So, I've committed myself to writing a multi-novel series...

The Conservative

So, I've committed myself to writing a multi-novel series...

Post by The Conservative » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:19 pm

I've been writing off and on for a while, and I found myself getting bored while taking the train back and fourth... so I worked up two character descriptions, and I'm working with an artist to create the characters. My wife is my editor, and I've been working a few weeks 2 hours a day writing. So far I've pushed out a little over 42 pages, and about 10,400 words (only on chapter 2)

I thought about writing just a novel, but I have found myself in a situation where to do so I would have to seriously risk sacrificing the overall story. As it stands I have enough material to run this for between three to four books if I stretch it. When I mean books, I mean 500 pages a piece on average...

If I can keep it up, I can write a book, and have it edited in less than half a year's time. By then I'll be working on getting it published, or working on the 2nd one while trying to get the first published.

Depending on the day, and what I'm working on, I have been pushing between 3 to 10 pages a day... again, it depends on the page I'm working on. A lot of talking, or a lot of detail, both seem to have their own speed of filling a page.
#NotOneRedCent

TheReal_ND

Re: So, I've committed myself to writing a multi-novel series...

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:36 pm

Write about WSHTF and someone having to bug out of the city with a katana and a AR

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:48 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:Write about WSHTF and someone having to bug out of the city with a katana and a AR
Saber, and AR would be realsictic :)

That being said it's actually fantasy style, dragons, etc.
#NotOneRedCent

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:52 pm

Make the dragon a representive of the old order that has a lot of wealth. Make a bunch of precious metal obsessed short, hunch backs with big noses that couldn't stop mining until they disturbed the old order the protagonist.

Wait that's been done in the hobbit.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:55 pm

You should write a novel about an IT technician who commits to building an aeroponics garden and then decides the aeroponics system really has to run on a zero-point "free" energy power supply, but what he actually ends up making is an accidental time machine. He travels into the future by accident and realizes that Caitlyn Jenner will win the 2020 presidential election and then sign off on a government project that results in a total shutdown of the global power grid. Fortunately, because his machine uses his homemade ZPM, he is able to return to his own time and then begins to conspire with people on the internet to avert this terrible future.

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:41 pm

The Conservative wrote:I've been writing off and on for a while, and I found myself getting bored while taking the train back and fourth... so I worked up two character descriptions, and I'm working with an artist to create the characters. My wife is my editor, and I've been working a few weeks 2 hours a day writing. So far I've pushed out a little over 42 pages, and about 10,400 words (only on chapter 2)

I thought about writing just a novel, but I have found myself in a situation where to do so I would have to seriously risk sacrificing the overall story. As it stands I have enough material to run this for between three to four books if I stretch it. When I mean books, I mean 500 pages a piece on average...

If I can keep it up, I can write a book, and have it edited in less than half a year's time. By then I'll be working on getting it published, or working on the 2nd one while trying to get the first published.

Depending on the day, and what I'm working on, I have been pushing between 3 to 10 pages a day... again, it depends on the page I'm working on. A lot of talking, or a lot of detail, both seem to have their own speed of filling a page.
Good luck!

katarn

Post by katarn » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:21 pm

The Conservative wrote:
TheReal_ND wrote:Write about WSHTF and someone having to bug out of the city with a katana and a AR

More detail on the fantasy style please.
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:44 am

katarn wrote:
The Conservative wrote:

More detail on the fantasy style please.
Female lead starts off as a child, and thrown into situations beyond her control because of her lineage. While doing so, she searches for her father (the one that has the questionable lineage) gets involved with a world she didn't know existed, and ends up becoming more than she knew she could at the beginning of the book series.

Basic storyline is a mix between High Fantasy, and Magic Fantasy if I had to put it into a genre.
#NotOneRedCent

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Thu May 04, 2017 9:41 am

So, in little over a week's time I've pushed out about 20 pages, that is working 2 hours a day on it. I've taken the story and thrown a twist into it. I'm introducing secondary characters into the story before the primary.

With those that read a lot, does this kind of writing happen more than not, or is it that they introduce the main character first and go from there?
#NotOneRedCent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu May 04, 2017 9:56 am

The Conservative wrote:So, in little over a week's time I've pushed out about 20 pages, that is working 2 hours a day on it. I've taken the story and thrown a twist into it. I'm introducing secondary characters into the story before the primary.

With those that read a lot, does this kind of writing happen more than not, or is it that they introduce the main character first and go from there?

You can do whatever you want, but in pulp fiction, that's generally a bad idea. Introduce your protagonist as early as possible, demonstrating his character right away. The plot should involve enormous stakes for your lead character and you should also develop that early. Think about how Indiana Jones started.

I don't claim you cannot do something different, but that stuff really might not be a good idea.

You might also consider some kind of strategy like plotting rather than writing the thing from page one. Most people I know seem to prefer starting later in the story and worrying about the beginning of the novel later on the process. But you should have some kind of structure pinned down before you start writing the actual novel.