What is Good?

Martin Hash

What is Good?

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:40 am

I was working on a theory I call Liberty Binaryism, and was trying to come up with the root word for “good” (verses bad). As you can see below, all of these words are circularly defined, a breeding ground of subjectivity and fuzzy thinking. (From Dictionary.com)

Good - moral righteousness.

Morals - principles or habits with respect to right or wrong conduct.

Principles - guiding sense of the requirements and obligations of right conduct

Right - in accordance with what is good, proper, or just.

Just - based on right

Wrong - not in accordance with what is morally right or good.

Bad - morally reprehensible.

Maybe a similar term?

Ethics - a system of moral principles:

However, there are some words in the definitions that carry a modicum of objectivity.

Habits - customary practice.

Proper - conforming to established standards of behavior or manners.

I think I can work up from those.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Speaker to Animals

Re: What is Good?

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:44 am

Maybe ammend the good to acting in accord with moral righteousness rather than moral righteousness itself. For most humans, that just means doing the will of God as opposed to violating it. Natural law can work too.

It's sort of like confusing law-abiding with the law. When we do something legal, we act in accord with the law; legal act does not mean the law itself.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:53 am

Do your own crossword puzzles. Not your personal army.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:06 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:Maybe ammend the good to acting in accord with moral righteousness rather than moral righteousness itself. For most humans, that just means doing the will of God as opposed to violating it. Natural law can work too.

It's sort of like confusing law-abiding with the law. When we do something legal, we act in accord with the law; legal act does not mean the law itself.
"Objective" means leave out the mysticism.

However, I do think you identified why determining what "good" is, is so muddy; it's because historically preachers told us what it meant, and they got their info from God. (I missed that.)

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:17 am

Martin Hash wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:Maybe ammend the good to acting in accord with moral righteousness rather than moral righteousness itself. For most humans, that just means doing the will of God as opposed to violating it. Natural law can work too.

"Objective" means leave out the mysticism.

However, I do think you identified why determining what "good" is, is so muddy; it's because historically preachers told us what it meant, and they got their info from God. (I missed that.)

It wasn't preachers but philosophers who came to this conclusion.

The Good is a thing in itself. Right moral action is action that is in accord with the Good. If you conflate righteousness with the Good, then you end up with an arbitrary set of actions deemed "the good", but you need some justification for them. What makes an act righteous is whatever the Good is.

This was why Nietzsche despaired at the idea of the death of the idea of God and why Sartre spent his philosophical career grappling with existential angst.

If you want, you can use natural law in the place of God, or the Greek Logos, but you need *something* that justifies an act as morally righteous. Otherwise, you are justifying acts based on your subjective feelings, which really just leads you towards the degeneracy of the left. Eventually you will decide some form of dialectic is the best people can arrive at as a collectively agreed upon justification. That's what communism was. People abandoned the idea of God, but had to replace it with something. Marxism filled the void and provides people with some means to justify an act as moral or condemn an act as immoral. The entire division of humanity into oppressors and oppressed is the easiest way to accomplish the goal.
Last edited by Speaker to Animals on Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:19 am

"Natural Law" is also mysticism.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:19 am

Martin Hash wrote:"Natural Law" is also mysticism.

No, it's not. You just don't know what it means. You engaged in it yourself on several occasions and didn't know it. Applying reason to human nature is natural law. That's all it is.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:20 am

I am Good.

:angelic-blueglow:
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:21 am

SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:21 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Martin Hash wrote:"Natural Law" is also mysticism.

No, it's not. You just don't know what it means.
???
Okay, I'm a Martian who just landed on planet earth, stuck my flag in the ground, popped one of my pseudoeggs which I use for reproduction into my mouth for food, and you showed up. Explain "Natural Law."