Game of Thrones - mostly

Kath

Re: Game of Thrones - mostly

Post by Kath » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:39 pm

pineapplemike wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:17 pm
yes it would, you don't know shit about tv, take it from me, i watched breaking bad and the wire and the sopranos
Why are all the Gods such vicious cunts? Where's the God of tits and wine?

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:41 pm

StCapps wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:20 pm
pineapplemike wrote:
yes it would, you don't know shit about tv, take it from me, i watched breaking bad and the wire and the sopranos
It already worked, making it work for no reason, would undermine established canon.
seeing the look on all of the faces of all of the heroes of westeros, when their weapons fail, when it finally dawns on them that winter has come, will be the climax of the series

brewster

Post by brewster » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:44 pm

StCapps wrote:
It already worked, making it work for no reason, would undermine established canon.
You work (possibly), but if I melted you down and let you solidify, you wouldn't. Now, I'll concede that it's possible where there's magic shit just works differently, since it also bugged me they melted down Ned's sword Ice and cast it into forms, which anyone knows ain't how you make a fucking sword!

And just to be clear, dragonglass IS obsidian, it says so in the books. Here's a quote interesting for a number of reasons.
"Take a lesson, Bran. The man who trusts in spells is dueling with a glass sword. As the children did. Here, let me show you something.“ He stood abruptly, crossed the room, and returned with a green jar in his good hand. "Have a look at these,” he said as he pulled the stopper and shook out a handful of shiny black arrowheads.
Bran picked one up. “It’s made of glass.” Curious, Rickon drifted closer to peer over the table.
“Dragonglass,” Osha named it as she sat down beside Luwin, bandagings in hand.
“Obsidian,” Maester Luwin insisted, holding out his wounded arm. “Forged in the fires of the gods, far below the earth. The children of the forest hunted with that, thousands of years ago. The children worked no metal. In place of mail, they wore long shirts of woven leaves and bound their legs in bark, so they seemed to melt into the wood. In place of swords, they carried blades of obsidian.”
“And still do.” Osha placed soft pads over the bites on the maester’s forearm and bound them tight with long strips of linen.
Bran held the arrowhead up close. The black glass was slick and shiny. He thought it beautiful. “Can I keep one?”
“As you wish,” the maester said.
“I want one too,” Rickon said. “I want four. I’m four."
Luwin made him count them out. "Careful, they’re still sharp. Don’t cut yourself.”
“Tell me about the children,” Bran said. It was important.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:43 pm

pineapplemike wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:41 pm
StCapps wrote:
pineapplemike wrote:
seeing the look on all of the faces of all of the heroes of westeros, when their weapons fail, when it finally dawns on them that winter has come, will be the climax of the series
It really won't. They aren't going to let the Night King win, dream on.
*yip*

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:45 pm

brewster wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:44 pm
StCapps wrote:
You work (possibly), but if I melted you down and let you solidify, you wouldn't. Now, I'll concede that it's possible where there's magic shit just works differently, since it also bugged me they melted down Ned's sword Ice and cast it into forms, which anyone knows ain't how you make a fucking sword!

And just to be clear, dragonglass IS obsidian, it says so in the books. Here's a quote interesting for a number of reasons.
"Take a lesson, Bran. The man who trusts in spells is dueling with a glass sword. As the children did. Here, let me show you something.“ He stood abruptly, crossed the room, and returned with a green jar in his good hand. "Have a look at these,” he said as he pulled the stopper and shook out a handful of shiny black arrowheads.
Bran picked one up. “It’s made of glass.” Curious, Rickon drifted closer to peer over the table.
“Dragonglass,” Osha named it as she sat down beside Luwin, bandagings in hand.
“Obsidian,” Maester Luwin insisted, holding out his wounded arm. “Forged in the fires of the gods, far below the earth. The children of the forest hunted with that, thousands of years ago. The children worked no metal. In place of mail, they wore long shirts of woven leaves and bound their legs in bark, so they seemed to melt into the wood. In place of swords, they carried blades of obsidian.”
“And still do.” Osha placed soft pads over the bites on the maester’s forearm and bound them tight with long strips of linen.
Bran held the arrowhead up close. The black glass was slick and shiny. He thought it beautiful. “Can I keep one?”
“As you wish,” the maester said.
“I want one too,” Rickon said. “I want four. I’m four."
Luwin made him count them out. "Careful, they’re still sharp. Don’t cut yourself.”
“Tell me about the children,” Bran said. It was important.
We've already seen forged dragon glass work on the white walkers. It might not work on the night king, probably need valyrian steel for that. But the white walkers have been killed by forged dragon glass on screen, already. Overthinking Over 9000.
*yip*

brewster

Post by brewster » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:52 pm

StCapps wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:45 pm
We've already seen forged dragon glass work on the white walkers.
How did you know it was forged not knapped like every obsidian dagger ever known on Earth? I do not recall any mention of this, and as you have observed, this is in my wheelhouse. I have actually taken stone knapping lessons, was one of the coolest things I ever did with my son when he was little.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:02 pm

brewster wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:52 pm
StCapps wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:45 pm
We've already seen forged dragon glass work on the white walkers.
How did you know it was forged not knapped like every obsidian dagger ever known on Earth? I do not recall any mention of this, and as you have observed, this is in my wheelhouse. I have actually taken stone knapping lessons, was one of the coolest things I ever did with my son when he was little.
The GoT writers don't give a shit about your wheelhouse, and they never did. They don't care about knapping or forging, they just want magic weapons dumbass.
*yip*

Kath

Post by Kath » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:14 pm

brewster wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:52 pm

What do you think you are watching? You know what else is fake? Every other plot point in the entire series. :-)

Dragons the size of 747s? Fake
Women who give birth to magical murderous smoke babies? Fake
People who can survive being in a raging fire and come out without even a scar? Fake
Green wildfire? Fake
Being able to pull off a perfectly timed execution/explosion of almost all of your enemies in one shot? Unlikely.
Knights wearing armor 24/7? Fake
The drowned god? Prolly fake
An assassin who trained with the many faced gods? Fake

The list of fake things in GoT is endless. Why are you focusing on a teeny tiny thing, compared to all the other fake things that you suspend reality for in order to enjoy the show? Magic is magical and can wipe out any real-world impossible things.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:17 pm

Kath gets it, for once.
*yip*

Kath

Post by Kath » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:29 pm

StCapps wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:17 pm
Kath gets it, for once.
:roll: You and I agree way more than you acknowledge. You are just incredibly butt hurt, (for some reason,) that I find your sacred TV shows boring. The topics don't interest me. I watched several episodes of The Sopranos, and it was lacking. I watched two episodes of The Wire and it failed to capture me. After one episode, Nerd & I agreed that Breaking Bad/glorifying a meth maker was not a topic that interests us.

Just deal and move on; it's no reflection of you. I'm sure they are quality shows; I absolutely believe that, but they just don't interest me. There is an endless list of high quality things that I don't enjoy.

Everyone "in the food know," is crazy about foie gras. I think it's horrid. It doesn't mean I have bad taste in food; it means I don't like foie gras. It's not a reflection of the critics who like foie gras, nor is it a reflection of me.

Opinions are like assholes; everyone has one, and no two people will ever agree on 100% of all the things.