Re: Plutarch on animal ethics

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:38 am

JohnDonne wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:00 pm
Kath wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:53 pm
JohnDonne wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:42 pm

I said having pets is a bad idea, and being a responsible pet owner means invasive surgery. My recommendation? Don’t support animal breeders of any kind because they’re evil, and if you adopt a shelter animal, feed them vegan.

Collectively scale down animal domestication until there are just wild and free animals.
I've adopted 10-12 cats in my life. Every one of them from a shelter or found on the streets.

Your wish that we stop adopting them and fixing them only means one thing. More cats and dogs that nobody can care for. That means MORE suffering. You truly are short-sighted.

Also, no way to kill a carnivore quicker than starving it to death by refusing to feed it the nutrition it needs to survive.

You truly are advancing the notion that cats & dogs should suffer more. Very odd.

Or troll. I'm going with troll.
Vegan cat foods are a thing, yes.

You seem concerned about animals living free, what about the animals in cages feeding you and your cats? Do they matter?
Vegan cat foods?
I guess it must be possible to replicate the nutrition cats get from meat but pretty pointless considering their hunting abilities. Also seems a little cruel to deprive a carnivore of meat.
Dogs on the other hand can live well on a veggie diet. But how happy it would make them is another matter.
I get the point you are making about captive breeding one animal to feed to another and I agree that pets have a negative environmental impact but they really can make the lives of their owners better.

I've not had a cat since my last one, Boudica, was killed by a car about nine years ago. Part of the reason for not getting another one was the wildlife carnage they create. I was recently encouraged though by a scientific report claiming that the effect of cats on declining bird populations is negligible.
I would say that if you are a vegan don't get a meat eating pet.
Probably don't get a pet at all.
However, for some people, pets are more than a luxury, they are a necessity.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Kath

Post by Kath » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:06 am

JohnDonne wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:28 pm

So we agree cat and dog breeders are bad.

Let's go one more step and oppose pig, chicken and cow breeders too, because they're even worse.

And it's not extremism to oppose an already radical status quo.
Do I wish we'd treat our food better? Yes. Am I going to stop eating food, though? Nope.
Why are all the Gods such vicious cunts? Where's the God of tits and wine?

JohnDonne

Post by JohnDonne » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:05 pm

I don’t want you to stop eating food kath. There’s a million delicious plants, grains, fruits, vegetables, nuts, beans, spices, oils, tofu, seitan, tempeh..

If you don’t think plants can replace meat in taste and texture, try the beyond burger at select carl’s Jrs.

Try the vegan challenge, go vegan for 22 days, see if you like it. There are guides online that can assist and answer any questions.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:07 pm

To be honest, those factory farms aren't that bad. At least the animals get to be surrounded by their loved ones and friends in those modest sized pens and cages.
Shikata ga nai

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:40 am

It is unethical to let your dog practice baseball with you and the kids

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:57 am

California wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:40 am

Is that your dog?
Shikata ga nai

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:47 pm

Ouch.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:52 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:57 am
California wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:40 am

Is that your dog?
Yeah. He got three staples in his eyebrow

Must have a hard head though. That was a backswing of a bat to the face and he didn’t even get stunned
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:05 pm

Look at that face, though. He's like I still love you, man. Even though you hit me in the head with a baseball bat and you didn't feed my the leftover ground beef last night.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:50 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:05 pm
Look at that face, though. He's like I still love you, man. Even though you hit me in the head with a baseball bat and you didn't feed my the leftover ground beef last night.
Well, it was my son :lol: He was emotionally wrecked for the rest of the day

But yeah, we don't deserve dogs.