Brexit

StCapps

Re: Brexit

Post by StCapps » Wed May 29, 2019 4:17 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 4:16 am
Actually, I like Boris. I've said so many times. I'll take him over Corbyn every time, he's far more Liberal in practice.
I didn't like him lying to the public though.
Especially when it sways the public vote.
I think it should have consequences.
It will have consequences, but that doesn't mean legal consequences should be part of that mix.

Why do you expect politicians to be paragons of virtue when that has never been the case, and never will be the case?
*yip*

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed May 29, 2019 4:19 am

StCapps wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 4:12 am
I have a right to lie, you have to right to lie, why do politicians not have that right?

Why do you expect politicians to be paragons of virtue when that has never been the case, and never will be the case?

Because you wish the world was all sunshine and rainbows and some stupid rule is going to make the politicians behave the way you want them to? Good luck with that utopian nonsense.
I don't have the right to lie. In many circumstances, it is a criminal offence.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Wed May 29, 2019 4:20 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 4:19 am
StCapps wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 4:12 am
I have a right to lie, you have to right to lie, why do politicians not have that right?

Because you wish the world was all sunshine and rainbows and some stupid rule is going to make the politicians behave the way you want them to? Good luck with that utopian nonsense.
I don't have the right to lie. In many circumstances, it is a criminal offence.
If you told the same lie as Boris, it's not a criminal offence though, you do have that right, apparently you think Boris Johnson doesn't. Double standard.

Just because Boris Johnson is a more effective liar and swayed more people doesn't mean that lie should be illegal, you're just mad people don't listen to you like they listen to him, and want him legally punished because you are butthurt that Brexit won because he was more persuasive than the idiots who backed Remain.
Last edited by StCapps on Wed May 29, 2019 4:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
*yip*

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed May 29, 2019 4:28 am

If I lied about my finances on a tax form or a loan application it would be an offence.
You want politicians to be able to lie about finances for personal gain to be immune from the law?

Weird.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Wed May 29, 2019 4:34 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 4:28 am
If I lied about my finances on a tax form or a loan application it would be an offence.
You want politicians to be able to lie about finances for personal gain to be immune from the law?

Weird.
That is lamest analogy. BoJo didn't lie about his personal finances on a tax form or loan application, he told a lie during a political campaign, not the same thing, not even close.

You need to let that Brexit shit go dude, people like you who's emotional attachment to the whole Brexit issue and subsequent looking down your nose at those who support it is why they won in the first place.

Knock off the holier than thou faux intellectual snobbery bullshit, and more people might listen to you on topic, pro tip. If Remain had done that, they probably wouldn't have lost the referendum, but they decided to run Clinton-like campaign of finger waving and hand wringing instead, trying to shame people out of voting to Leave, with Basket of Deplorables type shenanigans, womp womp.

Backfire City. Stop making the same mistake over and over again, unless you want to unwittingly empower the Leave side of the debate by refusing to learn.
*yip*

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed May 29, 2019 4:44 am

Boris lied about public finances in order to mislead the public and gain power for himself.
If that is the sort of politician you want then I hope your wishes are granted.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Wed May 29, 2019 4:46 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 4:44 am
Boris lied about public finances in order to mislead the public and gain power for himself.
If that is the sort of politician you want then I hope your wishes are granted.
Boris didn't lie about them on an official form, he just lied on the campaign trail. He didn't defraud the government with false accounting to cover up the truth, and win an election, he just sold a popular lie to voters, big difference.

All successful politicians lie about numbers to paint a narrative that suits their interests, or at least omit information that doesn't help them. Wanting them not to, and making stupid laws against it that are clearly selectively enforced, won't prevent that. I live in reality, not a fantasy land where politicians are paragons of virtue.

You may want to live in a world where politicians are paragons of virtue, but such a world will never exist, except in fiction. All the King's Horses, all the King's Men and all of Nanny's rules, won't be able to save you from that reality.
*yip*

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed May 29, 2019 6:22 am

Somewhere between paragons of virtue and blatant liars is the sweet spot.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Wed May 29, 2019 8:06 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 6:22 am
Somewhere between paragons of virtue and blatant liars is the sweet spot.
And silly anti-politician lying laws that are selectively enforced don't move the needle towards that sweet spot, but away from it.
*yip*

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Wed May 29, 2019 10:09 pm