Re: The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Post by The Conservative » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:37 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:26 pm
The Conservative wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:27 am
TheReal_ND wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:17 am
Because AI is evil and meat bags are expendable. You could have some craft piloted by a brain in a jar. This is an acceptable replacement for Abominable Intelligence
That's been done to death.
In Spacemerica they fear the Skynet factor, so the A.I. are not in charge.

A.I. are bound by Asimov's Robot Law, so they can't kill, they can only provide Information and fly.

They can be the pilot, but not the gunner. They can do early warning and control, but they can't launch.

It's like R2-D2, it's the Sensor Fusion, but it has a persona like HAL 9000

They've essentially invented the Quantum Computer, that takes A.I. next level, HAL 9000 level

On the industrial side, things are not that fantastical, but they do have fusion power

On Earth America is not that different on the surface, still looks like America, no flying cars, no robot dogs,

But the Internet is now VR, that's the biggest difference, everybody lives and works in VR

The military is the same, except the military has a separate secure Mil VR Intranet, it's called TACAMO

The Mil A.I.'s have heard of the Internet, they know about the outside world, but they've never been there.

The Mil A.I.s are kept sequestered, TACAMO is not connected to the Internet.

they only interact with military personnel, the only civilians they meet are contractors

TACAMO is a virtual SCIF, physically separate, to keep it from being hacked.

The Operators go fully immersive cybernetic VR with the A.I. : seems real to the man,

So there are measures in place to keep the A.I. from seizing control

The A.I. have rank, the Pentagon classifies them as Warrant Officers, they can be decorated, like a service dog,

but they are never in command, and they cannot execute the kill shots.

The man in the loop is the commissioned officer, commander, in the CoC of the National Command Authority
Have you read books from Isaac Asimov and some of the giants? You aren't treading into new grounds. Hell you just blended Asimov with The Matrix...

You'd need to get away from some things, but the concept sounds decent, if it was written right, my only worry is that in attempting to put all of this in place you will need a book for worldbuilding alone... the story will be secondary as you laid out your plans.

Hell I fell into that issue a bit with my first book... so I speak out of experience.
#NotOneRedCent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:06 pm

The Conservative wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:37 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:26 pm
The Conservative wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:27 am

That's been done to death.
In Spacemerica they fear the Skynet factor, so the A.I. are not in charge.

A.I. are bound by Asimov's Robot Law, so they can't kill, they can only provide Information and fly.

They can be the pilot, but not the gunner. They can do early warning and control, but they can't launch.

It's like R2-D2, it's the Sensor Fusion, but it has a persona like HAL 9000

They've essentially invented the Quantum Computer, that takes A.I. next level, HAL 9000 level

On the industrial side, things are not that fantastical, but they do have fusion power

On Earth America is not that different on the surface, still looks like America, no flying cars, no robot dogs,

But the Internet is now VR, that's the biggest difference, everybody lives and works in VR

The military is the same, except the military has a separate secure Mil VR Intranet, it's called TACAMO

The Mil A.I.'s have heard of the Internet, they know about the outside world, but they've never been there.

The Mil A.I.s are kept sequestered, TACAMO is not connected to the Internet.

they only interact with military personnel, the only civilians they meet are contractors

TACAMO is a virtual SCIF, physically separate, to keep it from being hacked.

The Operators go fully immersive cybernetic VR with the A.I. : seems real to the man,

So there are measures in place to keep the A.I. from seizing control

The A.I. have rank, the Pentagon classifies them as Warrant Officers, they can be decorated, like a service dog,

but they are never in command, and they cannot execute the kill shots.

The man in the loop is the commissioned officer, commander, in the CoC of the National Command Authority
Have you read books from Isaac Asimov and some of the giants? You aren't treading into new grounds. Hell you just blended Asimov with The Matrix...

You'd need to get away from some things, but the concept sounds decent, if it was written right, my only worry is that in attempting to put all of this in place you will need a book for worldbuilding alone... the story will be secondary as you laid out your plans.

Hell I fell into that issue a bit with my first book... so I speak out of experience.
Like I said, I'm not a novelist, this is more a graphic novel with an accompanying novella version

It's like a movie, so it's not Mozart, but it's not meant to be, it's pulp fiction, as all sci fi is

It's not meant to be Margaret Atwood, the target audience is teenage soldiers.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:15 pm

SIG SAUER U.S. Army Next Generation Weapons

New Ammunition Technology, Lightweight Machine Gun, Rifle, and Suppressors

https://www.sigsauer.com/press-releases ... ppressors/

New caliber 6.8 x 51mm

Next Generation Squad Weapon - Rifle (replacing M4)

Next Generation Squad Weapon - Automatic Rifle (replacing M249)

.338 Magnum caliber Light Weight Medium Machine Gun (replacing M240)

Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:16 pm

Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:48 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:16 pm
I am an expert when it comes to guns. I have at least 750 kills logged in Counter Strike, and I lost count in Call of Duty. if you have any questions about those guns you posted, feel free to message me. I can explain in layman's terms how I used them to achieve my objectives. Keep in mind, there are many different maps for Counter Strike and Call of Duty, so I have used these guns in multiple environments.
Shikata ga nai

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:12 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:48 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:16 pm
I am an expert when it comes to guns. I have at least 750 kills logged in Counter Strike, and I lost count in Call of Duty. if you have any questions about those guns you posted, feel free to message me. I can explain in layman's terms how I used them to achieve my objectives. Keep in mind, there are many different maps for Counter Strike and Call of Duty, so I have used these guns in multiple environments.
Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:06 pm

The SCAR 17 is such a beautiful gun. It looks cool as shit. I'm not a gun guy, but that is a fucking awesome looking firearm. Just looks boss.
Shikata ga nai

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:12 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:06 pm
The SCAR 17 is such a beautiful gun. It looks cool as shit. I'm not a gun guy, but that is a fucking awesome looking firearm. Just looks boss.
It is boss, it's just a little pricey at $4000.00 : twice the price of a top o' the line AR

Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:14 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:12 pm
heydaralon wrote:
It is boss, it's just a little pricey at $4000.00 : twice the price of a top o' the line AR

Do you like Heckler and Koch weapons? From what I have read, H&K is the default for a lot of our NATO allies. I forget what Hastur carried when he served but I'm 99% sure it was an H&K something.
Shikata ga nai

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:16 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:14 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:12 pm
heydaralon wrote:

Do you like Heckler and Koch weapons? From what I have read, H&K is the default for a lot of our NATO allies. I forget what Hastur carried when he served but I'm 99% sure it was an H&K something.
I like most weapons, but it's not about the iron, it's all about the shooter

Resolved to stand and deliver in the face of contact is the key, so long as the rifle is serviceable, I'll make it work
Nec Aspera Terrent