AT&T

Martin Hash

AT&T

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:49 am

I called my son, Haven, who lives in Lima, Peru, the other night just on the spur of the moment. I didn't have anything to talk about, I just wanted to catch up on his family. We had a great conversation about him learning his wife, Mirian's, native language of Quechua (she's full-blooded Incan), and how my grandson, Felix, is doing. A couple days later, I received a “courtesy” text message from AT&T saying I had incurred International charges of over $100. First I looked it up on my AT&T phone app, but there was nothing, so I called 611, AT&T's Customer Support to see what was happening. At least the customer support person spoke perfect English and knew just what the deal was.
“Is this Martin?”
“Yes.”
“What's your security code?”
“I don't know. I've never used a security code. I just use my finger.”
“I don't have your finger, I need a security code.
“Let's say I don't have a security code, what do we do now?”
“I will text you a security code. What is the last 4 digits of your Social Security Number?”
“9626.”
Obviously, I had already proven my identity: the Customer Support agent knew what number I was calling from, she knew my name, and she knew I knew the last 4 digits of my SSN; but we continued the charade of her texting me a number that I dutifully typed back in.
“Now, what do you want to be your new security code?” she asked.
“9626, of course,” I answered.
Security Code s.jpg
Finally, I was able to explain to her about the text message and wanted to understand how I had a $100 bill. I suspected my number had been pirated; I'd seen that before during my world travels, but no, it was a real charge; and in fact, it wasn't $100, it was $165! $165! for one 51 minute call. AT&T is the very epitome of monopoly operation. They get you locked in by selling you an iPhone for 2 years, forcing you to use their shitty service.

The Customer Support agent went into sales pitch mode, “There are ways to save money with AT&T. For just $5 per month...”
I cut her off.
“No thank you. I have 11206 minutes, and in the past month, the only minutes I've used are the 32 minutes calling you. I don't want anything more. I just won't call there.”
Minutes.jpg
“But you can save money...”
“No thank you. I have a long history of outrageous phone bills from AT&T.” I recounted a few of my most recent experiences. “I've paid over $500 each of the past two months and I literally don't talk on the phone. By the way, if there is some kind of rating for what I think of AT&T, I want you to put me down for a zero.” At no point did I get angry or raise my voice.

The ironic thing is, I'd spend $165 again to talk to Haven.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Fife

Re: AT&T

Post by Fife » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:01 am

Carlos Slim has a deal for you.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:56 am

Just use VOIP.
Nec Aspera Terrent

brewster

Post by brewster » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:21 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:56 am
Just use VOIP.
Yup. There's dozens of apps, including Skype & Whatsapp, that would do that over IP. I had a boiler crisis in a rental over Christmas while I was in Panama, and was eventually able to call home via Whatsapp. I didn't have it installed, and I found you can't install it without a number for them to text to! I was able to get a local SIM and service for like $8.

Phone companies suck, I just can't decide if they're better or worse than broadband companies.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:23 am

Already paying for broadband, why pay for a phone line on top?

I've never gone over my limit on VOIP minutes once.
Nec Aspera Terrent

brewster

Post by brewster » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:26 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:23 am

The totally free apps usually require both parties to have it, and only talk on their cells. I have Ooma for VOIP, and it does cost like $4/mo, plus I pay extra for forwarding to my cell.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:28 am

Anybody here use Slack?

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:32 am

brewster wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:26 am
Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:23 am

The totally free apps usually require both parties to have it, and only talk on their cells. I have Ooma for VOIP, and it does cost like $4/mo, plus I pay extra for forwarding to my cell.
I think it costs me $9.99 for 500 minutes, but I never use 500 minutes.
Nec Aspera Terrent

brewster

Post by brewster » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:33 am

Fife wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:28 am
Anybody here use Slack?
I only know it as chat rooms.

brewster

Post by brewster » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:37 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:32 am
I think it costs me $9.99 for 500 minutes, but I never use 500 minutes.
My wife pays nearly $30 for her Vonage, but she loves the emailed transcribed voicemails and won't give it up for cheaper service. I'm actually trying to figure out how to get that on my cell. Tried an app that never installed right.