Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

Haumana

Re: Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

Post by Haumana » Sat May 26, 2018 11:30 pm

Posting the final product here instead of woodworking.

Pretty fun little project. I will add some wheels to it because the PVC skids are not quite cutting it and I may end up putting some foam insulation to the backside of all of the corrugated surfaces if summer proves to be too hot for the chicks.

We have been establishing our garden now that we are in for the long haul too. Already harvested tomatoes, planted a Myer's lemon tree, an avocado tree, herb garden established, corn in the ground, rosemary bush is starting to take off, artichoke plants are underway, 5 guava trees of which 2 are bearing fruit already and a few other plantings are coming along. Slowly replace anything "ornamental" or whatever with producers who will earn their keep.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat May 26, 2018 11:33 pm

Love it. Jealous of the avocado trees too.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Sat May 26, 2018 11:42 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 11:33 pm
Love it. Jealous of the avocado trees too.
It's still little, probably 2 gallon size. I think we are 3 or 4 years away from some fruit. I want to get some citrus trees in the ground. Oh and I forgot about the breadfruit tree in the front yard.

Home Depot garden department has a whole section of indigenous Polynesian local plants with placards explaining their historical usage. So we grabbed a couple of those and some Polynesian spinach equivalent.

When we set off on this journey of relocating from California we were eyeing the Big Island with a couple of acres to play with but now that we are staying on Oahu our plan is the same as it always was just tweaked to fit this 6k sf lot.

*Edit: Thanks!

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat May 26, 2018 11:43 pm

You can fit a lot of food production into a small area.

Do some research on complimentary plants, and what can go together.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Sat May 26, 2018 11:46 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 11:43 pm
You can fit a lot of food production into a small area.

Do some research on complimentary plants, and what can go together.
I have been. We are going to either do an addition or a standalone ADU and some decking in the backyard. After that, we'll know the exact area that we have left to work with and I will get some more permanent gardening going on.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon May 28, 2018 10:20 am

Another week of rain ahead, so I’m desperately trying to get the garden tilled up. It’s still heavy clay, despite my efforts at composting. My winter wheat came up very strong, so I’m hoping it can make a difference for next year.

I need some farmland, dammit.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon May 28, 2018 10:40 am

Haumana wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 11:30 pm

Pretty fun little project. I will add some wheels to it because the PVC skids are not quite cutting it and I may end up putting some foam insulation to the backside of all of the corrugated surfaces if summer proves to be too hot for the chicks.

We have been establishing our garden now that we are in for the long haul too. Already harvested tomatoes, planted a Myer's lemon tree, an avocado tree, herb garden established, corn in the ground, rosemary bush is starting to take off, artichoke plants are underway, 5 guava trees of which 2 are bearing fruit already and a few other plantings are coming along. Slowly replace anything "ornamental" or whatever with producers who will earn their keep.

That's sweet, dude. I hope you get lots of eggs out of this.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon May 28, 2018 11:40 am

Haumana wrote:

Pretty fun little project. I will add some wheels to it because the PVC skids are not quite cutting it and I may end up putting some foam insulation to the backside of all of the cotrrugated surfaces if summer proves to be too hot for the chicks.

AWESOME :clap:

Do you think they need some roof ventilation to control heat ?
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon May 28, 2018 11:43 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 3:17 pm
https://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/ ... r_06202017
The Government’s Plan To Survive Nuclear War Doesn’t Include You: “There Won’t Be Enough Bulldozers To Scrape The Bodies Off The Street”

After working the military side of refugees, I've sworn I will never be one. You lose all Liberty and are subject to others laws and customs
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon May 28, 2018 1:58 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 11:40 am
Haumana wrote:

Pretty fun little project. I will add some wheels to it because the PVC skids are not quite cutting it and I may end up putting some foam insulation to the backside of all of the cotrrugated surfaces if summer proves to be too hot for the chicks.

AWESOME :clap:

Do you think they need some roof ventilation to control heat ?
I assumed there were some holes going in the sides. ;)

Formerly GrumpyCatFace