What show are you watching right now?

Kath

Re: What show are you watching right now?

Post by Kath » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:21 pm

DS9 update - last ep of 4 / first ep of 5 - all about Odo... interesting take on his relationship with the link, then immediately back to fantasy play with 4 DS9 characters turning Klingon. :facepalm: reach into bag-o-tricks until we can be creative another five episodes from now.
Why are all the Gods such vicious cunts? Where's the God of tits and wine?

brewster

Post by brewster » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:54 pm

Kath wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:03 pm
Don't forget all the Invasion of the Body Snatcher eps. So much filler.
I thought that's covered under evil twins! I have a crank theory about body snatcher plots. SF movies in the 50s & 60s were all about destruction of the Earth or our way of life, that was perceived as the worst thing that could happen. By the late 70s, the "narcissism decade", it was all "me". The worst thing that could happen is to lose your personality, your self. We had The Stepford Wives to the Stargate Go'auld Just look how John Carpenter changed The Thing. Our bodies becoming someone else was worse than dying.

Or it could just be SOOOO cheap to do Body Snatchers, I mean you don't need new sets or even makeup!
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Kath

Post by Kath » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:51 pm

brewster wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:54 pm
Kath wrote:
I thought that's covered under evil twins!
I wouldn't say that. Alternate reality doesn't cover the body snatcher episode I just saw - takeover of Keiko's body, but everyone else just sees her. Next episode - time travel to original Enterprise's trouble with the fucking tribbles episode.... then a Risa, and now.... can't believe it - an episode that combines time travel & body snatcher.... Quantam Leap style.

How is this the best of the line? It's 75% rinse-repeat stuff.
Why are all the Gods such vicious cunts? Where's the God of tits and wine?

brewster

Post by brewster » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:26 pm

Kath wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:51 pm
brewster wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:54 pm
Kath wrote:
I thought that's covered under evil twins!
I wouldn't say that. Alternate reality doesn't cover the body snatcher episode I just saw - takeover of Keiko's body, but everyone else just sees her. Next episode - time travel to original Enterprise's trouble with the fucking tribbles episode.... then a Risa, and now.... can't believe it - an episode that combines time travel & body snatcher.... Quantam Leap style.

How is this the best of the line? It's 75% rinse-repeat stuff.
There's a number of lists of "watch/skip" for DS9, google ds9 episodes to skip. I have one on the HTPC, I can't recall which one it is. Problem is it's a matter of taste, there were definitely ones I would have skipped that appear to be included for character development reasons. You wouldn't understand something later on if you skipped it. I was rewatching my way through it last year, I think I was on S4, after finishing the last decent seasons of SG1. That show got crappy and weird after the Goa'uld were defeated and half the cast of Farscape turned up.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:47 pm

Farscape was WAY better than any Star Trek series, and more suited for Kath anyway. It's more her wavelength, if you think about it.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:49 pm

Yeah.. I might have to turn the television on again after all this time. I miss Farscape.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:53 pm

God damn that was the greatest show of all time.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:57 pm

Been rewatching ST:TNG. We're up to season 4 now, and the whole family is hooked. Just had to skip a few filler episodes in seasons 1 and 2, to get to the Borg more quickly. Season 3 is when it really takes off.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

brewster

Post by brewster » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:27 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:47 pm
Farscape was WAY better than any Star Trek series, and more suited for Kath anyway. It's more her wavelength, if you think about it.
Farscape had a lot going for it, I enjoyed it for the most part except where it infringed on my peeves noted above. It was a little too comic book influenced for my taste, the villain in black tails was way over the top, but I could still enjoy it as it didn't take itself so seriously as ST. Further in that direction was Lexx, which was completely bizarre, surreal and dark humored.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:30 pm

brewster wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:27 pm
Speaker to Animals wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:47 pm
Farscape had a lot going for it, I enjoyed it for the most part except where it infringed on my peeves noted above. It was a little too comic book influenced for my taste, the villain in black tails was way over the top, but I could still enjoy it as it didn't take itself so seriously as ST. Further in that direction was Lexx, which was completely bizarre, surreal and dark humored.

Yeah, I liked Lexx too, but it's not necessarily going to appeal to Kath. Farscape almost certainly would appeal to her. Farscape doesn't take itself seriously. It's space fantasy and it knows it. It's fun about it. Space fantasy that pretends to be science fiction is almost always garbage, with a few exceptions.

Star Trek Enterprise was pretty good in the second season, but that was about it. Most Star Trek series had a few good shows, but overall they weren't all that good. Farscape was fun and hilarious the whole time.