Game of Thrones - mostly

Kath

Re: Game of Thrones - mostly

Post by Kath » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:28 am

California wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:18 am
Anyone who's read the books knows that Arya was being set up for this the whole time
It was my prediction. Perfect choice.
Why are all the Gods such vicious cunts? Where's the God of tits and wine?

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:27 pm

Kath wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:28 am
It was my prediction. Perfect choice.
Did she jump out a window onto him?
It was hard to make out.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Kath

Post by Kath » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:59 pm

DrYouth wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:27 pm
Did she jump out a window onto him?
It was hard to make out.
I'm going to try and get some of these details when I re-watch. I think a bunch of it was intentionally hidden from our view.
Why are all the Gods such vicious cunts? Where's the God of tits and wine?

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:49 pm

Makes me so glad I didn’t get into this series:
... The “Great War,” the war of the living against the dead, the existential fight for the survival of life itself, was fought in one location, in one night, over the span of a few hours. The Night King waltzed into a trap the leaders of the army of the living whipped up in 30 seconds of planning conducted a couple hours before the battle began—Put Bran in the courtyard and surround him by 10 or so professional sailors wielding bows and arrows—and Arya Stark leapfrogged a hundred thousand wights and a half-dozen distracted White Walkers and stabbed the Night King in the belly with a little Valyrian-steel dagger, and he died, and all the White Walkers instantly died, and all the wights instantly returned to inanimate death, and that was it.

The Great War—which turned out, for all the scuffling, to have been a far more minor matter than Stannis Baratheon invading the North with like 2,000 dudes—was over, the threat of the White Walkers banished forever, because somebody had the idea to wait for the Night King to come for the Three-Eyed Raven and then an assassin-school dropout jumped very far and poked him once with a knife that couldn’t even cut through Catelyn Stark’s fingers...

https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/cerse ... 1834386681

It was that precise (nearly identical) Deus EX Machina BS that got me to abandon the Wheel of Time in book one. All the protagonists running from a Trolloc army. No way they can escape. They’re all gonna die. Hero kills a half-man leader of the Trollocs, and the whole army collapses. Very. Same. Bullshit.

Can’t abide that lazy ass story telling.
Which is probably why I’m still punching a clock while many lazy ass phone-a-story-in fiction writers are living large.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:02 pm

What's better than bitching about a tv show? Bitching about one you didn't watch bc your smart but then going on forums to bitch about it.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:16 pm

Awwwwww.

:cry:

I have to do something with all this extra time I saved from not watching that contrived, POS, show.
Mwahahahahhahahahahhahahah
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:25 pm

it's still entertaining, my eyes were glued to the screen for the entire episode. but that doesn't mean it's immune to legitimate criticism, the show isn't nearly as deep as people give it credit for. has capps posted yet? looking forward to a lengthy post from him hopefully

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:53 pm

This series had massive potential...

But there have been signs that the writers don't exactly know where they are going with this...

If the author of series was the reason the series had potential... and he choked on his own ideas... and never completed them.

What are the odds the writers of this series are going to turn this into a legitimate work of art?

It doesn't look promising at this point.

But the jury is out.

And at the very least there were some cool dragons and zombies and we all had a lark... I'll drink to that.
Last edited by DrYouth on Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:53 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:49 pm
Makes me so glad I didn’t get into this series:
... The “Great War,” the war of the living against the dead, the existential fight for the survival of life itself, was fought in one location, in one night, over the span of a few hours. The Night King waltzed into a trap the leaders of the army of the living whipped up in 30 seconds of planning conducted a couple hours before the battle began—Put Bran in the courtyard and surround him by 10 or so professional sailors wielding bows and arrows—and Arya Stark leapfrogged a hundred thousand wights and a half-dozen distracted White Walkers and stabbed the Night King in the belly with a little Valyrian-steel dagger, and he died, and all the White Walkers instantly died, and all the wights instantly returned to inanimate death, and that was it.

The Great War—which turned out, for all the scuffling, to have been a far more minor matter than Stannis Baratheon invading the North with like 2,000 dudes—was over, the threat of the White Walkers banished forever, because somebody had the idea to wait for the Night King to come for the Three-Eyed Raven and then an assassin-school dropout jumped very far and poked him once with a knife that couldn’t even cut through Catelyn Stark’s fingers...

https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/cerse ... 1834386681

It was that precise (nearly identical) Deus EX Machina BS that got me to abandon the Wheel of Time in book one. All the protagonists running from a Trolloc army. No way they can escape. They’re all gonna die. Hero kills a half-man leader of the Trollocs, and the whole army collapses. Very. Same. Bullshit.

Can’t abide that lazy ass story telling.
Which is probably why I’m still punching a clock while many lazy ass phone-a-story-in fiction writers are living large.
That article is so freaking good.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:34 pm

Kath called it on Arya taking out the Night King, was a good choice, especially with dagger that had once been used in an attempt to assassinate Bran. Better than Jon or Dany killing it, or a dragon killing it. Can't give Arya the advantage of knowing exactly where you are going to be in a place she knows that well, while tunnel visioning on something else and live to tell the tale. In the end, The Night King's fatal flaw was smugness.

Glad they got the ice zombies out of the way, so they could focus on the backstabbing to go out strong, keeping the ice zombies around any longer would have been far less encouraging in regards to the ending, than taking them out now.

The Ice Zombies were always overrated as fuck, people who are just now realizing this are feeling let down, but they were only good when we barely knew anything about them, just glad the writers were smart enough to ditch that baggage and make the ending about what the show is actually good at, well hopefully anyway.

Still think they could and probably will fuck up the ending, but this was strategically necessary to give the ending any chance of being good.
*yip*