THE ERA OF BORIS

BjornP

Re: THE ERA OF BORIS

Post by BjornP » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:08 pm

StCapps wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:18 pm
Academia is infested with leftists, to deny that is asinine. The few non-leftists there is are drowned out by the infestation actively trying to convert them and threatening their careers if they don't tow the far-left party line.

It's not just "some leftists" in academia dude, being "conservative" is now considered heretical, and if you aren't far enough to the left for their tastes, which includes almost everyone, you are actively persecuted.
You said "academics", in the non-specific, plural form, as if you were saying all academics.

Not denying that (Anglophone) academia is "infested" with SJW leftists (or rather, that the university leadership has no spine and the US department of education doesn't dare anger the parents of rich college kids and cut their purse strings). That has nothing to do with what an "academic" is, though. If there is even one academic, let's say a law student that isn't one of them a scary, dangerous leftist, then your definite claim about "academics" in the plural, is false. The SJW fad will die out. Academia won't. It's been influenced by lots of competing ideas and ideologies through the millenias. The only claim to "left-wing" you'd have, is if we define the left-right paradigm in the context of radicalism (left) vs traditionalism (right). By that definition to question any tradition is leftist. You are a republican, IIRC, a filthy anti-monarchist. Meaning you're a leftist... :think:

There is no problem with "leftist" ideas in academia. You're supposed to be able to discuss and analyze beliefs you don't share, and generally be skeptical in places like that. Problem arises when activists take charge and start demanding that only one idea must be taught, only one perspective defended, and all other ideas branded as offensive and cast out. That's also not something everyone to the left of center, or even far to the left think is alright. Not universallyso , anyway.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:10 pm

BjornP wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:08 pm
You said "academics", in the non-specific, plural form, as if you were saying all academics.
Some academics doing something is not the same as every single academic also doing that thing, with no exceptions. I said nothing of the sort, you simply want to disagree with me, for some unknown reason, and are playing semantics to create a strawman of my position.
*yip*

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:40 pm

StCapps wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:10 pm
BjornP wrote:
Some academics doing something is not the same as every single academic also doing that thing, with no exceptions. I said nothing of the sort, you simply want to disagree with me, for some unknown reason, and are playing semantics to create a strawman of my position.
Either you have the attention span or memory of a fruit fly, or you're just trying to weasel out of admitting a simple mistake. You claimed this:
Academics want more government intervention to save people from themselves, who knew?
A clear cut claim, which I disputed, and you couldn't defend other than correcting your earlier claim to "most academics" and now "some". You're the one playing a semantics game, now. I assume you were/are aware that it's not some eternal truth that academics = leftists? That's it's just a trend? That, ergo, wanting more government intervention is not a feature of being an academic.

So, we can agree that the above quote is factually wrong, yes?
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:43 pm

BjornP wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:40 pm
StCapps wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:10 pm
BjornP wrote:
Either you have the attention span or memory of a fruit fly, or you're just trying to weasel out of admitting a simple mistake. You claimed this:
Academics want more government intervention to save people from themselves, who knew?
A clear cut claim, which I disputed, and you couldn't defend other than correcting your earlier claim to "most academics" and now "some". You're the one playing a semantics game, now. I assume you were/are aware that it's not some eternal truth that academics = leftists? That's it's just a trend? That, ergo, wanting more government intervention is not a feature of being an academic.

So, we can agree that the above quote is factually wrong, yes?
I made no mistake, most academics totally do that and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. I never said all of them do, at any point in time.

There is certainly a strong connection between thinking you know it all, and thinking that means you can tell everyone else how to live, look at Hash for instance. He's the ultimate academic, think he knows best about everything, and thinks we should all just listen to him, because credentials, and if we don't, it's disrespecting his authority.
*yip*

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:11 pm

The threat to Boris Johnson from alleged favours granted to his friend Jennifer Arcuri while he was London mayor has deepened, with a referral to a police watchdog for a possible “misconduct” inquiry.

The Greater London Authority (GLA) has asked the Independent Office for Police Conduct to assess whether the prime minister should be formally investigated over his relationship with the US tech entrepreneur and former model.

It wants the probe to explore whether Ms Arcuri was allowed to join trade missions, and received large grants, “when she and her companies could not have expected otherwise to receive those benefits”.

The bombshell move, to examine whether “a criminal offence” was committed, escalates the danger to Mr Johnson’s position from a controversy he has attempted to shrug off.

The prime minister has insisted “everything was done entirely in the proper way” – while refusing to answer questions about whether he had had a sexual relationship with Ms Arcuri.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 23946.html

Things just aren't getting any better for Boris.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:16 pm

It is claimed that in 2013 Ms Arcuri’s business received £10,000 in sponsorship cash from an organisation that the future prime minister was responsible for as mayor.

She was given a £15,000 government grant in 2014, under a programme to encourage foreign entrepreneurs to build businesses in Britain, and, last year, the further £100,000 award.

Ms Arcuri was also given preferential treatment when it came to joining overseas trade missions led by Mr Johnson, The Sunday Times reported.

Her business was alleged to have failed to meet the eligibility criteria for the three trade trips she attended in one year, but the rejections were overturned after Mr Johnson and his team intervened, it was claimed.

A statement by the authority read: “The monitoring officer of the Greater London Authority (GLA) has today recorded a ‘conduct matter’ against Boris Johnson and referred him to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) so it can assess whether or not it is necessary to investigate the former mayor of London for the criminal offence of misconduct in public office.

“The ‘conduct matter’ has been recorded as allegations have been brought to the attention of the monitoring officer that Boris Johnson maintained a friendship with Jennifer Arcuri and as a result of that friendship allowed Ms Arcuri to participate in trade missions and receive sponsorship monies in circumstances when she and her companies could not have expected otherwise to receive those benefits.”
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:54 pm

:lol:

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:19 pm

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:58 am

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/ ... sex-church

Somalian takes out Conservative MP Sir David Amess.

:shock:

Going to be interesting watching labor try to pretend this didn't happen.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:03 pm

Zlaxer wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:58 am
https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/ ... sex-church

Somalian takes out Conservative MP Sir David Amess.

:shock:

Going to be interesting watching labor try to pretend this didn't happen.
They’ll blame the knife
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change