The New Normal

C-Mag

Re: The New Normal

Post by C-Mag » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:29 pm

Fife wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:56 pm
BTW, speaking of "selective service," who has an opinion about how Selective Service and the draft square with with the plain language of the 13th Amendment?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirteent ... nstitution

Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Does the draft implicate the 13th?
The man who started the Draft, Championed 13A :think:

Pretty sure the Federalis don't care about Slavery, they own 50% of my labor through taxes.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:45 pm

Flow Chart for easy processing
PLATA O PLOMO

Fife

Post by Fife » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:56 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:29 pm
Fife wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:56 pm
BTW, speaking of "selective service," who has an opinion about how Selective Service and the draft square with with the plain language of the 13th Amendment?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirteent ... nstitution

Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Does the draft implicate the 13th?
The man who started the Draft, Championed 13A :think:

Pretty sure the Federalis don't care about Slavery, they own 50% of my labor through taxes.
Well, yeah, taxes are a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

I'm talmbout -- for the purpose of this particular thought experiment -- just the plain language of the 13th A and the compulsory draft.

Does the plain English in the amendment, as to what "involuntary servitude" means, implicate the compulsory service demanded by the military draft?

Secondary thought experiment: If the founders in 1787 had designed the original constitution to outlaw slavery immediately upon ratification, would the language have been just the same as the 13th ended up using, or would it have likely been different?

For the purposes of this thought experiment, assume that all the states would have been OK with ratifying the original constitution with an immediate slavery ban for whatever reason.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:15 pm

I'm talmbout -- for the purpose of this particular thought experiment -- just the plain language of the 13th A and the compulsory draft.

Does the plain English in the amendment, as to what "involuntary servitude" means, implicate the compulsory service demanded by the military draft?
I guess one could argue that since you are being compensated, it's not Slavery ? but it sure as hell seems like involuntary :lol:

Ask ACB and Justice Pabst, I've been told they are strict Constitutionalists
PLATA O PLOMO

Fife

Post by Fife » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:24 pm

"Involuntary" servitude, not "uncompensated" servitude.

I don't reckon compensation comes into the four corners of the amendment at all.

Is the draft kosher, strictly speaking?

Is compulsory government service the "American Way" ??

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:30 pm

Fife wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:24 pm
"Involuntary" servitude, not "uncompensated" servitude.

I don't reckon compensation comes into the four corners of the amendment at all.

Is the draft kosher, strictly speaking?

Is compulsory government service the "American Way" ??
True.
Slaves got room and board.
They just didn't volunteer for that shit.
:lol:
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:40 pm

One might suppose the amendment was specifically written to prohibit a draft, or being press ganged into paid military service.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:50 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:40 pm
One might suppose the amendment was specifically written to prohibit a draft, or being press ganged into paid military service.

Butler v Perry 1916

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:46 pm

doc_loliday wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:50 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:40 pm

Butler v Perry 1916
Interesting case. Welp, guess they own our labor then.
The statute of Florida requiring every able-bodied man within it jurisdiction to work during each year for six ten-hour day on public road within the county of his residence, and imposing penalties for willful failure so to do, is not unconstitutional as contrary to the Thirteenth Amendment or to the due process provision of the Fourteenth Amendment.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

kybkh

Post by kybkh » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:46 pm

I really think they should leave the illusion of ownership. It’s super comfy to say a piece of earth belongs to you.
“I've got a phone that allows me to convene Americans from every walk of life, nonprofits, businesses, the private sector, universities to try to bring more and more Americans together around what I think is a unifying theme..." - Obama