New HH Episode forth coming!

SuburbanFarmer

Re: New HH Episode forth coming!

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:29 pm

Haven’t listened to MM before, I like it.

I’m struggling to get through vol. 2 of Archipelago though. There’s only so much commie horror I can take.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:46 pm

doc_loliday wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:45 am
C-Mag wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:43 am
Maybe Dan will do a show on the horrors of Communism :lol:
He would not do a show like this. Explicitly graphic and violent in the details. MM is leaps and bounds better than HH.
+1

Manwithnoname

Post by Manwithnoname » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:17 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:40 pm
HH - 67 Supernova in the East VI

The Good, Bad and Ugly

Good
1. Treatment of the horrible conditions the US was forced to fight under to destroy Japan, and the Jap Soldiers efforts
2. Explanation of the Japanese Kamikaze program
3. Good job contrasting the people we were 80 years ago

Bad
1. He will select letters from parents questioning the conduct of the war. These letters question military leaders, he never selects letters that question FDR.
2. Goes into detail talking about the use of incendiary weapons by the US and questions the morality. Doesn't question the morality of what Japan does, blames it on being a weird culture.
3. There is a tone of disrespect for the US military leadership throughout. Contrast that by listening to Ostfront. In the last 40 minutes of the final episode he characterizes the Soviet Officers attack Berlin as 'developing a highly complex and sophisticated plan.

Ugly
1. Selects Churchill as the Whipping boy for US using Nuclear Weapons.'' Quotes Churchill saying Nuclear Weapons may save 1 - 1.5 Million allied casualties. WTF. What about Truman who ordered the weapons use. How about FDR who authorized the entire fucking Manhattan Project. How about the scientists who knew what kind of weapon they were creating. Why Churchill, because he was the only Conervative ally leader ? Because we must defend the history of 'August FDR'?
2. Dan has said over and over again, the US really didn't fight WWII. While he does a great job detailing the tough island fighting the US does for 4 years, he never squares this obvious falsehood.
3. Robs the USA of their victory moment in closing the show with Einstein's warning about Nuclear Weapons. The story should have ended with the Japanese Empire standing aboard the USS Missouri and signing their surrender. In contrast He closes out talking about the fighting in Ostfront by quoting a Soviet general talking about their victory in Berlin. Then goes on to detail the cost of the Soviets and how many Soviet Soldiers were well behaved and the fed the Germans. He affords no such closing warm thoughts about the USA.
Did you listen to the ‘cast properly or just wait for gotcha moments?
Shit! All I heard was a balanced talk in how completely fucked the whole situation was; how the US was forced to enter total war because the madness that gripped Japan wouldn’t end unless they were beaten into a bloody pulp. How the average Japanese suffered because of propaganda, indoctrination and fear more of their own side than the enemy.
I swear some of you are like spurned school girls. Yeah I get it. Dan isn’t answering your calls. But fucking hell- he doesn’t hold back on anything.
And yes, if he ever did do a show on the communist experience I’d expect it to be as good or better than the martyr made pod.
Carlin delenda est

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:59 pm

Manwithnoname wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:17 pm

Shit! All I heard was a balanced talk in how completely fucked the whole situation was; how the US was forced to enter total war because the madness that gripped Japan wouldn’t end unless they were beaten into a bloody pulp. How the average Japanese suffered because of propaganda, indoctrination and fear more of their own side than the enemy.
I swear some of you are like spurned school girls. Yeah I get it. Dan isn’t answering your calls. But fucking hell- he doesn’t hold back on anything.
And yes, if he ever did do a show on the communist experience I’d expect it to be as good or better than the martyr made pod.
Yes, I listened to the entire show, then went back and listened to about a third of it again, to ensure before I criticized the man I was not mistaken. I've listened to the entire series. This series is better than some of his recent offerings. I spent time to pick out good things about the podcast. You seem to jump right past those, but any specifics of where you think my criticism is wrong.

Critical Review of work is how we get better. And I did this while DCF was still around, I didn't start this type of review after he shut the site down. My reviews of these shows have always been the same template.

Lay out your case. I've already done so, and am ready to debate you on the merits of my case.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Manwithnoname

Post by Manwithnoname » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:22 am

C-Mag wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:59 pm
Manwithnoname wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:17 pm

Yes, I listened to the entire show, then went back and listened to about a third of it again, to ensure before I criticized the man I was not mistaken. I've listened to the entire series. This series is better than some of his recent offerings. I spent time to pick out good things about the podcast. You seem to jump right past those, but any specifics of where you think my criticism is wrong.

Critical Review of work is how we get better. And I did this while DCF was still around, I didn't start this type of review after he shut the site down. My reviews of these shows have always been the same template.

