Other Podcasts

pineapplemike

Re: Other Podcasts

Post by pineapplemike » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:04 pm

Props to whoever suggested the Fifth Column podcast, very enjoyable to listen to. I was sort of familiar with Moynihan and Welch; I generally agree with them more or less, but mostly I like the repertoire that the hosts all have with each other. It's become a staple of my podcast rotation, thanks
GloryofGreece wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:26 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISlBeD6BJWw

John Anderson: Featuring Jonathan Haidt
(Former Australian Politician) (Psychologist) ...learned a lot. Haidt is undervalued.
Downloading this one right now, also grabbed a few of his older episodes with Peterson and Ferguson. Good stuff

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:03 am

Thaddeus Russell had Kevin Williamson on the recent show. I've really liked Williamson's writing for some time. Lot's of good stuff on abortion, immigration, Trump, and politics in general.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:13 am

Jocko Willink 136 "He was no coward"

Heavy, heavy shit, about WWI soldiers shot for 'cowardice'. Very personal accounts from them and the firing squads.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:39 am

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:13 am

Heavy, heavy shit, about WWI soldiers shot for 'cowardice'. Very personal accounts from them and the firing squads.
Sounds cool, thanks for the heads up.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:40 am

GloryofGreece wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:39 am
SuburbanFarmer wrote:

I love this podcast, for the most part. You can't tell what it is from the episode titles, but most of the episodes are a summary of a book about war, or war stories. Very interesting stuff.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:41 am

doc_loliday wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:03 am
Thaddeus Russell had Kevin Williamson on the recent show. I've really liked Williamson's writing for some time. Lot's of good stuff on abortion, immigration, Trump, and politics in general.
Thaddeus can be a bit of a prick and smug but he's good with certain topics. But boy did his 30 minutes conversation with Joe about gender make me want to bang my head against the wall.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:43 am

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:40 am
GloryofGreece wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:39 am
SuburbanFarmer wrote:

I love this podcast, for the most part. You can't tell what it is from the episode titles, but most of the episodes are a summary of a book about war, or war stories. Very interesting stuff.
I've definitely listened to quite a few of his. Several with Vietnam veterans, Jordan Peterson, the Tim Ferris ones and the 731 eek. But yea good stuff, never a waste really.

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:08 am

Brion McClanahan: Episode 170: The Next Civil War?
Will there be another “civil war” and what would it look like? Are Americans so different today that this is a real possibility? Harry Crocker thinks so, and I tend to agree if we continue down the path of nationalism, top down, one-size fits all policies, and Cultural Marxism. The only real solution is to “think locally, and act locally.” I discuss Crocker’s American Spectator piece and all the juicy details in this episode of The Brion McClanahan Show.
Topic piece of the episode: America’s Next Civil War Will Be Worse Than Our Last
North and South venerated the Founders. They shared the same language, the same religion, and, in large part, the same general stock. Most of all, they shared what Jeff Sessions was recently rebuked for calling an “Anglo-American heritage” of liberty under law, stretching from the mists of medieval England — even before Magna Carta — to our own Bill of Rights.

Today, however, our divisions are so deep and fundamental that Americans cannot even agree on what marriage is or what a man or a woman is (which is pretty darn fundamental).

The lunatic self-righteousness of the Left (and yes, I’m afraid one must point fingers here), where disagreement is bigotry to be prohibited by law or even condemned and prosecuted as treason, is a consuming, destructive fire that will not be easily quenched, and cannot be reached by cool waters of rational argument.
Crocker thinks there is a path to reconciliation, apparently. McClanahan is just hoping for a peaceful dissolution. Bye bye, Kalifornia, and Godspeed.

I'm not certain education is going to work. I'm not certain it's going work at all. And then he says we can also try to lighten the mood a little, so he's going to use Custer as a way to do that.

Crocker says: “America’s story is a glorious adventure — not a grim catalogue of irredeemable sins. The sinners-in-the-hands-of-an-angry-progressive-god sermonizing that comes at us in endless, stultifying repetition from the press, Hollywood, and academia — today’s hysterical, bug-eyed, Puritan witch-burners — is the acid-bath dissolving our culture and our nation.”

This is true; I mean, all this is true. So, how do you do it? Well, he says we gotta educate, we gotta lighten the mood.

Well, that's not going to do it. It's not going to do it at all. This is where you get to Think Locally, Act Locally. The only thing that will save America today – because, frankly, these people – these hysterical, bug-eyed puritan witch-burners, as he describes them – are lost.

There's no redeeming them. Just go onto social media and see; there's no redeeming these people. They can't come back. And they won't come back. They're self-loathing individuals. They are Yankees. They may not even be from New England. They may not be from New England stock; but they're Yankees, in the purest sense of the word. They are self-loathing individuals. Yankees hated themselves. They hated themselves. And wherever they go, it doesn't matter, they think that if they go to, say, South Carolina, its going to make them better.

They can't, because they have a disease, called Yankeeism.

And so the only way to solve this problem – the only way to solve this problem – is thinking locally, acting locally. It is federalism. It is decentralization. It is going back to the idea that the central authority needs to be as limited as possible for essentially two things; commerce and defense. And that's it.

. . .

It's understanding that not every issue is a national issue. That is the only way to save America. The. Only. Way. The only other option, of course, is succession. This is why I would love to see California leave the union. Because I think that would actually save America. Dismembering a part to save the whole is what Edmond Burke suggested during the American War for Independence. He saw it too. Let the American colonies go, because we'll save the empire. Let California go, to save the rest of America. Because if you don't, it can get to what Harry Crocker is talking about here. And I think that is the point.

There has to be a political solution to this; it's not going to come culturally, because these people that advance these positions cannot be culturally redeemed. They are too far gone. There is no coming back. The disease has overtaken them. Yankeeism has overtaken them. And they can't come back from it.

And we live in New England; and Yankeeism is everywhere. It doesn't matter is you're in the South, North, it's everywhere. So, you have to start thinking small. You have to think locally and act locally. That is the only way to do it.

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:20 am

Fife wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:08 am
I finally came to Jesus
Tsk tsk Fife - Harry would be disappointed. :shifty:

Fife

Post by Fife » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:55 am

I've linked to Stephan Kinsella around here a time or two I believe. This interview is packed with smarts and goodness.

KOL248 | Stephan Livera Podcast 15 – Intellectual Property, Bitcoin, and Internet Censorship

http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/0/5/3/0534ab4 ... 796d3c4951

Stephan Kinsella, Intellectual Property lawyer, and libertarian advocate joins me in this episode to discuss:

* His story with bitcoin
* Money as Sui Generis Good
* The imprecise application of Lockean property theory
* Why you can’t own bitcoin, but it probably doesn’t make a big difference anyway
* The harmful effects of patents and copyright
* ‘Internet Censorship’ as it relates to property rights and ownership of private social media platforms

Come for the bitcoin stuff, stay for the anti-IP and social media censorship stuff. You won't regret it. Very good stuff.