What show are you watching right now?

MilSpecs

Re: What show are you watching right now?

Post by MilSpecs » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:08 pm

PartyOf5 wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:05 am
MilSpecs wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:52 pm
Just finished the first season of Lost In Space. Parker Posey is amazing. The take on Robot is very good. The rest is entertaining with annoying parts mixed in. In general a decent take on a classic camp series, minus the camp.
I just finished this last night. Not bad, not great. Made me feel old remembering the original series. For the most part I enjoyed the new takes on the characters and the story. It was big budget movie quality in terms of the set and effects. I agree about the robot. The overall backstory has been very good too.

My biggest issue with all of these Netflix series is that they feel drawn out. The Marvel ones especially felt like a lot of filler was added in order to pad the 8-12 episodes. I recall Punisher feeling like the 8 episodes should have been 6 at most. LIS wasn't too drawn out, but there were a few episodes that felt that way.
Agreed, it was not bad, not great and it felt drawn out.

I think this was my first Netflix series. What else should I try?
:royalty-queen:

Kath

Post by Kath » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:18 pm

MilSpecs wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:08 pm
PartyOf5 wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:05 am
MilSpecs wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:52 pm
Just finished the first season of Lost In Space. Parker Posey is amazing. The take on Robot is very good. The rest is entertaining with annoying parts mixed in. In general a decent take on a classic camp series, minus the camp.
I just finished this last night. Not bad, not great. Made me feel old remembering the original series. For the most part I enjoyed the new takes on the characters and the story. It was big budget movie quality in terms of the set and effects. I agree about the robot. The overall backstory has been very good too.

My biggest issue with all of these Netflix series is that they feel drawn out. The Marvel ones especially felt like a lot of filler was added in order to pad the 8-12 episodes. I recall Punisher feeling like the 8 episodes should have been 6 at most. LIS wasn't too drawn out, but there were a few episodes that felt that way.
Agreed, it was not bad, not great and it felt drawn out.

I think this was my first Netflix series. What else should I try?
The crown . Orange is the New Black. Black Mirror. I also enjoy Grace and Frankie a lot but that won't be for everyone. And the unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt all really good stuffm
Why are all the Gods such vicious cunts? Where's the God of tits and wine?

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:07 pm

Thanks, I'm trying Black Mirror first.
:royalty-queen:

PartyOf5

Post by PartyOf5 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:17 pm

Black Mirror is good. It's a 21st century Twilight Zone.

Ozark was good too. Breaking Bad type of story.

Kath

Post by Kath » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:25 pm

MilSpecs wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:07 pm
Thanks, I'm trying Black Mirror first.
We've seen 5 so far and while they're all decent some of them are better than others the good news is you don't have to watch them in order. Since you like sci-fi I highly recommend you start with season 4 episode 1 USS Callister. That will give you a good sense of what the show of is capable of excellent episode

brewster

Post by brewster » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:45 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:55 pm
Not really. Star Trek is just the most prolific garbage pile that promulgated these tropes. Most of them were explored in detail in science fiction and fantasy magazines for decades before Star Trek. Hell, before television was a serious thing, even. Go listen to Dimension X or X Minus One episodes from the 1930s and 1940s.

It wasn't even particularly good writing. Space fantasy is fucking horrible except for a few exceptions, anyway (Barsoom novels, for instance).
Trek is full of simply awful writing. One of my standard rants for many years is that Time Travel is the last refuge of the lame writer out of ideas, along with Evil Twins and Amnesia Plots. ST is guilty not only of these, but of often using 2 or 3 together. I don't understand having an entire universe to play in, and needing to time travel to get a plot, it never makes sense, ever. I was disgusted that the new one, Discovery dove right into the bullshit in the first season hitting all 3 tropes!

Just watched S2E5 of Westworld with my 16 yo daughter, jeez that show is good. This episode was basically a tribute to Kurasawa, with Hiroyuki Sanada from Helix more or less doing an homage to Toshiro Mifune. Also enjoying mindless fun of Magicians. I like it doesn't take itself too seriously. At one point in S3E1 a character is told the gang needs to go on a quest to find 7 keys. When he asks how long this will take he's told "the rest of the season"
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Kath

Post by Kath » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:34 pm

Capps ... it's super cute how you try to engage me via PM, but the moment I see it's you writing, I delete it. I tend to just click my notifications without reading them, just to make them disappear. I have no idea what you've written to me in the last three emails. If you'd like to discuss DS9, here is the place to do so.

HAGD.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:59 am

Kath wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:34 pm
Capps ... it's super cute how you try to engage me via PM, but the moment I see it's you writing, I delete it. I tend to just click my notifications without reading them, just to make them disappear. I have no idea what you've written to me in the last three emails. If you'd like to discuss DS9, here is the place to do so.

HAGD.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Kath

Post by Kath » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:44 am

Hastur wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:59 am

He read the post, because there was another PM for me this morning. I wonder what he wants. If only there were some sort of public forum for him to give me his insights regarding DS9.. ponderous.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:48 am

He's sending sick pics to Kath too??