Smitty-48

Re: SARS Pt. 2 - Wuhan Boogaloo

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:55 am

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:53 am
Smitty-48 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:13 am
She's even better at grilling than I am now

I just admit it, she makes a better steak than I do, made to order, perfect every time

How is your steak ?

Perfect

Are you sure ?

Yes I am
Dude.
It's tru

At first she couldn't grill a steak to save her life, but then she took it on as a challenge

She's not a corporate boss lady for no reason, this girl is dedicated when she puts her mind to something
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:56 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:48 am
StCapps wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:43 am
Smitty-48 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:39 am

The Last of Us was better than most movies, the only vidya game that I ever got choked up from playing
Never played it, but I hear really good things
Seriously, I cried at the end
Never had a video game make me cry before either

Must have a great story
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:57 am

StCapps wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:56 am
Smitty-48 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:48 am
StCapps wrote:
Never played it, but I hear really good things
Seriously, I cried at the end
Never had a video game make me cry before either

Must have a great story
Hooked me in

The characters are epic

By the end, you are completely in love with them
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:01 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:50 am
Montegriffo wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:21 am
Fun fact; the huge line ups around here are now basically to get bread

House Arrest & Bread Lines

Soviet Canada for realz

Luckily Mrs Smitty makes her own bread now
I can't get hold of bread flour for love nor money.
The pub I worked at has a bakery in one of its outbuildings so I phoned my old boss to ask if he could get hold of a sack of granary flour for me.
Turns out they are struggling to get flour themselves so he looked for bread flour for me when he was at cash and carry and they had no flour of any description.
I don't really get it, all our flour mills are running at full capacity and as far as I know we are not running out of wheat.
The only possible explanation is that people are hoarding it, buying far more than they need and storing it up without a care for all those now having to go without.
We have tons (literally) of wheat here at the farm and a grinder to make it into a course wholemeal flour which we sieve to make it finer but it is low in gluten so not good for bread.
I'm going to have to resort to making flatbreads with it like some Indian peasant thanks to a bunch of selfish fucks.
In good news, I was able to buy toilet paper today so I guess people have finally got enough of it hoarded now to make them feel secure at last.
Hopefully, the same thing will happen with flour eventually and all the mugs who bought just enough because they didn't want to deprive others will be able to get it again.
My faith in human nature is being sorely tested by all this selfish hoarding.
The worst thing is that refuse sites are reporting a big increase in food being thrown away, people have bought so much that they can't even eat it before it goes off.
The UK seems to be taking a pounding here, didn't Turkey just send relief supplies to ya'll ?
I don't know about that but the German army has just given us 60 portable ventilators.
I've not been to a supermarket for 3 weeks now but from the accounts I hear they are still struggling to provide basic products and the queues to get into them are long.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:10 am

980 people died from the bug in the last 24hrs. That's a higher single-day total than either Italy or Spain achieved and they appear to be over the peak now.
This is without even running out of intensive care beds or ventilators yet.
The 980 is only those who have died in a hospital too, those who die in care homes or in the community are not counted in our daily totals.
People are still going out to enjoy the sunshine though. The police are stopping people in campers, towing caravans or with canoes on their roof-racks and sending them home.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:11 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:01 am
Smitty-48 wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:

