What show are you watching right now?

Hastur

Re: What show are you watching right now?

Post by Hastur » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:01 am

I also just finished this one about Maximilian I and Mary of Burgundy. It was worth the time. Don't know if it is available over on the other side.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:21 am

This film is probably different than anything else you've ever seen. It's a set in a dystopian 1950s world, an action flick, an a Rock music flick. Very different, yet a simple story. Reluctant Hero, Tom Cody just back from war, has to rescue the damsel in distress who is his old flame. The villain is a biker leader played by Willam DeFoe. What really set the movie apart is the setting and the integration of Rock music to the flick. The visuals are great and it was made during that brief period when 80's rock was giving a nod to early 50s rock.

PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:35 am

C-Mag wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:21 am

This film is probably different than anything else you've ever seen. It's a set in a dystopian 1950s world, an action flick, an a Rock music flick. Very different, yet a simple story. Reluctant Hero, Tom Cody just back from war, has to rescue the damsel in distress who is his old flame. The villain is a biker leader played by Willam DeFoe. What really set the movie apart is the setting and the integration of Rock music to the flick. The visuals are great and it was made during that brief period when 80's rock was giving a nod to early 50s rock.

I've seen that movie so many times and I still own the soundtrack on vinyl. That is a great record. The Steinmann songs are are a must for anyone who likes his Meatloaf tracks.

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:46 am

Hastur wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:35 am

I've seen that movie so many times and I still own the soundtrack on vinyl. That is a great record. The Steinmann songs are are a must for anyone who likes his Meatloaf tracks.
Yeah, the music is awesome. There's not a bad song in the soundtrack. At least for us 80s coming of age folks.

But I just love the film for it's uniqueness. It's such strange mash up of ideas and art. They never said where or when the story took place. I always took it as some near 1984 dystopian alternate timeline set in the late 50's. A lot of things about the movie stand out. Everyone in the cast younger than 30. The way the music carries the story in a symbiotic way. And the filmography is awesome. It's small and large at the same time.

Gun Nut Nerd props to the armorer who threw in the Marlin breakdown leverage action for the hero Tom Cody
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:49 am

I started watching the Sopranos again; I haven't seen it since it was first-run, so that's 20 years ago when I was a college fuckhead

Holy shit Season 1 might be the best season ever put on television, and being able to watch back-to-back just makes it better, like a 12 hour movie. There are so many great shows from the beginning of this century, and I think Sopranos is the one that ushered in this era
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:14 am

Oz, Sex and the City then Sopranos is the accepted timeline. I would put Buffy in the beginning as well.

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:34 am

California wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:49 am
I started watching the Sopranos again; I haven't seen it since it was first-run, so that's 20 years ago when I was a college fuckhead

Holy shit Season 1 might be the best season ever put on television, and being able to watch back-to-back just makes it better, like a 12 hour movie. There are so many great shows from the beginning of this century, and I think Sopranos is the one that ushered in this era
I haven't watched in years. It was great show though. I love this scene.

Anyone watching "Dark" right now?

brewster

Post by brewster » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:23 am

Finally watching The Americans S1. Gotta laugh at the notion that he can bang the FBI secretary all night and never muss his wig. Still, not a bad show. Also just started Killing Eve.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:09 pm

I watched the first season of Sneaky Pete recently.
Started watching the second series but it was just more of the same so I lost interest by episode two.
Some shows just don't know when to stop.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:39 pm

California wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:49 am

Definitely in the Top 10, if not top 5. Best season of The Sopranos in my opinion.

The Sopranos was the Big Bang of the Golden Age of Television. Without The Sopranos, there is no Breaking Bad, there is no The Wire, there is no Mad Men, There is no Deadwood, There is no The Shield.
*yip*