Fake News

DBTrek

Re: Fake News

Post by DBTrek » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:43 pm

jediuser598 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:15 pm

Where were you and DSL having the conversation about price gouging? Trying to find the thread.
https://martinhash.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=3301
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:48 pm

clubgop wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:32 pm

They always were that way the difference is the geographic location. When advertising and media was based in Madison Avenue, yeah it was liberal, they weren't evangelist SJWs they wanted to move product, now that is all focused on silicon valley it's totally out of step with most of the country, and most of the companies dont sell a product anymore, you are the product, your information, your eyeballs, your attention.
+1
Shikata ga nai

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:44 pm

jediuser598 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:24 pm
GloryofGreece wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:47 am
Journalism has been problematic in this country for over a hundred years, hell possible from its inception really. Sure there were varying degrees of transgressions and purposeful misrepresentation of the content etc. but now it certainly appears like its worse than ever before. Yellow Journalism anyone? Bias...well that's always existed. Misinformation is going to happen, but disinformation well one could argue that is a special form of subversion that borders on treasonous.

It may only be the business element of the breaking of journalism, but when in the very early 1900s advertisement starting becoming a significant part of the newspapers actual pages and a large portion of their revenue then is created another subversion to the authenticity of the writers reporting (obviously). You can trace the above historically and systematically. It wasn't always permeated by big advertising firms. This is propaganda 101. The problem is like with any institution or organization etc. it takes a long time to build up a reputation but hardly no time to lose it. This is just how human beings think and behave. Justly or unjustly.
Good journalism is hard and costs a lot of money.

Now everyone wants all the stories for free.

Most journalists are very aware of exactly what you're saying, I've talked to them.

Try this, try it for two days. Only say what you know to be 100% true. 100%. No exceptions. Tell me when you start and if you post anything here we'll test whether or not you pass or fail and when you do this and when that is the standard, then you'll know how fucking hard being a journalist is.

Journalism is the fourth estate and it is essential for the health of our Republic, but it is not easy.
No.

Journalism is propaganda.

Good reporting is cheap and you can get it for free on YouTube, and is being done better than any journalist by kids in their fucking PJs.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:49 pm

In the early days of the Republic, journalists didn't even make any bones about who their masters were. They were working for the political parties directly, and would make smear pieces and blatant hack jobs without any evidence. Jefferson loathed them. Journalism during the Gilded age was another joke. The Philedelphia Inquirer figured out there was a widespread congressional bribery scandal going on. Instead of reporting on it, the journalists there got the congressmen to pay them off. There have always been good and bad journalists, just like today, but this Dan Carlin style myth that the press used to be this uncorrupted pristine entity above the passions and biases of the day is nonsense. Many journalists are also homosexuals.
Shikata ga nai

jediuser598

Post by jediuser598 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:53 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:44 pm
jediuser598 wrote:
GloryofGreece wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:47 am
Journalism has been problematic in this country for over a hundred years, hell possible from its inception really. Sure there were varying degrees of transgressions and purposeful misrepresentation of the content etc. but now it certainly appears like its worse than ever before. Yellow Journalism anyone? Bias...well that's always existed. Misinformation is going to happen, but disinformation well one could argue that is a special form of subversion that borders on treasonous.

It may only be the business element of the breaking of journalism, but when in the very early 1900s advertisement starting becoming a significant part of the newspapers actual pages and a large portion of their revenue then is created another subversion to the authenticity of the writers reporting (obviously). You can trace the above historically and systematically. It wasn't always permeated by big advertising firms. This is propaganda 101. The problem is like with any institution or organization etc. it takes a long time to build up a reputation but hardly no time to lose it. This is just how human beings think and behave. Justly or unjustly.

Most journalists are very aware of exactly what you're saying, I've talked to them.

Try this, try it for two days. Only say what you know to be 100% true. 100%. No exceptions. Tell me when you start and if you post anything here we'll test whether or not you pass or fail and when you do this and when that is the standard, then you'll know how fucking hard being a journalist is.

Journalism is the fourth estate and it is essential for the health of our Republic, but it is not easy.
No.

Good reporting is cheap and you can get it for free on YouTube, and is being done better than any journalist by kids in their fucking PJs.
Have you ever tried it?
Thy praise or dispraise is to me alike:
One doth not stroke me, nor the other strike.
-Ben Johnson

jediuser598

Post by jediuser598 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:54 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:43 pm
jediuser598 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:15 pm

Where were you and DSL having the conversation about price gouging? Trying to find the thread.
https://martinhash.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=3301
Thank you.
-Ben Johnson

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:54 pm

jediuser598 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:53 pm
Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:44 pm
jediuser598 wrote:

No.

Have you ever tried it?
You really have to be a liberal to think that is an enlightening question to ask somebody.

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:01 pm

but most of the youtube news kids rely on mainstream journalism for their content, how effective would the citizen journalists be without mainstream journalists?

jediuser598

Post by jediuser598 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:07 pm

Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:54 pm
You really have to be a liberal to think that is an enlightening question to ask somebody.
Experiential data, man.

I'm not saying it is true about everything, but what you're saying, it really jumps out at me (stole this from Earl Sweatshirt) that you have never tried to do the work. I could be wrong, I don't think I am though.

Try to be 100% accurate in everything you say or write for two days, just two days.

Then realize that for journalists, they have to do that constantly for work and also tell the story. It isn't easy.
Last edited by jediuser598 on Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Ben Johnson

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:08 pm

pineapplemike wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:01 pm
but most of the youtube news kids rely on mainstream journalism for their content, how effective would the citizen journalists be without mainstream journalists?
That's not really true.

They report on MSM, but only to dissect it and expose it for the fraud that journalism really is (and always was).

Most of their reporting is done by themselves, digging through sources or actually going out and recording events.