Re: Outdoors thread

Post by C-Mag » Thu May 31, 2018 1:41 am

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 10:16 pm
C-Mag wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 9:37 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 8:43 pm

1800 sq ft field, with 4 fruit trees, herb garden, 4 potato bins, side bed, and berry patch... Yeah, it's a small family farm.

I'd like to have chickens, but not an option in the current house.
A Victory Garden, actually you have 50% more than a Victory Garden, but not quite a farm

I really wish some political leader, any leader would push for stuff like this. A small 25 by 50 plot to feed a family of 5.
Ok, what’s the definition of a “small family farm”, then? I take it to mean ‘a plot of land, which provides the majority of food for a family’.

And I will not accept Okees definition of a 100 acre commercial operation.

Neat picture, I didn’t know those were so planned out.

Actually Farm is a legal term, if you search you states definition of a farm, you'll find it. For me, it's a min 20 acres dedicated to agriculture, you cannot count any space for your home in the 20 acres, and some other stipulations as well. If you have 100 acres dedicated to agriculture, that's all it takes. May be different for you.

That pick a planting guide for all the food a family of 5 needed and when planted as diagramed it would produce a visible V symbol in the middle of the garden. I imagine most people planted them as they liked for their needs.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Kath

Post by Kath » Thu May 31, 2018 12:22 pm

The plot of dirt with vegetables in your backyard is called a garden, not a farm. I have veggies in containers right now - we have to get a spot in the backyard set up, still, and it requires a lot of manual labor. It's on the projects list, but not a priority right now. Seems like the most fun projects are always lower on the priority list than the not-at-all fun projects.
Why are all the Gods such vicious cunts? Where's the God of tits and wine?

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Thu May 31, 2018 12:24 pm

Y’all should see this dandelion farm I got in the backyard.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu May 31, 2018 12:24 pm

Legal definitions aside (and I think we should all agree this wasn't a legal proposition that he made), I would delineate a farm from a garden when you either (1) produce most of your own vegetables in order to live off it, or (2) you produce food that you sell at a market.

What is a farm but a piece of productive land used to produce food for your family or to sell at a market??

A garden, to me anyway, describes a hobby. You are growing tomatoes as a hobby. You still go to the grocery store every week to buy veggies and whatnot. You don't depend on the garden in any meaningful way.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu May 31, 2018 12:38 pm

Well I do plan to try my hand at the Farmers Market this year. We’re going to have a lot more than we can eat, unless we find a way to preserve it all.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu May 31, 2018 12:40 pm

I mean.. How much wheat did you produce last year?

I never heard of anybody' "wheat garden".

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu May 31, 2018 12:45 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 12:40 pm
I mean.. How much wheat did you produce last year?

I never heard of anybody' "wheat garden".
I produced about half a gallon of it. It taught me quite a bit about soil testing, nutrients, and the process. The experiment succeeded, but that was just something to try while I didn’t have time to actually garden. I also grew winter wheat as an excellent cover crop over the winter, to fertilize my soil.

I’ve got dozens of pepper, tomato plants, squash, melon, corn, beans, cabbage, berries, potatoes, and more going this year. Expected yield is a few hundred pounds of organic produce.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Kath

Post by Kath » Thu May 31, 2018 12:58 pm

Our last house was in HOA-ville and we were prohibited from having a garden of any kind - not even a tomato plant in a container was allowed. It's crazy how people want to ensure they are completely dependent on others for their existence.
Why are all the Gods such vicious cunts? Where's the God of tits and wine?

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu May 31, 2018 1:04 pm

Kath wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 12:58 pm
Our last house was in HOA-ville and we were prohibited from having a garden of any kind - not even a tomato plant in a container was allowed. It's crazy how people want to ensure they are completely dependent on others for their existence.
My dad lives in a development that regulates what kind of mulch he can use, and the shape of his bushes. I will never live like that.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace