An apology

Smitty-48

Re: An apology

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:50 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:48 am
Smitty-48 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:21 am

In terms of takeout, just eat it in the field, right in the car, toss the refuse on site
I'd be more inclined to take it home, toss the container and wash my hands before I started eating it. If you have alcohol hand sanitiser in the car you can avoid that step.
Again, there is no threat from eating it, it's only a threat if you inhale it or rub your eyes with it

It's more important to use eye drops so you don't habitually rub your eyes
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:56 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:49 am
Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:46 am
Smitty-48 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:35 am
Another drill is that I have field uniform and bivouac uniform

Field clothes stay in the field, get tossed straight into laundry, then I switch to my gangsta tracksuit in the house
That's good practise, I'm not planning to leave the farm again for a few weeks apart from maybe going to the pub for a couple of day's pay deep cleaning the kitchen.
I'm still going out to pick up supplies while we are not in a lockdown

I don't run my reserves down until I actually have to
My thinking is that the stores will be less crowded in a couple of weeks when people start taking it seriously because they are hearing about cases in their personal circles.
The stores will be more paranoid about sanitising everything by then too.
I'm more concerned with bringing the virus back to the farm than running out of food right now.
I've done my stocking up for now and can probably last a month on strict rations without resorting to eating the wildlife or local dog walkers.
Last edited by Montegriffo on Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:57 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:50 am
Montegriffo wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:21 am

In terms of takeout, just eat it in the field, right in the car, toss the refuse on site
I'd be more inclined to take it home, toss the container and wash my hands before I started eating it. If you have alcohol hand sanitiser in the car you can avoid that step.
Again, there is no threat from eating it, it's only a threat if you inhale it or rub your eyes with it

We're being told not to touch our mouths as well as our noses or eyes.
Washing your hands before smoking is probably a good idea too because of the hand to mouth thing.
That's what makes smoking in kitchens so taboo. It's not the smoke or the ash it's the hand to mouth contact.
Last edited by Montegriffo on Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:57 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:56 am
Smitty-48 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:49 am
Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:46 am

That's good practise, I'm not planning to leave the farm again for a few weeks apart from maybe going to the pub for a couple of day's pay deep cleaning the kitchen.
I'm still going out to pick up supplies while we are not in a lockdown

I don't run my reserves down until I actually have to
My thinking is that the stores will be less crowded in a couple of weeks when people start taking it seriously because they are hearing about cases in their personal circles.
The stores will be more paranoid about sanitising everything by then too.
I'm more concerned with bringing the virus back to the farm than running out of food right now.
I've done my stocking up for now and can probably last a month on strict rations without resorting to eat the wildlife or local dog walkers.
Out here in the boonies everything is calm now, down in Toronto they are freaking out
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:59 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:57 am
Smitty-48 wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:

You can still inhale it through your mouth, but you're not inhaling your food
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:05 am

You can wear a mask if you want, but really it's about gloves and eye drops and not contaminating your fortress

So like don't touch your door handles with your gloves

Have a decontamination site where you ditch your gloves, do the complete decam wash, then lock into the fort

And again, things like smoke packs with plastic wrap, ditch the plastic wrap as part of the decam
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:09 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:59 am
Montegriffo wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:

We're going around in circles now. I'm heeding the advice about picking up the virus on our hands and getting it into our systems through hand to face contact. I'm not sure that inhaling the virus is the only danger of infection.
Touching our faces is so unconscious that it will take weeks for us to train ourselves to stop doing it, if we ever can.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:11 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:09 am
Smitty-48 wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:

We're going around in circles now. I'm heeding the advice about picking up the virus on our hands and getting it into our systems through hand to face contact. I'm not sure that inhaling the virus is the only danger of infection.
Touching our faces is so unconscious that it will take weeks for us to train ourselves to stop doing it, if we ever can.
The most important thing for an infantryman in war is to convince yourself that you're already dead

Who lives, who dies, it's all random, quantum mechanics, you'll never see the one coming that gets you

As ever, our fate is in the hands of the Hockey Gods, it's all about puck luck
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:15 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:05 am
You can wear a mask if you want, but really it's about gloves and eye drops and not contaminating your fortress

So like don't touch your door handles with your gloves

Have a decontamination site where you ditch your gloves, do the complete decam wash, then lock into the fort

And again, things like smoke packs with plastic wrap, ditch the plastic wrap as part of the decam
That's good advice but it will be the one on your bottle of single malt which gets by your defences and infiltrates your fortress. The good thing is that viruses don't multiply like bacteria so if you have the patience to sterilise all your provisions before you bring them in or quarantine them for several days before you touch them again you should be safe.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:18 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:11 am
Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:09 am
Smitty-48 wrote:

The most important thing for an infantryman in war is to convince yourself that you're already dead

Who lives, who dies, it's all random, quantum mechanics, you'll never see the one coming that gets you

As ever, our fate is in the hands of the Hockey Gods, it's all about puck luck
You make your own luck. The harder you work the luckier you get.
Thank Gaia for plastic packaging. Your enemy during peacetime becomes your ally during times of war.