Just got to vent.

The Conservative

Just got to vent.

Post by The Conservative » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:23 am

When people say "I blame my parents for 'x'." It is normally for something that is mundane and not something that is real... is it an excuse for a person's failing... In my case, my parents are fucking idiots.

My mother is cleaning out the house so she can sell it, and she showed me the legal documents of the lawsuit on my behalf when I was a baby. and said, "You can see what your father and I went through." (Doctor Malpractice). I read the transcripts, and all of the legal back and forth between the lawers with negotiations, etc.

My parents agreed to a "lump sum" agreement so it wouldn't have gone to court, in where the lawyer would take 1/3 (he took more btw). The Lump sum was 400k. Sounds good, right?

Well, my parents were offered an option of me getting until the age of retirement $1460 a month (5% increase yearly) and $20k a year for education. (8% increase a year from high school and above)

That would have come out to be over $1.6 Million...

I could have had a free ride for education, I could have had enough money saved up to buy a house outright, and I could have made enough to make a nest egg that would have survived through all this bullshit... and I would have had any money I made now squirreled away to have a very healthy nest egg for retirement.

I don't know what was going through my parent's minds, or who they took the extremely bad advice from, but once I read this, I lost almost all respect for my parents, because what they took, was not for my best interest.

All this "suffering" I have been through my life, the days and weeks and months and even years without employment because of whatever reason... I could have been living in a house with my family and not suffering this bullshit of paycheck to paycheck for a good portion of my life.

Yes I am doing better now, but my life could have turned out entirely different than what it has been, and I am sort of sour over it. I know there is nothing I could do to change it, but I feel like ripping my mother telling her she should not feel proud for what she did, because they both screwed up...
#NotOneRedCent

Xenophon

Re: Just got to vent.

Post by Xenophon » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:28 am

The Conservative wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:23 am
When people say "I blame my parents for 'x'." It is normally for something that is mundane and not something that is real... is it an excuse for a person's failing... In my case, my parents are fucking idiots.

My mother is cleaning out the house so she can sell it, and she showed me the legal documents of the lawsuit on my behalf when I was a baby. and said, "You can see what your father and I went through." (Doctor Malpractice). I read the transcripts, and all of the legal back and forth between the lawers with negotiations, etc.

My parents agreed to a "lump sum" agreement so it wouldn't have gone to court, in where the lawyer would take 1/3 (he took more btw). The Lump sum was 400k. Sounds good, right?

Well, my parents were offered an option of me getting until the age of retirement $1460 a month (5% increase yearly) and $20k a year for education. (8% increase a year from high school and above)

I could have had a free ride for education, I could have had enough money saved up to buy a house outright, and I could have made enough to make a nest egg that would have survived through all this bullshit... and I would have had any money I made now squirreled away to have a very healthy nest egg for retirement.

I don't know what was going through my parent's minds, or who they took the extremely bad advice from, but once I read this, I lost almost all respect for my parents, because what they took, was not for my best interest.

All this "suffering" I have been through my life, the days and weeks and months and even years without employment because of whatever reason... I could have been living in a house with my family and not suffering this bullshit of paycheck to paycheck for a good portion of my life.

Yes I am doing better now, but my life could have turned out entirely different than what it has been, and I am sort of sour over it. I know there is nothing I could do to change it, but I feel like ripping my mother telling her she should not feel proud for what she did, because they both screwed up...
Forgive your parents. Understand that your struggles have tempered your ability to deal with the harshness of life. You are stronger now because of what you have gone through.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:29 am

Xenophon wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:28 am
The Conservative wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:23 am

Forgive your parents. Understand that your struggles have tempered your ability to deal with the harshness of life. You are stronger now because of what you have gone through.
I am stronger, but even a rock cracks sometimes.
#NotOneRedCent

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:09 am

Boomer parents SOP. All about them.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:49 am

Hastur wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:09 am
Boomer parents SOP. All about them.
Yup, it's just infuriating to me how happy my mother was showing me the documents and saying what she did.

When in reality they literally screwed up my life by not accepting the long term payout for short term gain.

I could have been someone entirely different if they accepted the monthly payments, and for all intended purposes a free education.

Who knows, but it's the past, and I can't change it... But I think I have a right to vent a little.
#NotOneRedCent

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:51 am

That monthly payout may have been contingent on the lifetime of the doctor himself, or some other factor that would have ended it much sooner. Plus, without knowing the circumstances, they may have seen the possibility that you wouldn't make it beyond (whatever age that works out to break even).

There are possible reasons to make that decision. Don't judge them too harshly, without all of the facts.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:45 am

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:51 am
That monthly payout may have been contingent on the lifetime of the doctor himself, or some other factor that would have ended it much sooner. Plus, without knowing the circumstances, they may have seen the possibility that you wouldn't make it beyond (whatever age that works out to break even).

There are possible reasons to make that decision. Don't judge them too harshly, without all of the facts.
Nope, it was my life. They had it until 2036 when I would have ”retired” I've read the do documentation pretty thoroughly.
#NotOneRedCent