Spare Tire

Zlaxer

Re: Spare Tire

Post by Zlaxer » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:57 am

Double check me on this, but I think congress in its infinite wisdom removed the spare requirement so car companies could meet mpg requirements.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:59 am

Zlaxer wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:57 am
Double check me on this, but I think congress in its infinite wisdom removed the spare requirement so car companies could meet mpg requirements.
Would seem par for course.

Fife

Post by Fife » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:01 am

Another central planning + moral hazard success story.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:57 am

Martin Hash wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:28 pm
Had a Lexus. Wife buys what she wants; she LOVED her old Prius but she was apprehensive about the tires for a couple days after the incident. Somebody needs to make us whole on this.
What happens if you're in the middle of nowhere and the tire blows? Seems to be a material harm situation then.

I'm going to be towing a camper through the desert in Nevada; I'm definitely taking my truck.

Forget a spare, I'll be taking an extra full size wheel in the bed.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:03 am

Yeah, I was of the position that a spare is insufficient. You need a full size spare. Then replace the blown tire at your leisure, and shopping for best prices.

Stranding people with no spare at all just to boost mpg numbers I find utterly unacceptable.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:08 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:03 am
Yeah, I was of the position that a spare is insufficient. You need a full size spare. Then replace the blown tire at your leisure, and shopping for best prices.

Stranding people with no spare at all just to boost mpg numbers I find utterly unacceptable.
Indeed. War truck with all the feexins, ammo, water, rations, extra wheel, extra battery, trauma first aid kit, etc

I even carry a defibrillator in my truck, in case somebody is having a heart attack.

I got climbing gear and rope with an extraction harness.

Garmin mil spec handheld GPS

InReach Iridium satphone too.

One man Sheriffs Department.
Nec Aspera Terrent

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:35 am

Fife wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:51 am
If you're gonna buy an eco-rice-burner, understand they are gonna strip that bitch down to the bone to save weight.

When your rig is too fragile to support a spare tire, be prepared for the economic trade-offs involved.

I don't have anything against a super-duper glorified golf cart. I think it would be a great solution for driving to the corner beer store, the office, and church on Sunday.
+1
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:44 am

I travel around on construction jobs, mostly in the Summer so I have my own load out.

5 of water, 5 of gas, basic tools, sleeping mat, sleep system, tent, tow rope, chain, first aid bag, small propane cook stove in the cook kit affectionately known as the 'chuck wagon', Yeti cooler, shovel, axe, bucket, couple quarts of oil, gallon of coolant, fishing gear, basic load of firearms and ammo.

It's interesting you mention climbing gear, I'm a certified Structure Climbing Trainer, and do that training, but other than a rope and a handful of carabiners I don't carry anything. I don't think about it much, but if I have to I'll just go old school nutcutter Swiss Seat in an emergency.

Recently added a Truxedo roll up tonneau cover, which was a nice addition.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:48 am

C-Mag wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:44 am
I travel around on construction jobs, mostly in the Summer so I have my own load out.

5 of water, 5 of gas, basic tools, sleeping mat, sleep system, tent, tow rope, chain, first aid bag, small propane cook stove in the cook kit affectionately known as the 'chuck wagon', Yeti cooler, shovel, axe, bucket, couple quarts of oil, gallon of coolant, fishing gear, basic load of firearms and ammo.

It's interesting you mention climbing gear, I'm a certified Structure Climbing Trainer, and do that training, but other than a rope and a handful of carabiners I don't carry anything. I don't think about it much, but if I have to I'll just go old school nutcutter Swiss Seat in an emergency.

Recently added a Truxedo roll up tonneau cover, which was a nice addition.
I don't climb that much, but I still have my harness from the military, so no need to go nutcutter,

I have it in case somebody has fallen down a hole or off an escarpment, or if there is a remote location I want to get to, just for the enjoyment of the solitude.

In terms of camping gear, my wife refuses to rough it, she's a Glamper not a Camper.

I have come around to that too now, it's nice having a camper. You can just rent one.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:48 am

I’ve been around the world and lived in the Bush for months. Whatever fits in a small backpack is what I take.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change