So Trump ordered General Soleimani Assassinated, and now people are crying for WWIII....

Smitty-48

Re: So Trump ordered General Soleimani Assassinated, and now people are crying for WWIII....

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:10 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:06 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:05 pm
Much as my heart goes out to these Iranian "Canadians" and their families, they were rather naive.

They are Iranians who come to Canada on student visas, but they reserve the right to go back to Iran as well.

It's simply not safe to travel back and forth between Iran and Canada by Ukrainian airline.

Again, Canadian airlines will not fly into Tehran, because they know the Iranians are trigger happy.

If you're going to pay the Ukrainians to fly you into a war zone, you takes your chances, I wouldn't recommend it.
Good to see that you are not so much of a misanthrope that you are incapable of sympathy.
It's not sympathy. I am indoctrinated to compartmentalize. I remain clinically detached.

When you are a soldier, you need to steel your heart for war.

At the same time, these were not combatants, they did not deserve their fate.

It was however Iran who killed them, because they were drawn back like moths to a flame.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Re: So Trump ordered General Soleimani Assassinated, and now people are crying for WWIII....

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:18 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:10 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:06 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:05 pm
Much as my heart goes out to these Iranian "Canadians" and their families, they were rather naive.

They are Iranians who come to Canada on student visas, but they reserve the right to go back to Iran as well.

It's simply not safe to travel back and forth between Iran and Canada by Ukrainian airline.

Again, Canadian airlines will not fly into Tehran, because they know the Iranians are trigger happy.

If you're going to pay the Ukrainians to fly you into a war zone, you takes your chances, I wouldn't recommend it.
Good to see that you are not so much of a misanthrope that you are incapable of sympathy.
It's not sympathy. I am indoctrinated to compartmentalize. I remain clinically detached.

When you are a soldier, you need to steel your heart for war.

At the same time, these were not combatants, they did not deserve their fate.

It was however Iran who killed them, because they were drawn back like moths to a flame.
Family bonds are the hardest to break.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:23 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:18 pm
Family bonds are the hardest to break.
You takes your chances.

If you are an Iranian who acquired a Canadian passport on a student visa track, fair enough.

I'm not trying to kick them out, but again, this wasn't Quebecois shot down while flying over New Brunswick
Nec Aspera Terrent

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:44 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:13 am
I just assume he’s a furry.
Oh god you are one aren't you? Explains so much. BETO 2020!

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:04 pm

Iran just admitted to shooting down the Ukranian aircraft due to human error.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:29 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:04 pm
C'est la guerre. The USS Vincennes made the exact same mistake in 1988
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:33 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:29 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
C'est le guerre. The USS Vincennes made the exact same mistake in 1988
I guess they just couldn't hide the truth any longer.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:35 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:33 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:
The Iranians however insisted that the USS Vincennes committed an "unlawful act"

They contended that it was an "international crime", so they should now be held to their own standard.

Luckily for them, they just killed a bunch of "Canadians", so nothing will come of it.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:05 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:35 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:33 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:

The Iranians however insisted that the USS Vincennes committed an "unlawful act"

They contended that it was an "international crime", so they should now be held to their own standard.

Luckily for them, they just killed a bunch of "Canadians", so nothing will come of it.
A few British and Germans too. Not to mention the Ukranian crew.
It's a surprising move considering they were bulldozing the site to hide evidence earlier today.
I expect the military will blame their civil aviation authorities to cover themselves.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:07 pm

The incompetence here is more that the Iranians were launching a ballistic missile attack on Iraq, and they didn't take control of their own airspace. Any competent military would have shut the airport down.

This is the same thing that happened with the USS Vincennes, the Iranians were engaged in combat with the Vincennes, meanwhile they were allowing an airliner to fly right into the middle of the battle.

This is why they don't really want to go to war with America, the Iranians don't control their own airspace, American forces will fly in and out with impunity, you can't overthrow the regime by airpower, but you certainly could dismantle their military in a matter of hours.
Nec Aspera Terrent