to call our king of bells 'Big Ben', in honour of Sir Benjamin Hall, the president of the Board of Works, during whose tenure of office it was cast."
Last edited by Montegriffo on Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:07 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:04 pm
Big Ben has become the unofficial name for the clock tower and even people who know better now identify it as such but it's still wrong. It's the nickname for the Bell.
Probably named after Sir Benjamin Hall who oversaw the rebuilding of the Houses of Parliament.
Although there is no documentary evidence, the story goes that during a parliamentary debate over what to name the new bell Sir Hall, a large man, got up to give a long speech on the matter. After his various ideas about the bell were fielded another MP shouted out: "Why not call him Big Ben and have done with it?" The House erupted in laughter and the name stuck.

The Times reported at the time: "It is proposed to call our king of bells 'Big Ben', in honour of Sir Benjamin Hall, the president of the Board of Works, during whose tenure of office it was cast."
So ... name the bell after the guy who built the clock tower, but not the guy who made the bell. :think:

This rabbit hole just gets twistier the further down you travel.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:07 pm

case in point, Canada 1981

not only was the top tax rate 70%

inflation was 13%

mortgage rates were 21%

the reality for my wife & I is not that the government screwed us

we've lived through the greatest free money party in history

the Millennnials are screwed, perhaps

but they are literally the worst generation in history who deserves everything coming to them

so it all worked out in the end

let's jig, ya'll

Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:11 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:07 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:04 pm

So ... name the bell after the guy who built the clock tower, but not the guy who made the bell. :think:

This rabbit hole just gets twistier the further down you travel.
The foundry which made the bell still exists after 450 years and still makes and repairs large bells.