What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

Speaker to Animals

Re: What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon May 13, 2019 6:54 pm

The novels continue into human exploration of all those new star systems.

Mars gets fucked, since there is no point in laboring towards the dream of terraforming the place when we have like a thousand whole Earths to colonize.

What they failed to explain the tv adaptation is that the type 4 civilization that built all this was what seeded life on Earth, and also 9n all those other worlds. It is all DNA based and all roughly compatible with us.

Basically, they sent out seeds that fertilized planets in these systems with DNA life. After millions of years the DNA biospheres grew and evolved. So the second loads arrive with the proto-molecule. That molecule reorganizes the biosphere to perfectly suit the aliens, and then builds a gate to that station.

For some reason the proto-molecule did not reach Earth and remained out there for a very long time until humans found it.

It wasn't until the proto-molecule mass was very high (on Venus) when it could build enough artificial intelligence to understand that something went wrong and it is very, very late. Thus Earth evolved way past where it should have been, and intelligence popped up there.

It learned this when it deconstructed the Earth and Martian research ships (and the humans onboard). So it built a gate to the station to figure out what to do next, since now there are intelligent creatures here.

But somebody literally exterminated this very powerful civilization, and the station wants to retaliate. It at first thought humans were the exterminators, and was about to kill all of us.

Once it understood who we are, it stood down and handed over the remaining uncolonized worlds to us.

But the assassins are still out there somewhere..

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat May 18, 2019 8:03 am

Started listening to the Three Body Problem audiobook today.

I am not sure what to make of the fact that this was published in China. The first chapters are set in the Cultural Revolution. It paints a terrifying picture of what happens when SJWs gain power.

I will have to see how this book turns out, but if this is what I suspect, the novel may be a really, really good suggestion for anybody who is SJW or crossing the border from liberalism to Marxism.

Like.. holy fuck I would hate to have endured that bullshit.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Sat May 18, 2019 8:39 am

Are you trying to better learn how the enemy thinks or something ?
The good, the true, & the beautiful

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun May 19, 2019 6:45 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:39 am
Are you trying to better learn how the enemy thinks or something ?
The novel is moved a bit further into the future now. The author does not seem to be a fan of the Cultural Revolution, or the red guard, or really of Chairman Mao. I am curious what is going on over there that this got published.

He's obviously a very, very good writer. The English translation reads nicely as well.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Tue May 21, 2019 10:49 am

"Call of Cthulhu": Lovecraft, and why Horror is Reactionary"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxWPVlxoSn0
The good, the true, & the beautiful

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat May 25, 2019 5:30 pm

Three Body Problem: strong recommend.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sun May 26, 2019 11:58 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:54 pm

Mars gets fucked, since there is no point in laboring towards the dream of terraforming the place when we have like a thousand whole Earths to colonize.

What they failed to explain the tv adaptation is that the type 4 civilization that built all this was what seeded life on Earth, and also 9n all those other worlds. It is all DNA based and all roughly compatible with us.

Basically, they sent out seeds that fertilized planets in these systems with DNA life. After millions of years the DNA biospheres grew and evolved. So the second loads arrive with the proto-molecule. That molecule reorganizes the biosphere to perfectly suit the aliens, and then builds a gate to that station.

For some reason the proto-molecule did not reach Earth and remained out there for a very long time until humans found it.

It wasn't until the proto-molecule mass was very high (on Venus) when it could build enough artificial intelligence to understand that something went wrong and it is very, very late. Thus Earth evolved way past where it should have been, and intelligence popped up there.

It learned this when it deconstructed the Earth and Martian research ships (and the humans onboard). So it built a gate to the station to figure out what to do next, since now there are intelligent creatures here.

But somebody literally exterminated this very powerful civilization, and the station wants to retaliate. It at first thought humans were the exterminators, and was about to kill all of us.

Once it understood who we are, it stood down and handed over the remaining uncolonized worlds to us.

I just finished the latest book. Book #7 skipped ahead 30 or so years to allow for the colonization of the 1200 gate systems, and I thought this one was going to be the end due to age and the way they seemed to be wrapping up the story.

However, at the end they set it up for another one. Although the universe they've build is great, the main attraction is the four main crew members of the Rocinante. I just don't know where the writers are going to go next
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun May 26, 2019 12:00 pm

California wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 11:58 am

I just finished the latest book. Book #7 skipped ahead 30 or so years to allow for the colonization of the 1200 gate systems, and I thought this one was going to be the end due to age and the way they seemed to be wrapping up the story.

However, at the end they set it up for another one. Although the universe they've build is great, the main attraction is the four main crew members of the Rocinante. I just don't know where the writers are going to go next

Amazon owns the show now. My suspicion is that they will just follow the Roci through all those gates in completely new stories. If they can find really good writers, like BSG had at one time, it could be big.

Amazon is definitely not going to burn the cast that made that show so popular. They had the perfect cast, and following the first novels through Abaddon's Gate was about all they needed to do to build the appropriate backstory. These first three seasons could really just be prequels for the real shit that comes out from Amazon's production studios.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sun May 26, 2019 6:52 pm

Sun May 26, 2019 12:00 pm
California wrote:

Amazon owns the show now. My suspicion is that they will just follow the Roci through all those gates in completely new stories. If they can find really good writers, like BSG had at one time, it could be big.

Amazon is definitely not going to burn the cast that made that show so popular. They had the perfect cast, and following the first novels through Abaddon's Gate was about all they needed to do to build the appropriate backstory. These first three seasons could really just be prequels for the real shit that comes out from Amazon's production studios.
At the end of the book the authors thanked Amazon and Bezos personally. Big things are coming.

Amazon does a good job at their TV shows. Bosch might be my favorite newer show, but then again, I'm pretty gay for Titus Wellever. Almost as gay as I am for Olyphant
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun May 26, 2019 7:17 pm

California wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 6:52 pm
Sun May 26, 2019 12:00 pm
California wrote:

At the end of the book the authors thanked Amazon and Bezos personally. Big things are coming.

Amazon does a good job at their TV shows. Bosch might be my favorite newer show, but then again, I'm pretty gay for Titus Wellever. Almost as gay as I am for Olyphant
Bezos is a fan of the novels. Word is he snapped his fingers and bought the show even though his guys could not figure out how to make the deal work profitably.

I think he wants an SF GoT, and starting off at the end of Abaddon'a Gate is fucking wide open.

If you guys like the SyFy series, consider these guys are getting a fuck ton more budget to work with, and they really have no more novels to follow.