George Floyd Trial.

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Re: George Floyd Trial.

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:22 am

StCapps wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:34 am
Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:All in all, though - wasn't even that tough to get a good partner and carve out a damn good life, with plenty of good earning years left.
good for you

at minimum 70% of millennials

have found it significantly tougher to do that

only around 30% of them are married

and of that 30%

about half will probably get divorced eventually

and of those who stay married

not all of them have a good marriage

or carved out a damn good life

your situation is fairly rare among our generation

hardly the norm and quite the exception
The definition of millennial is usually anyone born from 81-96. That means a good chunk of millennials aren't 30 yet, or in their early 30s.

Like I said - they'll find ways to make it work. There are just different hurdles, so some of the traditional life-accomplishment indicators are achieved later than in past generations.

I'm not unique, just in the older cohort of my generation. I remember the feeling of hopelessness around finding property or building equity for retirement - but if you can adapt, you can succeed. It is that simple.

Divorce rates are down for millennials, and I doubt that the problem of unhappy marriages is particular to our generation.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:26 am

StCapps wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:17 am
the most spoiled generation ever

thinks it's the worst it's ever been

as soon as they show up

the most self centered yet least self aware generation

topped off with a messiah complex and victim mentality on steroids

thanks internet
the lack of girlfriends is the most toxic thing

if it weren't for female companionship, I would have turned into a monster
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:28 am

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:22 am
StCapps wrote:
Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:All in all, though - wasn't even that tough to get a good partner and carve out a damn good life, with plenty of good earning years left.
good for you

and of that 30%

The definition of millennial is usually anyone born from 81-96. That means a good chunk of millennials aren't 30 yet, or in their early 30s.

Like I said - they'll find ways to make it work. There are just different hurdles, so some of the traditional life-accomplishment indicators are achieved later than in past generations.

I'm not unique, just in the older cohort of my generation. I remember the feeling of hopelessness around finding property or building equity for retirement - but if you can adapt, you can succeed. It is that simple.

Divorce rates are down for millennials, and I doubt that the problem of unhappy marriages is particular to our generation.
never said you were unique

I said your situation is not the norm

even among the older cohort of millenials

some of them will find ways to make it work

but a higher percentage of millenials won't make it work than previous generations

despite having it way better than previous generations

self sabotage is a helluva drug, and it's a favorite of millenials
Last edited by StCapps on Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:30 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:59 am
Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:06 am
A lot of the standard paths to success available to our parents - or even older gen-x cousins and siblings - weren't available. A lot of the assumptions about education and career needed to be abandoned. The boomer path of leaving college without crippling debt, and moving into a job right away where you stayed until you retired? Not really an option.
Millennials take the upper middle class of the mid 1960's and make that the entire Boomer paradigm

it's not only a myth, that wasn't even Boomers, Boomers were mostly teenagers at the time

in the 1970's when Boomers were mostly adults, it was hard times, harder than it is now

my father had a decent job, and still I grew up in dingy cockroach infested basement apartments

my father couldn't afford to buy a house in the city, and that was with a white collar management job

this is the land of milk honey now, Millennials have no perspective as to what it was really like in the 70's maan

it's the same as the blacks now trying to claim they are still oppressed by Jim Crow, everything is Snowflake now

all your perceptions have been warped by the internet

in terms of being Gen X, we had it worse than the Millennials

we had the same barriers, but we were a lost generation, so nobody paid any attention to our issues whatsoever

at the time I never thought I would own a home, never even crossed my mind, that was not even an option

I was a high school crop out, and mortgage rates were 18%
The fact that we were wrong about the upper middle-class dream doesn't mean that wasn't the dream that was sold. I'm just saying it took a minute to figure that out and find a different way to succeed.

The 70s were tough. Stagflation and all that. The solutions to the toughness of the 70s got us to where we are today, and require millennials to have a little more verve and creativity to succeed.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:31 am

StCapps wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:17 am
Smitty-48 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:59 am
Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:06 am
A lot of the standard paths to success available to our parents - or even older gen-x cousins and siblings - weren't available. A lot of the assumptions about education and career needed to be abandoned. The boomer path of leaving college without crippling debt, and moving into a job right away where you stayed until you retired? Not really an option.
Millennials take the upper middle class of the mid 1960's and make that the entire Boomer paradigm

it's not only a myth, that wasn't even Boomers, Boomers were mostly teenagers at the time

in the 1970's when Boomers were mostly adults, it was hard times, harder than it is now

my father had a decent job, and still I grew up in dingy cockroach infested basement apartments

my father couldn't afford to buy a house in the city, and that was with a white collar management job

this is the land of milk honey now, Millennials have no perspective as to what it was really like in the 70's maan

it's the same as the blacks now trying to claim they are still oppressed by Jim Crow, everything is Snowflake now

all your perceptions have been warped by the internet

in terms of being Gen X, we had it worse than the Millennials

we had the same barriers, but we were a lost generation, so nobody paid any attention to our issues whatsoever

at the time I never thought I would own a home, never even crossed my mind, that was not even an option

I was a high school crop out, and mortgage rates were 18%
the most spoiled generation ever

thinks it's the worst it's ever been

as soon as they show up

the most self centered yet least self aware generation

topped off with a messiah complex and victim mentality on steroids

thanks internet
I am arguing that it is just as good as it as ever been. Just a little different in unexpected ways.
HAIL!

-Hwen

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:34 am

StCapps wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:28 am
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:22 am
StCapps wrote:
good for you

and of that 30%

never said you were unique

I said your situation is not the norm

even among the older cohort of millenials

some of them will find ways to make it work

but a higher percentage of millenials won't make it work than previous generations

despite having it way better than previous generations

self sabotage is a helluva drug, and it's a favorite of millenials
Believe what you like. If you want to live in a delusion of self-defeat and project that onto our whole generation, then you will certainly fail.

Good luck.
HAIL!

-Hwen

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:39 am

Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:30 am
The fact that we were wrong about the upper middle-class dream doesn't mean that wasn't the dream that was sold. I'm just saying it took a minute to figure that out and find a different way to succeed.
I am living the upper middle class dream now, this is the land of milk & honey now

but back in the 80's, I wouldn't even have dreamed of this, it would have been too unrealistic
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:44 am

maybe our advantage was that we didn't dream of this

we didn't look that far into the future

we just focused on two things, pay your bills somehow, and get yourself a beautiful girlfriend

just living in the now without the internet to distract us, that was the advantage perhaps
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:46 am

Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:34 am
Believe what you like. If you want to live in a delusion of self-defeat and project that onto our whole generation, then you will certainly fail.

Good luck.
you're the one projecting your situation on the whole generation and excusing any failures as the result of their victimhood or being younger than you

I have no such delusion that all millenials are like me, in some ways I am like the stereotypical millenial, in other ways I am very much nothing like them at all

nor do I have a delusion that I need to white knight for millenials if someone attacks them for justified reasons, just because I am a millenial too

I ain't blaming anyone other than myself for my failures in life

I look in the mirror from time to time

most millenials never do and instead point fingers at everything and everyone other than themselves

you are doing just that in a lame attempt to defend a generation that is clearly fucked up
Last edited by StCapps on Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:46 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:39 am
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:30 am
I am living the upper middle class dream now, this is the land of milk & honey now

but back in the 80's, I wouldn't even have dreamed of this, it would have been too unrealistic
The upper middle class dream is still very achievable. That is my whole point.

To be clear, I am not saying there weren't hurdles and difficulties for boomers and gen-x. Just different hurdles. Millennials are just figuring out what their specific challenges are going to be, and how to overcome them.
HAIL!

-Hwen