Lay out your case. I've already done so, and am ready to debate you on the merits of my case.
I’m not sure what case I can lay out. I thought that it was fair and balanced. And actually required listening to any young buck that wants to hold the power the USA has.
I think that your criticism of the FDR points was unfair though. FDR was very late to the story and justifiably. It was essentially a military story until the end game. Sure he could have added 2 hours to it by talking about how certain decisions were made but it would have been superfluous. The only time it wasn’t was when FDR was already stuffed and mounted.
But I stand by my point that far too much of any critique of Carlin here goes way past content and way into butt hurt that he left us at the alter to chase a supermodel.
And don’t get me wrong- I felt the way he left Common Sense both wrong and lame, but I understood it. He had new masters to please. Is what it is. HH on the other hand has zero agenda (as far as I’ve seen) other than a history nerd who gets to inject the latest interesting thing he’s learned into a conversation
Carlin delenda est

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:38 am

Manwithnoname wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:22 am

But I stand by my point that far too much of any critique of Carlin here goes way past content and way into butt hurt that he left us at the alter to chase a supermodel.
You're standing by a point but can't provide any evidence on why you feel that way.

The only specific issue you talk about is FDR, "FDR was very late to the story and justifiably. It was essentially a military story". I could probably accept that, but then why reach out and bring in Churchill ? Don't you find that odd ?

You also say, "All I heard was a balanced talk". Well that's fine, but the history isn't balanced. We know what happened. Dan repeatedly said, the 'Japanese were like everyone else but more.' That softens the true story of the brutality of Imperial Japan, and is far too harsh on the USA. Less than 1% of POWs taken by the USA worldwide died in captivity, and we took millions, the Imperial Japanese killed 40%, and they killed them by brutal means. That's like saying walking across Siberia is just like walking across Rhode Island, only more so.

Further, and this wasn't part of the story, but it matters. Look at how the victors treated the defeated. We executed few of their leaders for war crimes, we left them their emperor, we left their culture in tact, AND, we used our wealth to rebuild them into a prosperous nation.

Explain how you think I'm acting as spurned, when I was doing these exact same reviews, in the exact same template, while there was a DCF and engaging Dan directly at that time ?
PLATA O PLOMO

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:39 am

Sounds like you’re looking for more of a ‘moral judgement’ in your telling of history. That’s not generally a desirable thing.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:53 am

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:39 am
Sounds like you’re looking for more of a ‘moral judgement’ in your telling of history. That’s not generally a desirable thing.
No, I want a telling of history that clearly shows the participants and what happened. I get that Dan is pretty much a pacifist that won't admit it, and he considers all war to be a fascinating but inhumane part of the human story, and that clearly comes across in both Ostfront and Supernova, at he is masterful at telling it. But the War in the Pacific is not a story that was balanced, the participants weren't balanced in their conduct of the war, their conduct to humans, and their conduct with the helpless.

I don't know about you, but I have a big problem with governments in war, who as a matter of SOP beat their prisoners, murder them, starve them, enslave them, work them to death. Call me a hard ass, but when you do that, you don't get a balanced story in the end.

Again, anytime, any of you that are criticizing my critic of HH want to lay out some specifics, please do. All I'm hearing right now is.......................... You're mean :cry:
PLATA O PLOMO

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:30 am

C-Mag wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:53 am
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:39 am
No, I want a telling of history that clearly shows the participants and what happened. I get that Dan is pretty much a pacifist that won't admit it, and he considers all war to be a fascinating but inhumane part of the human story, and that clearly comes across in both Ostfront and Supernova, at he is masterful at telling it. But the War in the Pacific is not a story that was balanced, the participants weren't balanced in their conduct of the war, their conduct to humans, and their conduct with the helpless.

I don't know about you, but I have a big problem with governments in war, who as a matter of SOP beat their prisoners, murder them, starve them, enslave them, work them to death. Call me a hard ass, but when you do that, you don't get a balanced story in the end.

Again, anytime, any of you that are criticizing my critic of HH want to lay out some specifics, please do. All I'm hearing right now is.......................... You're mean :cry:
We’re countering your main complaint - that Dan wasn’t mean enough to the Japanese.

I don’t listen to HH or any other history podcast for moral judgements. Just the facts and feeling of the times, as much as possible.

I can make my own moral judgements without his assistance.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:16 am

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:30 am
C-Mag wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:53 am

We’re countering your main complaint - that Dan wasn’t mean enough to the Japanese.

I don’t listen to HH or any other history podcast for moral judgements. Just the facts and feeling of the times, as much as possible.

:lol: I'm such a meany.

I listed out 9 specific items. 3 Pro and 6 Con. Pick one and challenge me on the specifics .
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:30 am
I can make my own moral judgements without his assistance.
And I can make my own. I am responding to content that DC put out. You are responding to content I put out. At least I am giving clear reasons for my content.
PLATA O PLOMO