Game of Thrones - mostly

brewster

Re: Game of Thrones - mostly

Post by brewster » Fri May 10, 2019 10:16 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:50 am
I'm not sure where I got that from.
In old English faery lore it was common for victims to be enchanted by their music and be compelled to dance until they died from exhaustion. It was often used to explain the wasting away of TB sufferers who were thought to have been victims of faeries who summoned them in their sleep and forced them to dance all night.
Given that Anderson was Danish, I'll bet that "Old English" story was actually from the Danelaw period, just like the days of the week. Watching American Gods with Mr Wednesday, AKA Odin? Gaiman stole the idea from Kipling, who wrote a series of children's stories teaching English history called Puck of Pook's Hill, in which the old Norse Gods stranded in England bemoan that no one worships them anymore and slowly die off.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri May 10, 2019 10:32 am

brewster wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 10:16 am
Montegriffo wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:50 am
I'm not sure where I got that from.
In old English faery lore it was common for victims to be enchanted by their music and be compelled to dance until they died from exhaustion. It was often used to explain the wasting away of TB sufferers who were thought to have been victims of faeries who summoned them in their sleep and forced them to dance all night.
Given that Anderson was Danish, I'll bet that "Old English" story was actually from the Danelaw period, just like the days of the week. Watching American Gods with Mr Wednesday, AKA Odin? Gaiman stole the idea from Kipling, who wrote a series of children's stories teaching English history called Puck of Pook's Hill, in which the old Norse Gods stranded in England bemoan that no one worships them anymore and slowly die off.
Yes, much of our old lore is similar to the Norse.
Substitute faeries for trolls and they are often the same.
Small Gods by Pratchett also links the number of worshippers to the strength of the Gods.
Gaiman has co-written with Pratchett (Good Omens) and it kept crossing my mind as I watched American Gods.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri May 10, 2019 10:38 am

Hastur and I have discussed the links between English and Norse Fairy tales before.
https://martinhash.com/forums/viewtopic ... 90#p241411
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Sat May 11, 2019 1:22 pm

The narrative could take him in either direction... I like option one better somehow... he's not really that redeemable.... but it's possible.
Not so much redeeming as going full circle. Starts by killing a mad king and ends killing a mad queen.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat May 11, 2019 2:35 pm

clubgop wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:21 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:20 pm
clubgop wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 3:10 pm

How many times do you have to be shown we dont want Hillary?

Jon Snow is a tall dark handsome multiple war hero with the lineage of a Kennedy and a Bush.
Descended from bootleggers?
Kennedy were bootleggers didnt think the Bushes were. As Bron would say "how did all the great houses start?"
Yeah, that line was a bit of 4th wall-breaker. All of our ‘great houses’ started as criminals. Rockefellers, Carnegies, etc.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sat May 11, 2019 2:44 pm

At the House of the Undying, it was said that Dany would be betrayed three times, once for blood, once for coin, and once for love.

Blood was the witch she saved who killed Khal Drogo and made her unborn baby still born, because she was pissed about being enslaved and her tribe conquered and killed.

Coin was Jorah Mormont spying on her for Robert Baratheon, but the Love betrayal has yet to occur, Jorah may have loved her but she didn't love him.

Chances of Jon killing Dany have increased even more after being reminded of that in show prophecy, The Uncuckening is coming, or at least Jon killing Dany is even more of a frontrunner after factoring that into the equation.
*yip*

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun May 12, 2019 5:52 am

Spoiler alert...

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Sun May 12, 2019 10:20 am

StCapps wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:44 pm
At the House of the Undying, it was said that Dany would be betrayed three times, once for blood, once for coin, and once for love.

Blood was the witch she saved who killed Khal Drogo and made her unborn baby still born, because she was pissed about being enslaved and her tribe conquered and killed.

Coin was Jorah Mormont spying on her for Robert Baratheon, but the Love betrayal has yet to occur, Jorah may have loved her but she didn't love him.

Chances of Jon killing Dany have increased even more after being reminded of that in show prophecy, The Uncuckening is coming, or at least Jon killing Dany is even more of a frontrunner after factoring that into the equation.
Nice...

Yes I agree...

And then there is the Green Eyes part of Arya's prophecy which suggests she will kill Cersi... but I really hope she doesn't.

I would rather it be Jaimie or Grey Worm.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Sun May 12, 2019 10:27 am

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:35 pm
clubgop wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:21 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:20 pm

Descended from bootleggers?
Kennedy were bootleggers didnt think the Bushes were. As Bron would say "how did all the great houses start?"
Yeah, that line was a bit of 4th wall-breaker. All of our ‘great houses’ started as criminals. Rockefellers, Carnegies, etc.
Not criminals, cut throats. You reading into that is what you want to read into that.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun May 12, 2019 7:39 pm

15 minutes in, and I can tell Cersei will win.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0