Game of Thrones - mostly

pineapplemike

Re: Game of Thrones - mostly

Post by pineapplemike » Mon May 06, 2019 6:33 pm

Kath wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 6:12 pm
pineapplemike wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 5:36 pm
arya is cool, i don't hate so much that she got the kill against the night king, it was merely the method that rolled my eyes
It's like many things in GOT. That was a move she did when sparring with Brienne at Winterfell.
no i mean jumping 20ft past the white walkers, the stabby stab was cool

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon May 06, 2019 6:43 pm

Kath wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 4:17 pm
StCapps wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 3:59 pm
Churchill is a cuck, and a warmongering asshole, and if he was still alive I would say it to his face, given a decent opportunity. Easily the most overrated leader in the 20th Century.
So every man in the history of the world who has bowed to a Queen is a cuck? Only the cuckiest of the cucky males would say such nonsense. Smitty would bow to QEII. Have you informed Smitty that he's a cuck? I dare ya.
Not why Churchill is a cuck.
*yip*

Kath

Post by Kath » Mon May 06, 2019 6:44 pm

pineapplemike wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 6:33 pm

no i mean jumping 20ft past the white walkers, the stabby stab was cool
Ah .. yeah - I need to rewatch that a few times. There must have been some sort of tell; she knew a boatload about gymnastics, and she left the scene pretty early to head out there, so the time was available.

Just doing the re-watch. Dany says to Varys (translated by me,) I will do the worst thing possible if that is what it takes to prevent the worst thing possible from happening.

Yeah, but she may be, could be, prolly not but possibly, perhaps a total loon, according to some. If someone isn't convinced she's in full loony territory, they are just watching for reasons to criticize, instead of caring about the actuality of what's being conveyed.
Why are all the Gods such vicious cunts? Where's the God of tits and wine?

brewster

Post by brewster » Mon May 06, 2019 9:06 pm

Just watched it with the daughter.

The whole sea battle simply sucked. There were like 8 Iron Island ships with a single scorpion each raining withering fire on a whole fucking fleet. WTF???? As anyone who has read Age of Sail books knows, it takes a fucking ton of cannon balls to get lucky enough to bring down a mast. These are not automatic fucking weapons! They take time to reload. As does Bronn's crossbow. A soldier of Jaime's experience would leap across the table as soon as Bronn wasted his shot, except that Bronn would never have done it. Shitty writing all around And as was stated, you should not be able to surprise your air cover on a clear day. Why have them up if they're not scouting for the enemy??? More shitty writing.

I called it too early on Missende, I said previously she should have died in the crypt. She had no more purpose, whatever plot armor she ever had was gone. She drives the story more dead.

At this point I'm thinking Sansa better look over her shoulder, bad faith often brings karma in Westeros. My daughter says no, she's too much a fan favorite.

Back to the scorpions. How do you suppose they sighted in so accurately shooting up at a target when they could never have practiced to get the range, they have no aircraft, not even balloons. No matter how strong, any projectile has a ballistic trajectory, and there's no way they just calculate it, any more than even an experienced artilleryman can drop one right on target 1st shot.

Has Winterfell gotten closer to Kings Landing? Remember how it took Robert a month to get there in S01E01? Now people seem to pop up for lunch. The only way to really cut distances like that is having stages with fresh horses, but you can't do that with armies. While I'm on a logistics rant, did Danaerys come to Westeros with commissary ships? Who's been feeding her tens of thousands, and who's feeding them now? They discussed a siege, but sieges take resources. Like that forest of trees they felled to burn their frozen dead. I was thinking that torching all that frozen meat might be regretted before the winter is over.

Episode basically sucked after the great hall party.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Kath

Post by Kath » Tue May 07, 2019 5:21 am

brewster wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 9:06 pm

Episode basically sucked after the great hall party.
I agree with your assessment of the water battle, but I loved the episode anyway. They gave up episode quantity, for whatever reason (certainly not mandated by HBO,) so they needed an alternate story telling method to get everything done in that small time frame. It was an efficient way to down a dragon. One more to go.

As to Missende, she had a purpose; she kept Grey Worm focused. Now his judgment is clouded and he won't be able to support Dany the way he has been. It's the beginning of the end for Dany.

Kath

Post by Kath » Tue May 07, 2019 5:57 am

While wandering around the internet, I learned that there is a whole group of angry women bitching on the show for becoming too misogynist.

I say we stop worrying about the political agenda it's not trying to convey, and just enjoy it as a story.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Tue May 07, 2019 6:44 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:03 pm
The only way a grown man will find this worth his time is if he is weak and never achieved anything physically demanding in his life.

I happen to think women are capable of quite a lot of feats, but they won't look like these actresses. The only way this shit can make sense to a grown man is if he is as weak as these actresses.
I'm much more attracted to women like Joanna Jędrzejczyk and Tatiana Weston-Webb at this point because they can do feats of strength
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Tue May 07, 2019 6:45 am

Kath wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 5:57 am
While wandering around the internet, I learned that there is a whole group of angry women bitching on the show for becoming too misogynist.

I say we stop worrying about the political agenda it's not trying to convey, and just enjoy it as a story.
"Becoming?"

This was years ago and I feel like they wrote in all the strong women characters post-book story to counter this
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Kath

Post by Kath » Tue May 07, 2019 6:58 am

California wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:45 am

"Becoming?"

This was years ago and I feel like they wrote in all the strong women characters post-book story to counter this
Well, I didn't say I agreed. Some are pissed that they made a former slave die in chains. I'm like, "Dude, WTF? This is Game of Thrones."

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Tue May 07, 2019 7:15 am

People really are stupid.