Re: SARS Pt. 2 - Wuhan Boogaloo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:53 am

Hastur wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:41 am
Montegriffo wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:30 am
C-Mag wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:11 am

I had not even heard of that battle. Did some quick reading. WOW.
I glanced over a couple articles, didn't read anything about crated rifles.
I've read about it in detail and it wasn't the rifles that were crated up it was the ammo. They got overrun by a much bigger force of warriors armed only with spears because they underestimated their enemy and couldn't get the ammo crates opened up quickly enough to resupply themselves. They'd stopped for the day but hadn't defended their position properly out of arrogance and incompetence and were rushed and massacred.
Rourke's Drift was the next day where they were in a much better defensive position but almost out of ammo by the time the Zulu's withdrew.
The film over exaggerated the number of Zulu deaths and didn't mention the fact that the Zulu commander had disobeyed instructions not to attack
which was why he withdrew when he did. The last charge at dawn in the film was pure fiction, they left during the night after losing about 400 men.
I thought it was a lack of screwdrivers.
The British defeat , whilst overconfidence, lack of reconnaissance screen and poor tactics played a major part was down to the lack of screwdrivers.

Just to correct some of the misguided comments already posted. The column was not on the march and was not ambushed. The main force was in a temporary encampment on the slopes of the mountain with a commanding view towards the direction of the perceived threat. The commanders decided for unknown reasons not to laager the wagons or order defence works to be set up.

It has been suggested that the British Henry Martini Boxer rifle could not be loaded fast enough - Tosh! The breach loading Boxer could fire as fast as a soldier could load it with ammunition and that was the unfortunate problem.

In 1879 the British Army Logistic train was run by the Commissariat, who had their own rules and orders:

Rule 1 All munitions were to remain packed and only conditioned and issued for use immediately prior to engagement to ensure its preservation and accountability :-

The ammunition has been packed to preserve it on the long sea voyage from the UK in solid wooden cases containing a soldered metal liner, lined with lead foil, and the rounds wrapped in waxed linen cross-tied with wire in 10’s.

This is the original drawing of a standard Ammo box. Note the steel screws securing the opening section. These had to be removed before the section would slide out.

Once exposed, the soldered seal to the tin plate liner had to be pried off….. with a bayonet or pick axe. ( The soldered handles would pull off ) This was the standard ammo box and held 1260 rounds.

10 rounds wrapped in Waxed and sealed linen and cross tied with steel wire. These could only be opened with pliers or a bayonet.

The Soldiers in the column were only issued with their first line ammo, 70 rounds each. British deliberate fire was 10 to 12 rounds a minute, rapid was 30 rounds a minute, so each 100 man company needed the entire content of one ammo box, every minute. The subsequent inquiry learnt that no ammo boxes were pre-opened until at least one company had expended all their ammo. Then came the biggest problem, they did not have enough screwdrivers to remove the screws, rumour spread that there was only one in fact. The steel banded, dovetail joined boxes were too solid to smash open, even with pick axes.

Companies with no ammo were obliged to fight with bayonets against the numerically stronger Zulus who managed to flank the firing line and start to roll up the companies.

The Zulus captured 400,000 rounds of ammo in unopened boxes which gives some idea of the total failure of the logistics supply staff.

I used the battle of Isandlwana to highlight the importance of resupply planning, preparation and delivery to junior officers and my men. To lose what on paper should have been an overwhelming victory of superior ranged firepower because of the lack of a basic tool is probable the greatest avoidable disgrace to the British Army.
https://www.quora.com/Was-the-defeat-of ... heir-lines
Yeah you're right it was screwdrivers. It was a while ago that I read about it.
Failure to get the ammo to the men. I think the halt had been made at a poorly chosen place too. The Zulus were able to approach in large numbers without being seen until too late using either low hills or gullies, I can't remember which.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:55 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:51 am
StCapps wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:50 am
Smitty-48 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:45 am

exactly, all look & touch for me, all in the mind for the lady

much as all the graceless sex i have had was empty calories, it was a lot of practice

so i am pretty fucking good in bed, by now
Smitty's Da wrote:Son, for chicks, it's all in the mind, get them thinking about it, get them talking about it, make them say it all out loud, and they will cum all over you, again and again, got that ?
Putty Consigliere FTW,

Add in a lot of practice and a sacred woman, Castle Bravo Time
nope, not thinking about it quite yet, don't anticipate contact

chicks should be in their heads for sex, guys should be the opposite, at least until you are rolling
I feel you, just sayin'

Did Dorothy Gale's face light up like a christmas tree when you dumped that mountain of shoes on her?

How was the fashion show?

Did it have a dope soundtrack?
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:00 am

StCapps wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:55 am
Smitty-48 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:51 am
StCapps wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:50 am

Putty Consigliere FTW,

Add in a lot of practice and a sacred woman, Castle Bravo Time
nope, not thinking about it quite yet, don't anticipate contact

chicks should be in their heads for sex, guys should be the opposite, at least until you are rolling
I feel you, just sayin'

Did Dorothy Gale's face light up like a christmas tree when you dumped that mountain of shoes on her?

How was the fashion show?

Did it have a dope soundtrack?
just sayin', fantasize when you don't have a chick, when you have one, just do, spontaneous

face lit up like a little shoe junky, but she was getting tired from workout, so fashion show delayed

soundtrack was dope, lots of rap music & hip shaking,

plus even some romantic slow dancing for the old man
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:02 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:00 am
just sayin', fantasize when you don't have a chick, when you have one, just do, spontaneous
As usual, Protip City Good Ol' Smitty
Smitty-48 wrote:
face lit up like a little shoe junky, but she was getting tired from workout, so fashion show delayed

Good shit, when you do get that fashion show, give me the deets
*bites lip*

White Girl Cute Feet Shoe Junky FTW
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:07 am

StCapps wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:02 am
Smitty-48 wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:

*bites lip*

i don't even want to tell you how cute her feet are, because you will gnaw your arm off
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:08 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:07 am
StCapps wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:02 am
Smitty-48 wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:

*bites lip*

i don't even want to tell you how cute her feet are, because you will gnaw your arm off
Fuck it, tell me anyway, I'll make do with one arm
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:10 am

StCapps wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:08 am
tiny and fucking perfect in my opinion,

teenage girl feet, corporate boss lady pedicure & nails did
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:11 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:10 am
StCapps wrote:

Well, there goes a couple of fingers and a knuckle
*gnaws*

Pretty sure Nukedog is chewing on prosthetics at this point
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:17 am

StCapps wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:11 am
Smitty-48 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:10 am
StCapps wrote:

Well, there goes a couple of fingers and a knuckle
*gnaws*

Pretty sure Nukedog is chewing on prosthetics at this point
i love her taste in nail polish, it's never gauche, always classy, like right now it is clear with pearl tips

nubile, she's got the feet of a thirteen year old girl

fuck, i'm gonna gnaw my own arm off now
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:19 am

i mean, she's dorothy gale, the tiny feet, in the slippers, no place like home 9000

Nec Aspera Terrent