Heading to the Dark Continent

C-Mag

Re: Heading to the Dark Continent

Post by C-Mag » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:55 am

How was the food ?
Did anyone in your party get dysentery, or maybe I should ask how many times? :lol:
It's pretty standard pain that goes with traveling 3rd world countries.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:11 am

DrYouth wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:58 am
Montegriffo wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:37 am
Are you not good with heights?
I'm fine with heights.
I have bungee jumped and look forward to sky diving when the time is right.
It just seemed undignified. I call it like I see it.
Enjoyed the falls and took plenty of pictures... but Devil's pool seemed unnecessary and it was also on the Zambian side.
Fair enough.
I just tire of the ''too touristy'' or ''too popular'' type arguments against going places.
There is obviously a reason places are touristy or popular, It's because they are worth seeing.
Never heard the ''undignified'' variant before though.

I refused to queue for 2 hours behind the 3 coachloads of American tourists wanting to kiss the Blarney stone. But that is because I wanted to look around Blarney castle (which none of the tourists even bothered to do) not because it was too touristy.
Plus I never felt like I needed any help to make me a non-stop talker.

Sitting in a river and looking over a 100m drop as the river fell over it seems like an opportunity not to be missed IMO no matter how undignified it may seem.
Probably wouldn't have queued for hours to do it though.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:21 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:11 am
Sitting in a river and looking over a 100m drop as the river fell over it seems like an opportunity not to be missed IMO no matter how undignified it may seem.
Probably wouldn't have queued for hours to do it though.
You pay a lot of coin to be herded up there and chaperoned into this pool for the purpose of being photographed... or at least that what it seemed like to me. You can take in the wonder of the thing very easily without this indignity.
I wouldn't miss seeing Vic Falls... it is definitely worth visiting and the town of Vic Falls hardly seems over touristed... I was actually surprised.
Probably the colossal mismanagement of the economy has prevented much development.... so lucky us.

We were only in Zim for 2 nights and given how popular a location it was I figured they would have an ATM... I was surprised to find that none of the banks have any currency of any kind... so we couldn't buy anything while we were there. Luckily a few places accept credit cards...
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:41 am

I'd always planned to visit from the Zambian side anyway. Zambia has the most freshwater resources in Sub-Saharan Africa. 17 major waterfalls on its many rivers.
Not a big fan of jetting around the world belching out CO2 though so I may never go.
I wonder how easy it is to get a passage on a cargo boat.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:48 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:41 am
I'd always planned to visit from the Zambian side anyway. Zambia has the most freshwater resources in Sub-Saharan Africa. 17 major waterfalls on its many rivers.
Not a big fan of jetting around the world belching out CO2 though so I may never go.
Hop on one of the empty boats heading back to Africa for a fresh batch of refugees. Guilt free passage.
Then you can walk to the falls. All good for the environment ;)
PLATA O PLOMO

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:49 am

C-Mag wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:48 am
Montegriffo wrote:
Hop on one of the empty boats heading back to Africa for a fresh batch of refugees. Guilt free passage.

Hmm, you appear to have the geographical knowledge of the average American. ;)
Whilst it is theoretically possible to walk 5000 miles, from Libya across the Sahara desert and then through multiple war zones, to Zambia I'm not sure it is something I could do. A cargo ship down the west coast seems like a much more practical solution.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:07 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:49 am
C-Mag wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:

Whilst it is theoretically possible to walk 5000 miles, from Libya across the Sahara desert and then through multiple war zones, to Zambia I'm not sure it is something I could do. A cargo ship down the west coast seems like a much more practical solution.
I specifically called out walking because it is simply the best for the environment. Gaia don't care if you get killed by warlords in the Sarah or die of dehydration, in fact, it would add organic material to bad soils and be an improvement environmentally.

I just thought you should consider what's best for the environment ;)
PLATA O PLOMO

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:12 am

C-Mag wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:07 am
Montegriffo wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:49 am
C-Mag wrote:

I specifically called out walking because it is simply the best for the environment. Gaia don't care if you get killed by warlords in the Sarah or die of dehydration, in fact, it would add organic material to bad soils and be an improvement environmentally.

I just thought you should consider what's best for the environment ;)
If I find a warlord in Sarah I shall take care not to disturb them whilst they are in the act.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:23 am

I don't want to derail Dr Youth's thread.

Let's hear more about the trip, and some pics would be great.

How was the food ?
PLATA O PLOMO

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:25 am

C-Mag wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:23 am
I don't want to derail Dr Youth's thread.

Let's hear more about the trip, and some pics would be great.

How was the food ?
content control is for pussies
...but I agree, more from the good doctor please.