Re: Europe, Boring Until it's Not

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:03 am

C-Mag wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:21 am
Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:53 am
C-Mag wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:49 am

How many centuries was it between the Italian Mercenary Era until when Italy was reunified after Napolean ?
Lots of Swiss mercenaries got contracted to fill out Napoleon's ranks. Good old, reliable mercenaries keeping Rome a continuous power, and putting Italy on the map for millinnea.
The Italians who turned their Army over to Mercs were destroyed. They didn't see a unified nation for several hundred years again.
The "Italians" didn't exist as a people, but the very different groups working to control various parts of the peninsula were prosperous traders and merchants using mercs for a LONG ass time.

I know the folks around here are always vigilantly hunting for one thing or another that is supposed to be a sign of civilizations collapse, so ya'll get a lot of false positives.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:21 am

Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:03 am
C-Mag wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:21 am

Lots of Swiss mercenaries got contracted to fill out Napoleon's ranks. Good old, reliable mercenaries keeping Rome a continuous power, and putting Italy on the map for millinnea.
The Italians who turned their Army over to Mercs were destroyed. They didn't see a unified nation for several hundred years again.
The "Italians" didn't exist as a people, but the very different groups working to control various parts of the peninsula were prosperous traders and merchants using mercs for a LONG ass time.

I know the folks around here are always vigilantly hunting for one thing or another that is supposed to be a sign of civilizations collapse, so ya'll get a lot of false positives.
Healthy nations have no trouble finding youth willing to stand in their armies.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:05 am

C-Mag wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:26 am
Montegriffo wrote:

This is to open up service to soldiers from the Commonwealth. Australians, Canadians and New Zealanders mostly.

I guess you never served with Ghurkas? They have been paid mercenaries in the British army for generations. Fine soldiers and the cream of their country.
You've always had Common Wealth Soldiers and the Ghurkas are Auxillaries, but what I read is that you can be a foreign national if you've lived in the UK for 5 years.
Previously guys from the commonwealth had to live here for 5 years before they could sign up. Now they don't have to. That is all that has changed as far as I know.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Otern

Post by Otern » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:56 am

Woke up today, to one less frigate in the Norwegian navy. Oh well, it lasted 9 years at least. And we didn't have the new helicopters on it, that were supposed to be delivered back then, which we haven't got yet. So at least we didn't lose them.

Greek tanker: 1
Norwegian navy: 0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:30 am

At least it was just a frigate. We put females in charge of destroyers and lost those.

You cannot even make this shit up.
Last edited by Speaker to Animals on Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Otern

Post by Otern » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:57 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:30 am
At least it was just a frigate. We put females in charge of destroyers and lost those.

You cannot even male this shit up.
It's also the single most expensive equipment Norway has. Just the ship, without any weapon systems or helicopters is about $500 000 000.

And so far, I'd guess it's not the fault of the tanker. Looks like incompetence on part of the frigate crew here.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:30 am

Putting an entire oil terminal out of action as well. You should stick to cod fishing.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:38 am

Otern wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:57 am

And so far, I'd guess it's not the fault of the tanker. Looks like incompetence on part of the frigate crew here.
Why do you say that? From what I've read the frigate was docked and the tanker ran into it.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Otern

Post by Otern » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:44 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:38 am
Otern wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:57 am

Why do you say that? From what I've read the frigate was docked and the tanker ran into it.
The tanker came from the right. Which gives the tanker the right of way according to sea navigation laws.
The frigate had turned off its transponder, so the tanker couldn't see it, even if it wanted to. Not a smart thing to do in an area with heavy civilian traffic.
The tanker is way larger than the frigate, which gives it the right of way.

The frigate was not docked. It was out in open water. It's not sure if it was moving or not yet though.

So far, there's absolutely no indication of the tanker doing something wrong, but every indication of the frigate crew and command being fucking incompetent.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:00 am

I wonder if they will blame the feminist that did this.