I can't get hold of bread flour for love nor money.
The pub I worked at has a bakery in one of its outbuildings so I phoned my old boss to ask if he could get hold of a sack of granary flour for me.
Turns out they are struggling to get flour themselves so he looked for bread flour for me when he was at cash and carry and they had no flour of any description.
I don't really get it, all our flour mills are running at full capacity and as far as I know we are not running out of wheat.
The only possible explanation is that people are hoarding it, buying far more than they need and storing it up without a care for all those now having to go without.
We have tons (literally) of wheat here at the farm and a grinder to make it into a course wholemeal flour which we sieve to make it finer but it is low in gluten so not good for bread.
I'm going to have to resort to making flatbreads with it like some Indian peasant thanks to a bunch of selfish fucks.
In good news, I was able to buy toilet paper today so I guess people have finally got enough of it hoarded now to make them feel secure at last.
Hopefully, the same thing will happen with flour eventually and all the mugs who bought just enough because they didn't want to deprive others will be able to get it again.
My faith in human nature is being sorely tested by all this selfish hoarding.
The worst thing is that refuse sites are reporting a big increase in food being thrown away, people have bought so much that they can't even eat it before it goes off.
The UK seems to be taking a pounding here, didn't Turkey just send relief supplies to ya'll ?
I don't know about that but the German army has just given us 60 portable ventilators.
I've not been to a supermarket for 3 weeks now but from the accounts I hear they are still struggling to provide basic products and the queues to get into them are long.
It almost seems like it was a good idea prior to this for us to have gone out and purchased a month or more of food and just stuffed our freezers and pantries full of shit we knew would run out.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:33 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:11 am
Montegriffo wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:

It almost seems like it was a good idea prior to this for us to have gone out and purchased a month or more of food and just stuffed our freezers and pantries full of shit we knew would run out.
Maybe, but unless you have enough food to last you a year or more you are still going to have to re-stock and the selfish behaviour of others is still going to affect you.
Home deliveries are almost impossible to get, the capacity to do it is still massively inadequate.
So the chances are you are still going to have to risk infection by going out to restock and you won't even be able to buy what you want.
A diet of only rice is not going to be any good for your ''gains''.
Without fresh food you are going to struggle to get the vitamins you need for a healthy body.
Meanwhile, perfectly good food is rotting because people have bought too much and if you think you can just buy another freezer think again. They have all run out too.
At this point, I would be happy to have government-enforced rationing so that everyone gets a fair share rather than the first come first served system we seem to have right now.
The poor saps who are essential workers such as nurses and doctors aren't getting a look in. They don't have half a day spare to spend queuing to get into a supermarket.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:36 am

People round here aren't being selfish,

and even if they want to be there are caps on everything in terms of how much to a customer

they just have these distancing rules with a maximum number of people allowed in the store

So then it lines up around the block before Easter Weekend

Normally my wife doesn't mind lining up that much, but now she is afraid of the radioactive zombies

She starts to have a panic attack about crowds now, which she was somewhat spooked by beforehand

So stocking up is more about not having to line up because you've got a significant logistics tail of your own
Nec Aspera Terrent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:37 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:33 am
Montegriffo wrote:

Maybe, but unless you have enough food to last you a year or more you are still going to have to re-stock and the selfish behaviour of others is still going to affect you.
Home deliveries are almost impossible to get, the capacity to do it is still massively inadequate.
So the chances are you are still going to have to risk infection by going out to restock and you won't even be able to buy what you want.
Without fresh food you are going to struggle to get the vitamins you need for a healthy body.
Meanwhile, perfectly good food is rotting because people have bought too much and if you think you can just buy another freezer think again. They have all run out too.
At this point, I would be happy to have government-enforced rationing so that everyone gets a fair share rather than the first come first served system we seem to have right now.
The poor saps who are essential workers such as nurses and doctors aren't getting a look in. They don't have half a day spare to spend queuing to get into a supermarket.

I do have enough enough to last a year if needs be. I restock every two weeks and rotate the meats out of the freezer just to keep it fresh and ready for a potential food crisis later in the year.

Just made an amazing curry. I need some advice on how best to make UK-style tomato curry.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:43 am

Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:37 am
Montegriffo wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:33 am

I do have enough enough to last a year if needs be. I restock every two weeks and rotate the meats out of the freezer just to keep it fresh and ready for a potential food crisis later in the year.

Just made an amazing curry. I need some advice on how best to make UK-style tomato curry.
Not sure exactly what you mean by UK style tomato curry.
The traditional British curry is fairly sweet with apple, mango chutney, desiccated coconut and dried fruit in it.
Tomato is usually added in the form of puree and mostly for the colour rather than the taste.