So, I've committed myself to writing a multi-novel series...

The Conservative

Re: So, I've committed myself to writing a multi-novel series...

Post by The Conservative » Thu May 04, 2017 11:01 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
The Conservative wrote:So, in little over a week's time I've pushed out about 20 pages, that is working 2 hours a day on it. I've taken the story and thrown a twist into it. I'm introducing secondary characters into the story before the primary.

With those that read a lot, does this kind of writing happen more than not, or is it that they introduce the main character first and go from there?

You can do whatever you want, but in pulp fiction, that's generally a bad idea. Introduce your protagonist as early as possible, demonstrating his character right away. The plot should involve enormous stakes for your lead character and you should also develop that early. Think about how Indiana Jones started.

I don't claim you cannot do something different, but that stuff really might not be a good idea.

You might also consider some kind of strategy like plotting rather than writing the thing from page one. Most people I know seem to prefer starting later in the story and worrying about the beginning of the novel later on the process. But you should have some kind of structure pinned down before you start writing the actual novel.
Well if this was "pulp fiction" I'd agree, but this is going to be over 100K words... more likely the way things are going between 120K and 200K per book.

As for the rest, I'm introducing characters which will and have already influenced the main character's life growing up, and situations that will follow her throughout the first and part of the second book. Chapter 3 of the first book, which I am working on now is where the main character is truly introduced.

The entire story is already written per say I wrote a synopsis of it the beginning of the year at least up to the 2nd book and part of the third, I am just filling in the gaps as I write.

Also, the story board idea is good, but if I constrict myself too much nothing will get done. I tried that already and it took me a week to write two pages because I was putting too much constraint on myself.
#NotOneRedCent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu May 04, 2017 11:05 am

You are writing genre fiction. That is pulp fiction by definition. Pulp fiction is not a negative term. Most "literature" published today sucks feminist cock. Genre fiction is where the most interesting ideas get explored.

But in choosing that path, you also accept certain constraints as a potential new author. An established author will have the credibility and hopefully the skillcraft to experiment, but no publisher or reader will give you the opportunity. If a reader doesn't know what's going on early, they put down the rest of the book and look elsewhere.

Again, think about how the most successful genre fiction was written. You can see how to do it by analyzing the fiction you liked most.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Thu May 04, 2017 11:43 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:You are writing genre fiction. That is pulp fiction by definition. Pulp fiction is not a negative term. Most "literature" published today sucks feminist cock. Genre fiction is where the most interesting ideas get explored.

But in choosing that path, you also accept certain constraints as a potential new author. An established author will have the credibility and hopefully the skillcraft to experiment, but no publisher or reader will give you the opportunity. If a reader doesn't know what's going on early, they put down the rest of the book and look elsewhere.

Again, think about how the most successful genre fiction was written. You can see how to do it by analyzing the fiction you liked most.
Pulp Fiction was written for almost 60 years, they ended around the 1950's, it was called pulp fiction because it was a cheap paper magazine... with short stories, etc... the higher quality versions that were printed on glossed paper were called "Glossies or Slicks"...

Meh, either way.

As for a writing style, ever wonder why so much crap comes out today and we call it literature? Perhaps we need something different to spice up the story a bit. I mean every story we get out today introduces the main character outright and then the story begins... what is wrong with writing a story with the main character is part of the life of the book and works their way up to becoming the story? Seems different, but I think it would give more emphasis on storycraft instead of writing just another story... but again, that's me thinking out loud.
#NotOneRedCent

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:45 pm

Book one is almost done. Just shy of 150,000 words, I have two more chapters to finish and I'll be ready to try to peddle my first book for publication.

I've been told I may have to break this one book into two... we will see.
#NotOneRedCent

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:55 pm

The Conservative wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:44 am
katarn wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
Saber, and AR would be realsictic :)

That being said it's actually fantasy style, dragons, etc.
More detail on the fantasy style please.
Female lead starts off as a child, and thrown into situations beyond her control because of her lineage. While doing so, she searches for her father (the one that has the questionable lineage) gets involved with a world she didn't know existed, and ends up becoming more than she knew she could at the beginning of the book series.

Basic storyline is a mix between High Fantasy, and Magic Fantasy if I had to put it into a genre.

Damn it's the Kamala Harris story
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:56 pm

Book one is almost done. Just shy of 150,000 words, I have two more chapters to finish and I'll be ready to try to peddle my first book for publication.
Congrats!
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:06 pm

The Conservative wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:19 pm
I've been writing off and on for a while, and I found myself getting bored while taking the train back and fourth... so I worked up two character descriptions, and I'm working with an artist to create the characters. My wife is my editor, and I've been working a few weeks 2 hours a day writing. So far I've pushed out a little over 42 pages, and about 10,400 words (only on chapter 2)

I thought about writing just a novel, but I have found myself in a situation where to do so I would have to seriously risk sacrificing the overall story. As it stands I have enough material to run this for between three to four books if I stretch it. When I mean books, I mean 500 pages a piece on average...

If I can keep it up, I can write a book, and have it edited in less than half a year's time. By then I'll be working on getting it published, or working on the 2nd one while trying to get the first published.

Depending on the day, and what I'm working on, I have been pushing between 3 to 10 pages a day... again, it depends on the page I'm working on. A lot of talking, or a lot of detail, both seem to have their own speed of filling a page.
Will you please let me in your acknowledgements? I have helped inspire you and answer many of your questions on this forum, which undoubtedly helped with your book. List me first.

Put something like this:

And I'd like to thank HeyDaralon for challenging me, inspiring me, giving me the ideas to move forward, and writing the rough draft which I expanded upon. The man was a godsend. He never gave up, and without him I would have. He even used his contacts in the publishing industry to get this book onto the shelves. We could all use a friend like him, and I feel bad for all those times I insulted him online, because he was just trying to help me finish my book, which he is a co-author of. Thank you again, Daralon!

In fact, just copy and paste that. Credit where it is due and so forth...
Shikata ga nai

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:10 pm

DrYouth wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:56 pm
Congrats!
Thanks, took longer than I thought it would.

I amazingly only hit a writers block twice in this book.

I might take a month off to go through the book one last time to edit some random things I’m not overly happy with.

But I’ll be pushing this book to publishers by the spring/summer.

Here is hoping it takes off.
#NotOneRedCent

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:13 pm

Props

Can we get an intro or a few excerpts ?
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:20 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:13 pm
Props

Can we get an intro or a few excerpts ?
The intro/first few chapters is what I want to fix. But give me time, I’ll have something. It’s not easy to pick a favorite section to show off, there are a lot of good parts in my opinion.
#NotOneRedCent