Europe, Boring Until it's Not

Speaker to Animals

Re: Europe, Boring Until it's Not

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon May 28, 2018 6:36 pm

There was a divider between the balconies and he would have to climb out over the edge to get around it. Unlike Mali-man, he was afraid.

The dude from Mali didn't even shake. I think a few of us would attempt the same, but I know if it were me you'd see me shaking and you'd clearly see that I shat myself somewhere around the third floor. This guy has talent.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon May 28, 2018 7:06 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 6:36 pm
There was a divider between the balconies and he would have to climb out over the edge to get around it. Unlike Mali-man, he was afraid.

The dude from Mali didn't even shake. I think a few of us would attempt the same, but I know if it were me you'd see me shaking and you'd clearly see that I shat myself somewhere around the third floor. This guy has talent.
Yeah, I'd be running up the stairs or something. I'd never make it more than 2 stories up, from the outside.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Tue May 29, 2018 12:02 am

A medal, citizenship and now a job offer from a fire brigade. Not bad for a few minutes work. A super-fast hero's journey. :clap: :dance:

I predict a book deal and an accompanying movie.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Otern

Post by Otern » Tue May 29, 2018 1:48 am

It's some extremely risky climbing. Most people in decent shape could do it, but they'd want a rope, for safety. He's even doing some jumps, to get to the top quicker, when a safer option would be to do it a bit slower.

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Tue May 29, 2018 1:55 am

A sad, little follow up on the story:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-44287494
The boy had left Réunion, where his mother and grandmother live, about three weeks ago and moved to Paris to join his father, who was working there.

His mother and the couple's second child were due to join them in June.

His mother told Antenne Réunion that the boy's father was not used to looking after him on his own and had left him alone before.

"I can't justify what my husband did. People will say it could have happened to anyone and it has happened to other people. My son was just lucky," she said.

After doing the shopping, the boy's father had delayed going home to play Pokemon Go, prosecutors said.

The father is reported to have been left devastated by what happened, BFMTV said.

His mother is also due to be interviewed by social workers in Réunion, Antenne Réunion said.
While I generally don't condone criminalizing parents who leave kids to play or be home alone, I'd say there's also a sensible lower limit - around age seven, and even then not for more than half a day. The Pokemon Go detail, though... :|
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

Otern

Post by Otern » Tue May 29, 2018 3:16 am

BjornP wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 1:55 am
While I generally don't condone criminalizing parents who leave kids to play or be home alone, I'd say there's also a sensible lower limit - around age seven, and even then not for more than half a day. The Pokemon Go detail, though... :|
It'll turn into a witch hunt for the parents. And that's a bad thing. 4 years old and home alone for half a day is probably a bit too long and too young. But it's really one of those things that happens, parents can't really be around their children at all times, because that's not healthy either.

Otern

Post by Otern » Tue May 29, 2018 3:59 am

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-44289404

Turns out mass shootings can still happen, even with strict gun control, AND armed police.

nmoore63

Post by nmoore63 » Tue May 29, 2018 2:09 pm

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Tue May 29, 2018 2:23 pm

nmoore63 wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 2:09 pm
https://www.commentarymagazine.com/fore ... oup-italy/

Umm Italy?
Not a coup, just Italian politics as it's been for decades. Their president, who is not elected by the people, but by parliament, has the right to forbid a party or individual from forming a democratically elected government if they think it poses a serious risk to the country. Some sort of leftover from the anti-Fascist laws they enacted after the fall of Mussolini, according to what they're been saying on the radio. Result is that Italians simply need to wait even more time for a government to form, and the idiot president of Italy is sure to rile up even more populist support. Complete clown show. Still, the EU is vastly overreaching, and fortunately more and more on the center, and center-right are opening their eyes to this.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue May 29, 2018 2:45 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-44287640
Contempt of court is the crime of ignoring the court and its constitutional role in making sure that justice is done.

Robinson was convicted of contempt for interfering with a trial in Canterbury.

His attempts to film defendants on that occasion could, the judge said, have "prejudiced" the jury, leading to an unfair verdict - and he was warned he'd go to jail if he did anything remotely similar again.

Why couldn't we initially report Robinson's arrest and jailing? Reporting restrictions are a long-standing part of the British legal system. In this case, the judge ordered a temporary media black-out because he feared reporting Robinson's conviction could influence the jury in the very case Robinson was targeting.

This is not some new form of censorship directed at Robinson. These are rules that apply to us all, equally. If he is unsure about that, he's now got time on his hands to read a copy of Essential Law for Journalists.

Robinson was already subject to a suspended sentence for a contempt charge related to a separate case in Canterbury.

The judge had warned him then he should expect to go to prison if he committed further offences.

Robinson was given 10 months in jail for contempt of court, and a further three months for breaching the previous suspended sentence.

Judge Geoffrey Marson QC initially imposed restrictions for fear that reporting his arrest would prejudice an ongoing trial.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.