What Are You Listening To?

Hastur

Re: What Are You Listening To?

Post by Hastur » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:49 pm

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:59 pm

Hastur wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:49 pm
Homer getting down to Mississippi Queen there. I can get with dat.

Fuck Jefferson Starship, but Southron Rock is good ta go.

Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:03 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:38 am
Since we weren't long hairs, and we were brawlers, we all pretty much rocked the Everlast style back then;

There were two types of chicks at Lollapalooza, the hippie grunge chicks, they wouldn't have anything to do with us, they were there for the long hairs.

But then there was the rocker grunge chicks, they were all over us, specially because we had backstage passes to boot.
We didn't have Lollapalooza, we have Glastonbury.
I must have gone about a dozen times between '87 and '09.
In the old days, when you could jump the fence there were over 250k people there.
Every kind of music from Jazz to pop at probably a hundred different venues. The best circus acts, comedians and even theatre and movies on the giant open air screen.
You could listen to a lecture by Tony Benn or admire the art of the Mutoid Waste Company.

It lost a lot of its edge when they built the big wall in the early '00s although reducing the numbers to 150k made it a lot cleaner and easier to move around the site.
It went a bit too middle-class student for my liking so I gave up my free ticket for doing juggling workshops and stopped going.
Saw lots of bands from Van Morrison and Lou Reid to the Dammed, Sham 69 and Chumbawamba over the years.
I'd rather watch the TV coverage these days though, the smaller festivals around 5k are the best in my opinion.

For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:07 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:03 pm
In the old days, when you could jump the fence there were over 250k people there.
Every kind of music from Jazz to pop at probably a hundred different venues. The best circus acts, comedians and even theatre and movies on the giant open air screen.
You could listen to a lecture by Tony Benn or admire the art of the Mutoid Waste Company.
It lost a lot of its edge when they built the big wall in the early '00s although reducing the numbers to 150k made it a lot cleaner and easier to move around the site.
It went a bit too middle-class student for my liking so I gave up my free ticket for doing juggling workshops and stopped going.
Saw lots of bands from Van Morrison and Lou Reid to the Dammed, Sham 69 and Chumbawamba over the years.
I'd rather watch the TV coverage these days though, the smaller festivals around 5k are the best in my opinion.
I'm not a big concert guy, it's not really my speed, Lollapalooza was an exception, all bands that I liked, plus Ice Cube himself, backstage passes which was a once in a lifetime meet the bands opportunity, and actually at Molson Park in Barrie it was pretty intimate, it wasn't a mega concert, Molson Park ain't that big.

Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:21 pm

I'ma big Ice Cube fan, self made tycoon, sports mogul and all around SoCal bad ass.

My wife loves Ice Cube too. This is her fave.

Last edited by Smitty-48 on Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:23 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:07 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:03 pm
I'm not a big concert guy, it's not really my speed, Lollapalooza was an exception, all bands that I liked, plus Ice Cube himself, backstage passes which was a once in a lifetime meet the bands opportunity, and actually at Molson Park in Barrie it was pretty intimate, it wasn't a mega concert, Molson Park ain't that big.

That's the beauty of Glastonbury though. You don't have to go to the Pyramid stage with 70 thousand people to see the main acts. You could visit one of the much smaller stages and see some shit-kicking African dance band you'd never heard of. I rarely made it to the main stage more than once over the 5 days. It had to be unmissable like Ian Dury or Bowie to get me there.
My favourites were the world music/jazz or the acoustic stages where you could get right to the front without having to get physical.
You weren't going to see bands like the Pogues or the Levellers at the main stage anyway.
The Levellers with Dr Didge was one that sticks in the memory.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:27 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:23 pm
That's the beauty of Glastonbury though.
Not my speed. And I don't like the English, guaranteed I would have gotten in fights.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:37 pm

A mate of mine bumped into a bunch of British Army special forces guys there one year. They'd been given the task of getting there with no money, sneaking in and living for free for the week. They were having a great time.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:42 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:37 pm
A mate of mine bumped into a bunch of British Army special forces guys there one year. They'd been given the task of getting there with no money, sneaking in and living for free for the week. They were having a great time.
To each his own, although when I worked with UKSF, every single trooper we met was a Scot, the only English were the officers.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:45 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:42 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:37 pm
To each his own, although when I worked with UKSF, every single trooper we met was a Scot, the only English were the officers.
Weren't you stationed in Scotland though?