Let's Riff on the next Tech/Social Revolution

DrYouth

Let's Riff on the next Tech/Social Revolution

Post by DrYouth » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:12 am

The Digital Industrial Revolution is underway.

The Automated vehicle revolution should hit first.

Waves of unemployed vehicle operators (taxi drivers, truckers) will be hitting the unemployment lines.

This will probably parallel the social disruption that occurred when waves of people left the agricultural economy for the factory economy.

That of course brought us the revolutions of the 19th and 20th century, and Capitalism, Marxism and Democracy as we now it.

What will the next tech/social revolution bring us?

How will employment work in the age of artificial intelligence and next gen robotics?

How will capitalism work?

Will humans become obsolete except for the uber elite cyborg, genetically enhanced strains?
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

SuburbanFarmer

Re: Let's Riff on the next Tech/Social Revolution

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:53 am

Depends entirely on whether government can stop strangling new businesses. Otherwise, we get another Depression, and a New Deal to handle the surplus labor.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:01 am

No one ever explains who is buying all the products being made by automated workers and shipped by self driving vehicles.
I mean . . . not to completely dismantle the trendiest doom-day scenario of the last five years, but when we're all automated out of jobs who, exactly, is buying shit?
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:14 am

I really hope we see massive death and destruction on the highways so the idea of automated vehicles gets killed
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:15 am

I had an interesting experience today that i'd like to share regarding the direction the auto industry with further implications.

I currently desk jockey in a position that grants me the ability to meet with executives of the banking industry. Today I had a jarring meeting that I think you would like to hear. It was an average business luncheon with about 15 people varying from low level desk jockeys to corner office suits, discussing different lines of the business: loans, insurance, real estate, normal bullshit. One of the executives decided to end the lunch on an interesting topic regarding the future of our auto industry.

He began by mentioning one of the present employees 4 month old child. "in 20 years she may not even have a license to drive." A rather off-putting comment but everyone let him continue. "does anyone carry around a flip phone?" no one raised their hand. He picked up his smart phone and began. "People nowadays really want to keep up with the newest technology, It seems more difficult each year to buy the next best thing. Now they offer the ability to pay in monthly and receive a new model when available so you always have your hands on the best there is." the room stayed silent, waiting for this speech to form into something relevant. He continues, " it seems more and more you see this type of service take form, with ride sharing app like uber, and apartments and condos providing ride share vouchers in place of parking spots. Now with cars themselves you see they're becoming self driving, and self driving cars don't work well when there are people driving themselves on the same road. This is something car makers from Tesla have spoken recently about. If you have a world of self driving cars and one gets in an accident who's at fault? well the car maker. So an insurance company like us would sue them for coverage because their computer failed to provide the expected safety. So car manufacturers decide they provide the insurance."

At this point the room is almost dead silent. The only thing you can hear is hands slowly tying noose's under the table as auto employees regret choosing a seemingly doomed industry. He continues "Cadillac is rolling out a pilot in NYC where you pay a flat monthly fee of $1,500 to drive around the latest models. Where insurance and maintenance are included. In Japan they're going to implement a full self driving car industry. The new charger stadium will be built with no parking lots. Large drop off zones for ride sharing will be available for fans to see the games. This leads to some questions on how the insurance business will move forward." At this point the noose is tightening on the poor guys. While all I can think about is that fucking Jon Stewart interview and wondered why this executive was blackpilling these people.

At this point he turned back the attention to the other parts of the industry that were successful and how the company is preparing and capable to offset that forseeable future with the other lines of business. giving the room some whitepills that enough people laid down their nooses. So while there was a "relief" that this isn't a sinking ship. I could sum up the thoughts of the people in the room as below. A rather lukewarm ending to a rollercoaster ride...

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:19 am

TheReal_ND wrote:The new charger stadium will be built with no parking lots. Large drop off zones for ride sharing will be available for fans to see the games. This leads to some questions on how the insurance business will move forward."
Good luck making that work in LA
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:20 am

It's downtown already isn't it? I think LA could make it work. They have p good public transportation as well.

Penner

Post by Penner » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:30 am

DBTrek wrote:No one ever explains who is buying all the products being made by automated workers and shipped by self driving vehicles.
I mean . . . not to completely dismantle the trendiest doom-day scenario of the last five years, but when we're all automated out of jobs who, exactly, is buying shit?

Some people wonder if automation would forced government to give everyone universal income or something. Although, since this is America things like this is pretty much fictional until some FDR type comes about and actually does it.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:35 am

Universal income is among the worst ideas I've ever heard.
And having frequented this forum and the last, I've heard some monumentally bad ideas.

/shrug
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:34 am

California wrote:I really hope we see massive death and destruction on the highways so the idea of automated vehicles gets killed
Much more likely that they'll die because people are sick of going everywhere so slowly and getting the doors blown off by manual drivers.

It will be another generation before it's completely accepted.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0