Bought my first house

DBTrek

Re: Bought my first house

Post by DBTrek » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:08 pm

Why does Dead Hand have to be networked to be turned on?

It could run on a closed system, manually switched on.
Given the 1970s-1980s technology it allegedly was built upon, this would seem to me to be more likely.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:22 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:08 pm

Given the 1970s-1980s technology it allegedly was built upon, this would seem to me to be more likely.
it all relies on a modified UR-100 ICBM called 15P011

it receives commands by radio, launches itself into orbit, then sends radio signals back down to launch the rest of the ICBMs

so you hack the missile, tell it to turn itself off, while indicating outwardly that is on

it's not a closed system if it sending & receiving by RF

it's computerized, and not likely to be analogue even if 1980's tech, it's no doubt digital

you said any computer can be hacked, why not this one ?

it actually sounds like the most hackable nuclear missile of them all

no American ICBM sends nor receives by RF, they operate without comms, they use astronavigation to guide them
Nec Aspera Terrent

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:58 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:22 pm
DBTrek wrote:

it receives commands by radio, launches itself into orbit, then sends radio signals back down to launch the rest of the ICBMs

so you hack the missile, tell it to turn itself off, while indicating outwardly that is on

it's computerized, and not likely to be analogue even if 1980's tech, it's no doubt digital

no American ICBM sends nor receives by RF, they operate without comms, they use astronavigation to guide them
I was under the impression Dead Hand was on a closed circuit (not network) and the retaliatory missiles were pre-programmed with their coordinates. Also, supposedly, the circuit includes sensors that can detect radioactive levels in the atmosphere and launch whether or not the arming switch was thrown.

So - not a modern computer network, but a 1980s style, largely analog system with minimal digital components.
Then again, as far as I know Dead Hand has never been proven to actually exist at all, so arguing the various theoretics can be difficult.

If it is a modern, digital system - then sure, it can be hacked.
If it's operating off switches and circuits, then it can still be hacked, but only by guys wielding soldering irons and electrical engineering know-how.

If it's operating off RF then presumably HAM Radio operators could hack it.

I prefer to think it's propaganda tho, like most Cold War Soviet "technology" and capabilities.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:05 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:58 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
DBTrek wrote:

I was under the impression Dead Hand was on a closed circuit (not network) and the retaliatory missiles were pre-programmed with their coordinates. Also, supposedly, the circuit includes sensors that can detect radioactive levels in the atmosphere and launch whether or not the arming switch was thrown.

So - not a modern computer network, but a 1980s style, largely analog system with minimal digital components.
Then again, as far as I know Dead Hand has never been proven to actually exist at all, so arguing the various theoretics can be difficult.

If it's operating off switches and circuits, then it can still be hacked, but only by guys wielding soldering irons and electrical engineering know-how.

I prefer to think it's propaganda tho, like most Cold War Soviet "technology" and capabilities.
Indeed, I don't actually believe it exists

there is no reason to keep it secret, if it was real then they would show it off

the fact that they never show it makes me think it's not there

I think they actually have no early warning at all and are in fact sitting ducks

the Pentagon knows Dead Hand is fake news

the never seen Rube Goldberg Device which has never been nor ever could be tested

I firmly believe that America could nuke Russia and the Russians wouldn't see it coming at all

an American first strike much more viable than surmised
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:15 pm

this is why the military is fielding counterforce weapons like W76-2

one, they don't believe in MAD, they never have, the Pentagon has never accepted Mutual Vulnerability

two, they know the Russians are sitting ducks and America could indeed strike first and win

they cannot state this publicly for political reasons

but the force they are building is designed to fight and win a nuclear war regardless
Nec Aspera Terrent

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:09 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:05 pm
DBTrek wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:58 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:

Indeed, I don't actually believe it exists

there is no reason to keep it secret, if it was real then they would show it off

the fact that they never show it makes me think it's not there

I think they actually have no early warning at all and are in fact sitting ducks...

... an American first strike much more viable than surmised
I agree.
But would add - just because the Russians couldn't strike back doesn't mean the rest of the nuclear armed world wouldn't panic and hit us anyway.
:lol:

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:22 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:09 pm

I agree.
But would add - just because the Russians couldn't strike back doesn't mean the rest of the nuclear armed world wouldn't panic and hit us anyway.
:lol:
well there are constraints

but I doubt the rest of nuclear armed world would be picking a fight with an America that just wiped the Russians off the map

certainly America would be condemned by the rest of the world as war mongering mass murdering terrorists

so no change there, basically the same as every day ... minus the Russians
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:34 pm

bottom line tho

I firmly believe the Russians are operating with no effective early warning at all

and there is no fabulous Dead Hand tech behind that neither

they do what they can do, which is build lots of nukes and missiles

then they just rely on nobody ever wanting to risk jarring that happy fun ball to find out what happens when you do
Nec Aspera Terrent

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:43 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:34 pm
bottom line tho

I firmly believe the Russians are operating with no effective early warning at all

and there is no fabulous Dead Hand tech behind that neither

they do what they can do, which is build lots of nukes and missiles

then they just rely on nobody ever wanting to risk jarring that happy fun ball to find out what happens when you do
Is the premise that the U.S. is going to deploy missiles in Belarus and Russia won't let that happen? Or is the idea just to make Russia the bogeyman so more authoritarian control passes to wamen?
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:51 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:43 pm
Is the premise that the U.S. is going to deploy missiles in Belarus and Russia won't let that happen? Or is the idea just to make Russia the bogeyman so more authoritarian control passes to wamen?
Russia's main adversary is not even America, the Russians are actually most concerned with deterring the Chinese

China & Russia have a frozen conflict border dispute dating all the way back to when the Czar stole Siberia from China

in terms of Belarus, the fear there is Western backed Orange Revolutions overthrowing the dictator from the streets

Putin fears this coming for him in Moscow

so the reason to go into Belarus would be to make sure everybody knows Putin is not going down easy

if you try the Orange Revolution route, that will be war, potentially nuclear, so BTFO, would be the assertion inherent there
Nec Aspera Terrent