Let's Riff on the next Tech/Social Revolution

DBTrek

Re: Let's Riff on the next Tech/Social Revolution

Post by DBTrek » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:36 pm

Real unemployment down 8.7% since 2009, by the way.
Down.
Not up.

Trending away from disaster, not towards.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:03 pm

Look at the disability numbers. Also, that particular unemoyment number does not count people who gave up or are working part-time jobs just to feed themselves. It's a cooked stat.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:30 pm

Gallup Good Job index climbing as well.
Pick your metrics, they're all telling the same story.

Disability claims applications trending down since 2010 - even though Baby boomers are getting older. In 2016 there were 2.3 million applications for disability - or 0.6% of the population.

Hardly seems like an environment where grown men should be discussing how to get the government to assume their living expenses in perpetuity while demanding nothing in return.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:20 pm

A government that provides services without making demands just doesn't strike me as all that terrible.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Fife

Post by Fife » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:10 pm

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:A government that provides services without making demands just doesn't strike me as all that terrible.
Terrible? TERRIBLE??? Fuck, Dude, its positively AWESOME!

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:12 pm

Th-that's not how you smoke crack. Wtf? They stole my antenna for nothing.

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:19 pm

Everybody loves to party man.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Fife

Post by Fife » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:28 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:Th-that's not how you smoke crack. Wtf? They stole my antenna for nothing.
Iuunnno. I searched the google for "people who think the government has the ability to hand out a free lunch are addicts of smoking heroin" or something like that. Maybe I just searched "TANSTAAFL heroin addicts", I really don't remember.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:33 pm

Pfft. More cost efficient to slam it. Statists everybody!

Fife

Post by Fife » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:52 pm

Here's your new mantra, UBI fans: Fuck work

Economists believe in full employment. Americans think that work builds character. But what if jobs aren’t working anymore?
Work means everything to us Americans. For centuries – since, say, 1650 – we’ve believed that it builds character (punctuality, initiative, honesty, self-discipline, and so forth). We’ve also believed that the market in labour, where we go to find work, has been relatively efficient in allocating opportunities and incomes. And we’ve believed that, even if it sucks, a job gives meaning, purpose and structure to our everyday lives – at any rate, we’re pretty sure that it gets us out of bed, pays the bills, makes us feel responsible, and keeps us away from daytime TV.

These beliefs are no longer plausible. In fact, they’ve become ridiculous, because there’s not enough work to go around, and what there is of it won’t pay the bills – unless of course you’ve landed a job as a drug dealer or a Wall Street banker, becoming a gangster either way.
Here's a mild rebuke of this utter nonsense: http://tomwoods.com/ep-934-time-for-peo ... out-a-job/

A Rutgers professor suggests it’s time we dropped our emphasis on jobs and work — many jobs are highly undesirable, and with automation the number of jobs is going to fall substantially anyway. And what’s so great about work? Think of the creativity that would emerge if we didn’t have to do them.

Peter Klein and I go through his article and respond.