Revolutions podcast - Russian Revolution

heydaralon

Re: Revolutions podcast - Russian Revolution

Post by heydaralon » Thu May 23, 2019 2:33 pm

DrYouth wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 2:32 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 2:24 pm
Motherfucker I just finished reading a book on the history of the USSR. I know about Kerensky. I know about the Civil War. I know about the Winter Palace. I would clown Duncan like Stephen King's IT when it comes to Russian Revolution Trivia. He would become the new McDonald's Mascot after squaring off even a single round with me.
Alright then... if you're going to be that way.

But can you please at least shitpost in this thread whenever you have some spare time?
I probably will give it a listen. From my understanding, Duncan is a leftist, so it will be interesting if he covers the 15 million who died in the Civil War, and Lenin and Trotsky's role in that. If he plays that: Lenin was the good guy it was Stalin who perverted it crap then I will know he is not serious.
Shikata ga nai

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Thu May 23, 2019 2:37 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 2:33 pm
I probably will give it a listen. From my understanding, Duncan is a leftist, so it will be interesting if he covers the 15 million who died in the Civil War, and Lenin and Trotsky's role in that. If he plays that: Lenin was the good guy it was Stalin who perverted it crap then I will know he is not serious.
Listen to it...

I want to hear all the critiques I can get on Duncan.

So far I am very impressed.

I don't think he's leaning left... but then I was raised on lefty propaganda... so I need my regular dosage of red pills or else I revert.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Fri May 24, 2019 3:56 am

I'm onboard. Listened to every episode of Revolutions so far with the exception of the American Revolution. I had the same feeling after 10.1. We're finally here.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Fri May 24, 2019 5:39 am

He hasn't committed to what, if anything, comes after the Russian Revolution...

Any guesses?
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Fri May 24, 2019 5:53 am

Possibly a 100 part series about citizen Lafayette. ;)

I would like to see him tackle the Cuban and Iranian revolutions and the Lebanese Civil War.

Too soon?

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Fri May 24, 2019 8:23 am

Hastur wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 5:53 am
Possibly a 100 part series about citizen Lafayette. ;)

I would like to see him tackle the Cuban and Iranian revolutions and the Lebanese Civil War.

Too soon?
Cuba and Iran make sense.

Lebanese civil war... why?

What about China?

That's a pretty huge topic... so I'm guessing he'll avoid it... but it seems very relevant to current geopolitics.

He says he's planning on wrapping up the whole series in time for his book launch... so I kind of wonder If he'll just stop after Russia.

But to really bring us to the current era I think the Iranian revolution and the Chinese Maoist revolution are the most important to cover.

Someone should start a petition. :twisted:

brewster

Post by brewster » Fri May 24, 2019 10:25 am

What? No love for the Spanish Civil War, the dress rehearsal for WW2?

I don't see how he could possibly skip China, arguably the most important of all by population affected. For any of you who took AP world history in HS, today's curriculum covers Chinese history in the depth commensurate with their historic size and population, rather than pretending anything of importance happened in little Europe. My daughter can name all the dynasties and has a grasp of all the shit they never taught us in the 70's, she got a 5 on the AP.
Last edited by brewster on Fri May 24, 2019 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Fri May 24, 2019 10:42 am

brewster wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:25 am

I don't see how he could possibly skip China, arguably the most important of all by population affected. For any of you who took AP history in HS, today's curriculum covers Chinese history in the depth commensurate with their historic size and population, rather than pretending anything of importance happened in little Europe. My daughter can name all the dynasties and has a grasp of all the shit they never taught us in the 70's, she got a 5 on the AP.
Spanish civil war probably doesn't meet Duncan's criteria for a revolution.

I hope he doesn't skip China... but I'm concerned he doesn't have the time or energy for it prior to his self imposed deadline.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Sat May 25, 2019 1:55 pm

If he doesn't do the Irish uprising and the Spanish Civil War that's bullshit.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat May 25, 2019 2:35 pm

brewster wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:25 am

I don't see how he could possibly skip China, arguably the most important of all by population affected. For any of you who took AP world history in HS, today's curriculum covers Chinese history in the depth commensurate with their historic size and population, rather than pretending anything of importance happened in little Europe. My daughter can name all the dynasties and has a grasp of all the shit they never taught us in the 70's, she got a 5 on the AP.
They used to teach Chinese history in gifted and talented classes twenty, thirty years ago.