Shark Tank

Speaker to Animals

Re: Shark Tank

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:54 am

I aspire to do cool athletic things. To build a super efficient farm. To completely overcome a disability. People who do those things I look up to. It doesn't mean I don't respect other's accomplishments.

If I achieved a Maltese cross on the rings, I am sure Martin would respect the accomplishment but, because he doesn't personally aspire to anything like that, he's not likely to envy it.

But if Martin uploaded a video of him doing that particular isometric hold, I would definitely envy that shit.

katarn

Post by katarn » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:02 am

Martin Hash wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:14 pm
Is there anybody else who wants to dismiss my accomplishments, or is it just people who have none?
Dismissing outright and disputing the impossibility of your accomplishments are different. But hey, I don't have any degrees, not even a high school diploma, so who am I to offer input here?
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:05 am

There is a chef here in Asheville who has no degrees. He is an ex-con. Taught himself to cook. The food he makes is absolutely amazing. Great accomplishment. I wish I could cook like that.

This Puritan obsession with degrees and licenses doesn't really do it for people outside of Yankee culture. Even within Yankee culture, the working class thinks it's a joke. You have people with degrees struggling to live with huge student debts and no job security. Meanwhile a tradesmen is living a decent life.

It just depends what you aspire to.

Even when I was going for the PhD before the pain took me out, it wasn't the degree I gave a shit about but the knowledge.
Last edited by Speaker to Animals on Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:05 am

I think that's the key.
Have to kill it in an area where millions of others aspire to kill it, and envy your success.
Boom, fame.

Kill it where few others aspire to do the same, no fame.
/shrug

Doesn't diminish the accomplishment, the drive, or the discipline required to achieve what you have.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:47 am

The 1 in a 100 ratio I’ve mentioned. Keeping the 9 off my back while I try to find the 1 is the biggest challenge. Just yesterday somebody on Facebook was sure impressed but suspicious why they’d never heard of me before?
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:02 am

Martin Hash wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:47 am
The 1 in a 100 ratio I’ve mentioned. Keeping the 9 off my back while I try to find the 1 is the biggest challenge. Just yesterday somebody on Facebook was sure impressed but suspicious why they’d never heard of me before?
I recently saw a brilliant marketing move pulled off by an indie-rapper who also reacts to music. He dropped a diss track which targeted a bigger rapper, but he also name-dropped some of the most famous YouTube reactors in his genre.

The result - every YouTube reactor he name dropped reacted to his video, of course. Gave him exposure to at least a million more people than he normally would’ve reached. Brilliant.

So ... maybe you need the equivalent of a political diss track, and be sure to name the big YouTube political pundits when you do it?

Not a direct correlation, sure - but if you could modify that approach in a way that gains you the same exposure you’d be more famous.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:05 am

Obviously, members of this forum are not my demographic. I need to spend more energy elsewhere.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:20 am

*delete*

I own this fucking board.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:12 am

I'm uneducated, the only way I can assess an academic, is based on how much money they've made, or how many court cases they've won.

Otherwise, it's all just underwater basket weaving.

I do know military certifications tho.

If you say Ranger Assessment and Selection Program; I know what that means.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:18 am

True. People admire money, the more money, the more admiration; doesn’t make any difference where it comes from. Sam Walton’s heirs are some of the most admired people in the world.

Fame is something else.