Social Justice Warriors Thread

Haumana

Re: Social Justice Warriors Thread

Post by Haumana » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:07 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:59 pm
When my Da was dying, he said "I just want one more summer".
Brutal. Mine wanted to make it to his 50th wedding anniversary. This was in early November, anniversary was not till April. (Next week, I think) I was like "Umm, can we set a milestone just a tad earlier? How about Christmas?"

Your mention of Antipasto had me in the kitchen to cutoff some Molinari Salame. I brought home two 3 pound sticks for the wife from my last trip over to mainland. Salame, Sourdough and Dungeness Crabs are what we miss most from the Bay Area. Besides our favorite pizza spots.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:10 pm

My Da got his last summer, my Da died right in the middle of the 2008 market crash.

And that actually made me a lot of money.

I didn't have time to panic about the markets, my Da was dying, I could see it was crashing, but I didn't care.

But then I didn't panic sell.

Instead, it hit rock bottom, so I said I'm fucked anyways, might as well buy when there's blood in the streets.

And then it shot back up on the other side and I made a mint.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:21 pm

Haumana wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:07 pm
Your mention of Antipasto had me in the kitchen to cutoff some Molinari Salame. I brought home two 3 pound sticks for the wife from my last trip over to mainland. Salame, Sourdough and Dungeness Crabs are what we miss most from the Bay Area. Besides our favorite pizza spots.
Yeah, we go for the artisan salami of one kind or another, the peppers, mushrooms, garlic, stuffed grape leaves, etc, and I get the fruits de mer seafood salad for me, my wife wont eat fish, so I get it all to myself.

Baguette, crackers, or both, and lots of cheese.

And the vino. Bottles of vino, bring them on, keep them coming,
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:30 pm

With the antipasto, I bring out the expensive wine, 2008 market crash bounce wine, cha-ching.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:32 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:21 pm
Haumana wrote:
Yeah, we go for the artisan salami of one kind or another, the peppers, mushrooms, garlic, stuffed grape leaves, etc, and I get the fruits de mer seafood salad for me, my wife wont eat fish, so I get it all to myself.

Baguette and good cheese..... Perks of civilization.

Here is one of those simple recipes.

Sliced baguette, slice of salami, sprinkle of bleu cheese, Toss it in the oven to bake for a bit. Heavenly whores d' vorous. Nom Nom. Bottle of vino is the cherry on top of that cake.

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:34 pm

Haumana wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:32 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:21 pm
Haumana wrote:

Baguette and good cheese..... Perks of civilization.

Here is one of those simple recipes.

Sliced baguette, slice of salami, sprinkle of bleu cheese, Toss it in the oven to bake for a bit. Heavenly whores d' vorous. Nom Nom. Bottle of vino is the cherry on top of that cake.
Shit, I forgot the tomato in between the salami and bleu cheese. Don't make the same mistake because it makes all the world's of difference. Ripe tomato. don't go for that cheap tomato. Spring for the taste.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:37 pm

Where I am at, it's like a grocery superpower, I got options, high quality, and lots of competition, Upper Canada is actually a grocery paradise, I want for nothing quality food wise.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:44 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:37 pm
Where I am at, it's like a grocery superpower, I got options, high quality, and lots of competition, Upper Canada is actually a grocery paradise, I want for nothing quality food wise.
Not me. Local Safeway had exactly ONE stick of real salame with the white coating, someone stole it out of our cart. Wife was ready to go on a beat down. We checked every persons cart in the store and covered as much of the parking lot as two people could. She was ready to see blood. We are an hour, round trip, from a Safeway. 3 hours from a Costco. Country is where I reside.

Keep country Country!

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:51 pm

Haumana wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:44 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:37 pm
Not me. Local Safeway had exactly ONE stick of real salame with the white coating, someone stole it out of our cart. Wife was ready to go on a beat down. We checked every persons cart in the store and covered as much of the parking lot as two people could. She was ready to see blood. We are an hour, round trip, from a Safeway. 3 hours from a Costco. Country is where I reside.

Keep country Country!
We got the big Costco here, with the gas station, the we got two giant Walmarts.

Now, the Americans, which is you, y'all force the Canadian grocery stores to compete.

Which is Zehrs, Metro, Longos, Sobeys, Freshco, Market Fresh, Farm Boy, No Frills, Food Basics, Rowe Farms, the list goes on and on, plus we got the Mennonites too.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:01 pm

Costco and Walmart are like the price sheriffs.

I'll walk into other stores and see the effects.

I can tell, this discount is trying to match Costco, Walmart has forced them to match that price, etc.

When the Costco gas station closes at night, the gas prices go up all over town.
Nec Aspera Terrent