Fake News

pineapplemike

Re: Fake News

Post by pineapplemike » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:18 am

what's wrong with this story? the shut down is trump's fault, no? he even said last week he would take the blame

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:23 am

pineapplemike wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:18 am
what's wrong with this story? the shut down is trump's fault, no? he even said last week he would take the blame

The issue is the lying polls by reuters. Are we going to pretend they weren't lying to people all throughout 2016? Get real, man.

The vast majority of Americans want illegal immigration stamped out. I think they realize the democrats are in the fucking wrong here. Trump might be "responsible" for refusing to sign their budget bill, but all they have to do is allocate funds to what most Americans want fucking done already.

Then the way the story is framed is total propaganda. That's not news.

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:41 am

i can't vouch for the accuracy of the polls but it would be retarded for americans to place the blame on anyone but trump, i think the way he and republicans are conflating 'the wall' with 'americans opposing illegal immigration' is the fake news here

besides
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·
Dec 20
With so much talk about the Wall, people are losing sight of the great job being done on our Southern Border by Border Patrol, ICE and our great Military. Remember the Caravans? Well, they didn’t get through and none are forming or on their way. Border is tight. Fake News silent!
sounds like the border is tight?

the real news angle is to hold trump accountable for his campaign promise to have mexico pay for the wall, the fact that there's even a debate about who's paying for it should be a mark against him

you know me and you know that fake news is one of my biggest gripes, but the story you posted largely checks out

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:45 am

Most Americans want the fucking wall, genius.

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:54 am

polls ive seen skew both ways (go figure), but even if i give you that stat, the fake news story still checks out

PartyOf5

Post by PartyOf5 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:01 am

pineapplemike wrote:
It shouldn't be he's taking the blame, it should be taking the credit :)

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:04 am

lol, fair point

PartyOf5

Post by PartyOf5 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:10 am

Mike, he may say the border is tight, but that doesn't mean we don't need a wall. We've sent a ton of resources to the areas where the caravans are, but we can't keep all of those resources there forever. The media takes his statement that we've kept the caravan out and equates that with "see, we don't need a wall". It's misleading, but they don't care.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:16 am

pineapplemike wrote:
I don't have a problem with Trump taking the blame, but I like facts. This can't be Trump's fault right now because the simple fact is Congress has given him nothing to sign.

Further, Congress has not done a budget in 10 years. It's not like this deadline was a surprise. As I recall, Trump was promised by Congress last year that if he signed the shutdown continuing resolution Congress would give him border wall money next time (which is this time).
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:24 am

C-Mag wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:16 am
I don't have a problem with Trump taking the blame, but I like facts. This can't be Trump's fault right now because the simple fact is Congress has given him nothing to sign.

Further, Congress has not done a budget in 10 years. It's not like this deadline was a surprise. As I recall, Trump was promised by Congress last year that if he signed the shutdown continuing resolution Congress would give him border wall money next time (which is this time).
fair enough, you're right it's more a failure of the 2-year republican-majority congress, but the general conflict behind the shutdown and the implied cause is the disagreement over the wall. the veto he'll offer when the democrats soon take control and try to re-open the government without wall funding is also relevant probably
PartyOf5 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:10 am
Mike, he may say the border is tight, but that doesn't mean we don't need a wall. We've sent a ton of resources to the areas where the caravans are, but we can't keep all of those resources there forever. The media takes his statement that we've kept the caravan out and equates that with "see, we don't need a wall". It's misleading, but they don't care.
it's unfortunate that the president isn't more precise in his language as to not send mixed messages which allow the fake news media to correctly highlight his mixed messages. i didn't see the fake news response to his tweet at all, all i saw was his tweet