What show are you watching right now?

Kath

Re: What show are you watching right now?

Post by Kath » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:40 am

Penner wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:23 pm
It's Star Trek, they probably invented the trope.
1888. I was sure it wasn't Star Trek, but wouldn't have guessed that far back.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainme ... es/257638/
Though most would cite H.G. Wells's 1895 novel The Time Machine as the progenitor of the modern time-travel story, the author wrote an even earlier one, "The Chronic Argonauts," in 1888. Sandwiched between Wells's two time-machine stories was the other founding text of the genre: Mark Twain's 1889 satire A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. Unlike Wells, who always put at least a cursory effort into the science of his science fiction, Twain was more interested in what a time traveler would do than in how he got there; his Connecticut Yankee awakens in Camelot times after being knocked out by a crowbar.
Why are all the Gods such vicious cunts? Where's the God of tits and wine?

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:52 pm

Just finished the first season of Lost In Space. Parker Posey is amazing. The take on Robot is very good. The rest is entertaining with annoying parts mixed in. In general a decent take on a classic camp series, minus the camp.
:royalty-queen:

Penner

Post by Penner » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:28 pm

I am just starting episode 4x05 of Unbreakable Jimmy Schimt. Its a halirious show and I will miss it when its gone.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:20 pm

Wells didn't invent it either.

Mark Twain wrote Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court in the 1880s. Washington Irving wrote Rip Van Winkle in in the 1810s, I think.

I can't think of any genre fiction using time travel dated before that off-hand, but folklore featured time travel pretty much everywhere. Every culture that has stories of fairies of some kind has stories about time travel. Fairies entice or abduct innocent humans into their realm. There is a feast. It is implied that they want to mate with him in order to create hybrids in many instances. They return him to our world after the night. But in our world, many years have passed and he was presumed dead.

That trope is old as shit and almost global. There is a kind of fairy tradition in Philippines that is basically the same thing. They have legend of a fairy city on one of their islands that you cannot really reach or find, but sailors see it's lights from the sea sometimes. The inhabitants are technologically advanced compared to us, and they hide their city from us, but they lust after us and sometimes abduct humans to the city never to return. The offspring of the humans and fairies can pass for humans, though, and often are reported as visiting Disney World and other locations. Taxi drivers reported having driven them to some spot where they thanked him and got out, and then disappeared.

Yeats recorded many Irish folktales of similar effect that date back really far.

The time travel genre is actually much, much older than science fiction (and space fantasy like Star Trek). It's a genre that actually merged with fantasy in the 1800s from folktale traditions (Irving), and then later merged with science fiction (Wells).

The books of the Bible arguably are a form of time travel as well (communication between times).

Penner

Post by Penner » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:41 pm

time travel is a common subject that has been around for a long time BUT Star Trek created most of the tropes we see today.

Also, here is the best monologue in Star Trek's history:

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:55 pm

Not really. Star Trek is just the most prolific garbage pile that promulgated these tropes. Most of them were explored in detail in science fiction and fantasy magazines for decades before Star Trek. Hell, before television was a serious thing, even. Go listen to Dimension X or X Minus One episodes from the 1930s and 1940s.

It wasn't even particularly good writing. Space fantasy is fucking horrible except for a few exceptions, anyway (Barsoom novels, for instance).

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:54 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:35 pm
One of my juggler mates gave me every episode of Rick and Morty last week. Haven't started watching them yet.
Off work with a bad back so binge watched 9 episodes...
Not sure what all the fuss is about.
I find the voice of Rick really irritating and it's not made me laugh out loud once.
I must be missing something...
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:54 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:54 am
Montegriffo wrote:
One of my juggler mates gave me every episode of Rick and Morty last week. Haven't started watching them yet.
I find the voice of Rick really irritating and it's not made me laugh out loud once.
I don’t get it either.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:58 am

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:54 am
Montegriffo wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:54 am
Montegriffo wrote:
I don’t get it either.
I'm not saying it's bad but it certainly doesn't warrant all the hype.
If only Capps were here to tell me why I'm wrong.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

PartyOf5

Post by PartyOf5 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:05 am

MilSpecs wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:52 pm
Just finished the first season of Lost In Space. Parker Posey is amazing. The take on Robot is very good. The rest is entertaining with annoying parts mixed in. In general a decent take on a classic camp series, minus the camp.
I just finished this last night. Not bad, not great. Made me feel old remembering the original series. For the most part I enjoyed the new takes on the characters and the story. It was big budget movie quality in terms of the set and effects. I agree about the robot. The overall backstory has been very good too.

My biggest issue with all of these Netflix series is that they feel drawn out. The Marvel ones especially felt like a lot of filler was added in order to pad the 8-12 episodes. I recall Punisher feeling like the 8 episodes should have been 6 at most. LIS wasn't too drawn out, but there were a few episodes that felt that way.