Europe, Boring Until it's Not

BjornP

Re: Europe, Boring Until it's Not

Post by BjornP » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:08 am

Montegriffo wrote:
BjornP wrote:I hear he's a bit of a Marmite...

(dunno what it is, but I hear it's British and totally sounds like an insult, so...) Yeah! Monte! You total Marmite!

:whistle:
When something is ''Marmite'' it is something everyone has a strong opinion about. You either love or hate Marmite.
For the record - I'm a lover not a hater.
Woot? I was just making shit up. :lol:
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:09 am

For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:06 pm

Hey, Monte, did they take your knives away yet ?
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:10 pm

He's actually exempt as long as he is carrying his kitchen knives and is arguably working that day.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:51 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:48 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:He's actually exempt as long as he is carrying his kitchen knives and is arguably working that day.
I used to do an occasional bit of agency work at the Norwich City football ground.
Once the match started we were finished and were allowed to watch it if we wanted to. I'm not much of a football fan and Norwich isn't my team so I usually didn't bother. On the rare occasions that I had a look on my way home I would walk through the stadium with a whole knife roll in my bag. The security would have freaked right out if they'd known.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:48 pm

C-Mag wrote:Hey, Monte, did they take your knives away yet ?
From my cold dead hands. :lol:

K@th

Post by K@th » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:51 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
You're not allowed to have hands anymore.
Account abandoned.

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:02 pm

Kath wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:
You're not allowed to have hands anymore.
I'd also like to point out that bone can be fashioned into highly dangerous, efficient, killing tools.

And those acid attacks... well, there's stomach acids, so we'll have to call on the British lawmakers to confiscate his guts, too.

The New, Safer version of the British of the Future.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:35 pm

Kath wrote:I'm getting involved in a compliance project for EU, called General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR.)

It's rather maddening and ridiculous. I get that they don't want us to hold onto a bunch of personal information after an employee leaves, but I have to go through every single table I have, identify which fields contain an employee ID and remove those. We're talking hundreds of tables with hundreds of fields containing an employee ID. (And that's just my system, I can't imagine what the folks in payroll and HR are going through right now.)

In addition, any documents that may be attached in my system will have to be checked to see if they reference a termed employee and delete the info, EVEN IF the employee is not one of OUR employees, but one of our CLIENT"s employees.

I asked, "so I'm supposed to open every single document in my system every day and call the employer and ask if these people still work there?" Answer? We don't know yet, anything is possible with the EU.

Lol.... what a nightmare. Any employee in the EU has the right to call a former employer and require the employer prove that they've removed every single thing that could identify them, even their work phone number, which is no longer a valid number.

OMG... can't prove a negative unless you give the former employee access to every single data point and every single document that exists in the company.

WTF Europe?
Yea, it’s a big deal over here as well. I’m not complaining to much since the company I work for makes a lot of money advicing on its implementation. The most important thing is to know what kind of information you have so you can delete personal records if you are required to. Also to be able to show that you have routines in place to regularly go over old stuff and delete anything containing personal data that isn’t used anymore.
It’s a bit of a chain letter as well since to be certified all your digital partners have to do the same work as well.
I personally think most of it is common sense and should have been common practice long ago but since it never was the EU felt they had to legislate.
The directive is very porly written from a lega standpoint. Swedish lawyers don’t even use the Swedish translation since the language in it is so far from the legalese they are used to so they use the English version instead.
The confusion is great and everyone is waiting in great anticipation for the first cases to be heard.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck