Smitty-48 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:48 am
StCapps wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:44 am
Smitty-48 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:37 am
Like I think they could be desperate to end the lock down and then they will

I think the bug then gets a vote tho

This bug is spooky enough to force them into lock downs they are desperate to end, and not let them off the mat
I think the most effective lockdowns work best in and around the peak, but off peak they need to ease up to some degree, so when another peak is coming less economic damage has been done in the meantime and the next lockdown is less painful. Locking down and never easing up for a year or more is not realistic, if they do that, this will be worse than The Great Depression
The pattern of pandemics in the past is that they stage down in waves

They lift restrictions, the death rate spikes, they go back to sheltering

It stages down like that, each wave getting smaller as they go
That's the way to go, because the economic damage of continuing to remain locked down when the hospitalization rate is low enough to not overwhelm medical capacity makes maintaining the lockdowns impossible in the long run

They are not a long term solution, they are best used a short term solution
Last edited by StCapps on Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Re: SARS Pt. 2 - Wuhan Boogaloo

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:51 am

Bottom line the bug is not going away without a vaccine

While the bug is in play, the economy will be in shambles where the bug effects it

Information workers in isolation online will boom, but that won't generate enough to get it out of the ditch
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:52 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:51 am

While the bug is in play, the economy will be shambles where the bug effects it

Information workers in isolation online will boom, but that won't generate enough to get it out of the ditch
Getting out the economic ditch isn't the priority, economic damage control is, piling on an already depressed economy even after the peak has long since passed and the next peak won't happen for a while is not wise

Staying in lockdown with no easing of restriction until a vaccine is developed makes the situation worse than periodically easing up on the restrictions, and clamping down only when absolutely necessary
Last edited by StCapps on Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:54 am

StCapps wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:50 am

Other than it burning itself out over time, or a vaccine, I don't see a solution

Lock down or not lock down is evading the point actually, neither is a solution to my definition of solution
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:56 am

StCapps wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:52 am
Smitty-48 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:51 am

While the bug is in play, the economy will be shambles where the bug effects it

Getting out the economic ditch isn't the priority, economic damage control is, piling on an already depressed economy even after the peak has long since passed and the next peak is won't happen for a while is not wise

That makes the situation worse than periodically easing up on the restrictions, and clamping down only when absolutely necessary
I don't even know what they should do, but I would throw way more money at it, Spartan UBI

But Canada is too cheap, so I expect it to be a long slog for the brick & mortar economy
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:57 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:54 am
StCapps wrote:

Other than it burning itself out over time, or a vaccine, I don't see a solution

Lock down or not lock down is evading the point actually, neither is a solution to my definition of solution
Indeed, not a solution at all, simply mitigating damage to the limited extent it is possible

This will likely save more lives in the long run, because no economic damage mitigation and limited health benefits is the worst of both worlds
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:58 am

The bug is inherently disruptive at the strategic level

There is no steady state, there is no quick fix, there is no comfort zone, the bug will run amok
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:00 am

StCapps wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:57 am
Smitty-48 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:54 am
StCapps wrote:

Indeed, not a solution at all, simply mitigating damage to the limited extent it is possible

This will likely save more lives in the long run, because no economic damage mitigation and limited health benefits is the worst of both worlds
I'm just braced and paced for it to be much more complex and persistent than anybody is thinking right now

The war will go one for much longer than they think and not be solved by anything short of a vaccine
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:00 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:56 am
I don't even know what they should do, but I would throw way more money at it, Spartan UBI

But Canada is too cheap, so I expect it to be a long slog for the brick & mortar economy
I don't know what they should do either, knowing what they shouldn't do is much easier, especially with the fog of war being this thick

I know destroying the economy for limited health benefits, if any, is clearly a bad idea, but that is Captain Obvious shit

Without more information, making many mistakes is inevitable, no matter how knowledgeable you are, they key is to hopefully make the fewest mistakes possible or as close as you can realistically get to that goal
*yip*

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:01 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:58 am
The bug is inherently disruptive at the strategic level

There is no steady state, there is no quick fix, there is no comfort zone, the bug will run amok

I'm just braced and paced for it to be much more complex and persistent than anybody is thinking right now

The war will go one for much longer than they think and not be solved by anything short of a vaccine
Totally agree

Hopefully we are wrong, which is a possibility, but the fog of war on this makes it hard to see more than a few feet in front you, even to those with the best vision
Last edited by StCapps on Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
*yip*