Montegriffo

Re: An apology

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:41 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:39 am
Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:37 am

Sounds nice, no flesh in sight.
No problem with eating the perishables while they're still fresh but a gentle reminder that rationing is in effect and there's a war on don't you know.
I'm off to collect a bit of firewood and then I'm making some bread for the farmers. Got to keep the food providers well fed, I'm hoping the land girls will turn up any day now to help with the war effort.
All the shortages are down in Toronto where the immigrants are panic buying like locusts

Out here in farm country, there are no shortages at all
Still, don't want to look too well fed or you'll attract the attention of the roaming hoards of starving city boys.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:43 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:41 am
Smitty-48 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:39 am
Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:37 am

Sounds nice, no flesh in sight.
No problem with eating the perishables while they're still fresh but a gentle reminder that rationing is in effect and there's a war on don't you know.
I'm off to collect a bit of firewood and then I'm making some bread for the farmers. Got to keep the food providers well fed, I'm hoping the land girls will turn up any day now to help with the war effort.
All the shortages are down in Toronto where the immigrants are panic buying like locusts

Out here in farm country, there are no shortages at all
Still, don't want to look too well fed or you'll attract the attention of the roaming hoards of starving city boys.
They got no chance against me

Against trained soldiers I would surrender

Against untrained civilians, I am the wolf, they are the sheep

Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:45 am

My mom works at a Rexall out in Ingersoll, population 13,000, she says they still panic buying out there, and it's all white people out there. Wellington County must be far more relaxed for whatever reason. I guess London is a bit more panicky than Toronto, iunno.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:50 am

StCapps wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:45 am
Wellington County must be far more relaxed for whatever reason.
Me and Alexei are just chillin' like villains out here

I checked him out on my AR this morning, ran him through the drills

No problemo, he's VDV

Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:00 am

Our pos here could be the worst choice in Canada for any civilians looking for trouble

Bear in mind, we've got the woods here, even in extremis, we can drop back, disappear, then counterattack

If you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:15 am

Other than light pollution & stargazing, this is why I like it dark

A security light just gives a criminal light to work by

In the dark, Recce owns the night

The entire Russo Sportzplex with me in the middle, is blacked out at night

The shadows are your friends

John Rambo Jesus knows

Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:26 am

And as too the OP of the thread

Not that we are expecting contact, but suddenly Dorothy Gale doesn't mind so much that I am armed to the teeth

Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:31 am

I've just found out which pond the moorhens are nesting on. Not strictly legal to take eggs from a wild birds nest in the UK but the thing about moorhens is that they will just keep laying if you keep taking them. Another farmer friend told me that he took 42 eggs over the course of one spring and he says they're the best tasting eggs you can eat. So long as you leave the bird with one batch to sit on and let her rear her chicks you aren't doing any harm.

They actually made a series of BBC documentaries here about 20 years ago about the wartime farm. Because all the kit is so old and the wheat is grown and harvested the old fashioned way with binders rather than combines and it's left to dry out in the sun in sheaths (shucks in Suffolk dialect) they were able to reproduce farming as it was in the 40s.
They got a steam engine in to run the threshing drum which is pre-war and used old tractors and horses for moving the trailers and carts about.
I've never managed to find the series on the internet and Paul only has it on VHS so I've not actually seen it.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:38 am

Like I say, Mrs Smits is getting ready to convert flower beds to Victory Gardens

I don't expect it to be necessary, but whatever, it gives her something to do

She's going batty, meanwhile this is as much fun as I've had in a coons age

It's a lovely fucking war, Bravo Six

Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:44 am

Holy shit, airspace control

Two CF-18's just flew over at about 30k and they looked like they had missiles on them, I could see the white

Nec Aspera Terrent