Just leave it unlocked m8

TheReal_ND

Re: Let's Riff on the next Tech/Social Revolution

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:27 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
TheReal_ND wrote:100+

Evening

You what? The hottest I've ever seen it get at night is 90
Southwest Florida, right across from Miami. It's a fucking oven dude.
Well fuck that noise

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:28 pm

Ph64 wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Mercury wrote:
Break the window.
Call the car security company (I forget the name)
So I need to call someone to get into my own car, when the "key"(fob) is in my hand - not like losing your keys, locking yourself out of your house... Nope "key" in hand but you're still locked out. "Progress"?
I'm on your side, to a point. But progress and tech are not the enemy - it's idiotic corporate thinking that makes things like this happen. Shortsighted policies without proper thought behind them.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:33 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote: As a veteran of Florida '04, I can speak to the essential need for a generator after a hurricane. I'm sure it wasn't bad up there in NYC, but that summer had many evenings of sweat-soaked 100+ degree evenings.

Using it to watch tv is pretty stupid, but whatever.
Pray we never get another Carrington Event, or an EMP from NK or someone. A lot of the south is going to wish we didn't "progress" away from architecture with tall ceilings, landscaping shade trees around houses, etc (older ways to keep a house say 20 degrees cooler than outside when modern A/C tech ("progress") didn't exist).

Easier to heat than cool, I mostly heat with a woodstove in NE winters, keep the thermostat turned down to 58, and wear a sweatshirt/sweater.

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:39 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:Just leave it unlocked m8
Sorry, but another new "feature", if you walk away from the car for some period of time - keyfob out of range - a lot of new cars automatically lock themselves. :think:

"The car knows better than you when it needs to be locked."

I do agree with GCF though, its not necessarily progress or the technology itself, its more the application of said technology in poorly thought out ways. Or just tossing more tech in because "isn't it cool?", with no real need/benefit.
Last edited by Ph64 on Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:41 pm

lol and now I know why they call them fobs

brewster

Post by brewster » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:57 pm

Ph64 wrote: Easier to heat than cool, I mostly heat with a woodstove in NE winters, keep the thermostat turned down to 58, and wear a sweatshirt/sweater.
You're the exception, most "modern" heating systems need electricity. People were chilly after Sandy, it was November! Lucky thing was I have ventless heater in the basement that needs no juice, so with that running the whole house was reasonably warm. I ran a generator every few hours to keep the cold cold and the hot hot. Fortunately we were only down for like 26 hours. Our neighbors in Hoboken were fucked.

Notes for the next apocalypse: Most new cars have siphon guards and are impossible to siphon gas from, and have no tank drain. You can have 20 gal of fuel in the driveway and no way to get it into the generator.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:00 pm

Dropping a gas tank to get to the pump is hard on trucks unless you have a few buddies to just lift the bed off and get to it from the top.

Most cars the pump is under the rear seat. Pretty easy to get to it and pull the pump out. If it's older the water evap from the ethanol has probably corroded the little bolts and they will snap so careful. I actually had to drill one out on a full tank. 100% scary heh

brewster

Post by brewster » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:07 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:Dropping a gas tank to get to the pump is hard on trucks unless you have a few buddies to just lift the bed off and get to it from the top.

Most cars the pump is under the rear seat. Pretty easy to get to it and pull the pump out. If it's older the water evap from the ethanol has probably corroded the little bolts and they will snap so careful. I actually had to drill one out on a full tank. 100% scary heh
I'm not a car guy, but the last time I dealt with a fuel tank it was an 87 Nissan and the pump was inside the tank. Couple of years ago I got a bad tank of E85 (E85 is rare around here) and needed to get it out. The morons at the garage were baffled. I told them to disconnect the fuel line, run it to a jug and power the pump. They were amazed! Worked, but still a huge PITA compared to just siphoning.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:20 pm

brewster wrote:
Ph64 wrote: Easier to heat than cool, I mostly heat with a woodstove in NE winters, keep the thermostat turned down to 58, and wear a sweatshirt/sweater.
You're the exception, most "modern" heating systems need electricity. People were chilly after Sandy, it was November! Lucky thing was I have ventless heater in the basement that needs no juice, so with that running the whole house was reasonably warm. I ran a generator every few hours to keep the cold cold and the hot hot. Fortunately we were only down for like 26 hours. Our neighbors in Hoboken were fucked.

Notes for the next apocalypse: Most new cars have siphon guards and are impossible to siphon gas from, and have no tank drain. You can have 20 gal of fuel in the driveway and no way to get it into the generator.
Yeah, most people are typically horribly prepared, thus the stores are thoroughly sold out of bread, milk, water, etc, the day before the storm.

I bought like 8 x 2.5gal "bottles" of water a week before, just in case, plus filled various containers I had around, and three 5-gal buckets in the bathtub that morning it was coming for flushing (or washing while it was clean). Plus I have a Berkey filter and purification tablets, I could take scummy pond water from down the street and make it drinkable if I needed to. And I make a habit of keeping at least a couple of good sized Tupperware containers of rice in the house, canned soups and veggies, etc - things with a good storage life and easily cookable on the woodstove if need be.

I read somewhere that the average US home would be out of food in a week or less if a large event happened that stopped grocery store deliveries for several weeks. I might not be eating a great diet, but I'd be eating for a few weeks at least.